3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Buying a 2007 Big Horn without a warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 07:30 AM
jgd2305
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a 2007 Big Horn without a warranty?

The truck I'm looking at buying is a 2007 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Hemi Quad Cab 4X4, it only has 13,000 miles, but the factory 3/36 warranty is almost up. I'm a little nervous about buying a truck wihout a warranty, what kind of issues has this year/model truck had? Would it be a good idea to try to purchase a powertrain warranty?

I have an 04 with a 4.7 that I bought new and I've never had a problem with it.

Thanks Guys!

Old 09-11-2009, 08:19 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

I hear about the occasional balljoint or tierod failure and ofcourse the rack & pinion leakage. I noticed my '08 is starting to leak a little. i woud say those aren't worth buying a warranty for, but I do all the work myself. If you can do some work yourself, then don't buy a warranty. There are a bunch of How-to's for things like balljoint replacements....etc...just to let you know.
I would change out the rear diff fluid, front diff fluid, and transfercase and that's about all it needs for now.

Old 09-11-2009, 09:17 AM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You could always purchase an aftermarket warranty if you really need to have one. I had one on my old bronco when I was about 20 and it paid for a new tranny to be put in.

Just out of curiosity, what are they asking for the truck?

Old 09-11-2009, 09:59 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by Off_Road_Teacher

Just out of curiosity, what are they asking for the truck?
curiosity kills the cat.....lol
This could be a can of worms for this guy. Your setting him up for a beating before he even owns a Ram....lmfao

It books for $23k. It has 13kmi which is practically new. it's the identical truck to mine which stickered for $37,780 just last May. I paid $31k plus I got extra money for my trade-in, so in the end not trying to make things look good on paper, i paid $29k for my truck which is a 2008. I have already priced my truck out for when my lease ends and I value it right about 19-20k because of the mileage.
i would say you will pay between 19-22k for that truck. The market is just so different from zip-zip.
The guy i sold my Mustang to (Arkansas) said things around him were booming. here in NY. Unemployment is up to 9.7%

Old 09-11-2009, 10:14 AM
jgd2305
Rookie

Thanks for the interest guys, their asking price is $22800, it's a 2007 1500 Big Horn Quad Cab 4X4, options are: 5.7 Hemi, dual power seats with lumbar, bucket seats with center console, factory bed liner, tow package with hitch, factory mopar stainless step bars, and the thing I really like is that it's that rare blue color that you don't see much. I know down south that price might be high, but honestly, up north here in Minnesota thats about the best price I've seen for that truck with those options and only 13k miles.

The research I've done tells me that price is pretty good, the only thing I'm nervous about is the factory warranty running out soon, I don't know what it would cost to buy an extended powertrain warranty, but I'm sure it's something I can negotiate with.

The kbb suggested retail is $25,210 in excellent condition, so they are asking about $2,400 under book, they are going to give me $12,600 for my trade, which is about $2,300 more than the kbb trade in value of my truck which is around $10,300

Last edited by jgd2305; 09-11-2009 at 10:23 AM.
Old 09-11-2009, 01:44 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by jgd2305

The kbb suggested retail is $25,210 in excellent condition, so they are asking about $2,400 under book, they are going to give me $12,600 for my trade, which is about $2,300 more than the kbb trade in value of my truck which is around $10,300
Dealers love to give KBB price. Whenever a salesman bring out a KBB sheet I say get that outta my face. It is not the Industry standard and the prices are generally inflated on the sales end compared to NADA which all dealers use for main price source. Dealers love to sell a vehicle by KBB prices but trade-in they give NADA prices. i always loved that strategy...lol
I priced out that on NADA B4 I posted earlier. i came out with $23k for high retail which is exactly what they are asking.
Any dealer that goes to the auction brings 2 books. The previous weeks listings for price basing and the NADA book for confirmation. At least that's most here in NY.

You just cannot go by KBB Period! Doesn't matter if you "think" the dealer uses KBB, because they don't. It's not the Industry standard.
Doc..Doc??? Help??...lol What do you guys use?

Last edited by dirtydog; 09-11-2009 at 01:54 PM.
Old 09-11-2009, 08:38 PM
jgd2305
Rookie
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by dirtydog
Dealers love to give KBB price. Whenever a salesman bring out a KBB sheet I say get that outta my face. It is not the Industry standard and the prices are generally inflated on the sales end compared to NADA which all dealers use for main price source. Dealers love to sell a vehicle by KBB prices but trade-in they give NADA prices. i always loved that strategy...lol
I priced out that on NADA B4 I posted earlier. i came out with $23k for high retail which is exactly what they are asking.
Any dealer that goes to the auction brings 2 books. The previous weeks listings for price basing and the NADA book for confirmation. At least that's most here in NY.

You just cannot go by KBB Period! Doesn't matter if you "think" the dealer uses KBB, because they don't. It's not the Industry standard.
They didn't bring up KBB, it's just something I mentioned here for the hell of it. I have had dealers tell me my truck is only worth 10,300 because KBB says so, obviously I didn't agree. It's interesting that you came up with a lower price from KBB than I did, maybe it's the zip code difference?

I drove the truck tonight, it drives and looks like brand new, it's very tight, as it should be with only 13k. As I said, that's a pretty good price for my area, the dealer has been really decent, I just haven't quite decided what I want to do, I drove an 09, and it was amazing, like driving a really, really nice car, but I just don't know if I trust that suspension to tow a 6K pound trailer, my buddy has an 09 SLT 4X4 and we hooked a 3500 pound boat up to it and it squatted a lot more than my 04 does.

Keep the opinions coming guys, I'm open to any input, just please don't tell me that truck should sell for X amount under 20K, it just doesn't happen around here. For reference in case you guys are interested, my zip is 55971.

Thanks guys

Old 09-11-2009, 09:39 PM
Docwhitley
Rookie

I have already priced my truck out for when my lease ends and I value it right about 19-20k because of the mileage.

I think I have seen you say this before... And I know you were in the business for awhile... So when you say you value it at 19-20K because of the mileage what do you mean?

Are you saying your GPP is between 19-20? Because I would have guessed it would have been closer to 13-14?

I thought about leasing a vehicle but the GPP were not where I wanted them to be

Old 09-11-2009, 09:51 PM
Docwhitley
Rookie

Originally Posted by jgd2305
the only thing I'm nervous about is the factory warranty running out soon, I don't know what it would cost to buy an extended powertrain warranty, but I'm sure it's something I can negotiate with.
Ok not sure if anyone has taught you about warranties so quic lesson so you dont get burned

1- There is no such thing in the car business as an extended Warranty. They are Servic Contracts- Warranties are only offered by the manufacturer and since a dealership is individually owned... They can not offer warranty

2- Three levels of coverage
A- Exclussionary- Tells you Exactly what is NOT covered
B- Inclussionary- States what is covered
C- Powertrain- Lowest level typically only covers lubricated parts

There is no legal term Bumper to Bumper... They may say it covers everything but read the coverage.
If you want a rough idea on a warranty call 1800 car chex and ask for Rob Pearlstien ... Tell him Will Whitley sent you and he will tell you what is available.

Old 09-11-2009, 10:04 PM
Docwhitley
Rookie

Well... Kelly is just a guide... Kelly has never bought a car in their life.... Now with that said
It looks like a good deal... You are in the ball park of High NADA and it does have extras... If you use KBB then most Dealers will use it to justify the price because Consumerstrust Kelly... Now for those that think Kelly inflates the retail... I will give you a trade secret... So do the dealerships... that is why they never point out this phrase as they try to get more .... " the reselling dealer incurs the cost of safety inspections, reconditioning and other costs of doing business. "

As far as what I used when I bought cars.. Black book and experience. I knew from going to the auction what cars went for... But the Black book came in every week and was my bible... Never left my side... I could be going down the street and I would price out cars

Quick Reply: Buying a 2007 Big Horn without a warranty?