3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Hemi engine swap! finally got it and starting swap, ill keep updating this as i go!

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2009, 08:43 PM
RubberFrog
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You're high.

A 345hp hemi puts 260 to the wheels. Period. I don't care how many Chevy's you built. We've all had plenty of hotrods, but these hemis are a whole new beast. To put 400 to the wheels, you will need 475-500 at the crank.

Old 11-25-2009, 11:19 PM
RawRam2006
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RubberFrog
You're high.

A 345hp hemi puts 260 to the wheels. Period. I don't care how many Chevy's you built. We've all had plenty of hotrods, but these hemis are a whole new beast. To put 400 to the wheels, you will need 475-500 at the crank.

Thank you, enough said. Finally someone agrees..........

Somehow I knew I wasn't stupid........

Old 11-25-2009, 11:29 PM
OlDirtyJohn
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RawRam2006
Thank you, enough said. Finally someone agrees..........

Somehow I knew I wasn't stupid........
dont worry, i believed you all along. but more importantly. did you make your sig pic in MS Paint?

Old 11-25-2009, 11:45 PM
RawRam2006
Veteran

No, actually the person who did it, did it with Photoshop. I mean, it looks like a doctored photo, but it'll work for now.....at least till I can afford the candy paint. That shiz costs like $40 a pint. Or something crazy like that.....IDK, I can't remember right off hand.

N thanks, for agreeing, been around this stuff all my life. That was the first time someone questioned me......LOL.

My daddy didn't raise no fool! LOL!

Old 11-27-2009, 09:36 PM
berndog67
Rookie

You're high.

well i found a guy i work with who had his 05 hemi ram on a dyno, and 260 isnt a bad "guess", but it actually was 284 for two runs, and he went back after a few bolt-ons (which i havent found out exactly what he has yet!) but he was well over 330 he said, wouldnt tell me exactly, not sure why, cuz my mods and upgrades are aiming quite higher, i have done plenty to get it at least a little over 450 at the crank (big thanks to a friend at the dealership for a sick flash and program setup, cuz i have 6.1L hemi injectors along with a host of other upgrades that would lean it out, so together it should even out with the flash), and factoring in the 16-18% power loss (which i was told by the friend of the family who works at my local dodge dealership) i should be around 370-380ish at the rear wheels, so 400 is not that far to leap or get there, so please dont bagger me about 20-30 hp off, it was only a guess-timate! but thats only the beginning if you were reading this thread, i have a supercharger setup going in in the spring, looking at 5-10psi of boost to start, but anyways i only talked with him for a min or two while leaving work, but ill have to talk more and see where he went, and when im all done getting my hemi swapped in, ill take it where he did and post up the data sheet and graph, well have fun knocking on me for something else!! LOL

P.S.: i have never been, nor ever will be high, the only thing that comes close is burying that gas pedal!! LOL

Last edited by berndog67; 11-27-2009 at 09:39 PM.
Old 11-27-2009, 11:53 PM
Frenchy
Banned

what i wanna know is this...

if with the modifications you've done, why does EVERYONE say it's impossible to swap a 5.7 HEMI into the Dakota.

I mean, it has to have the same motor mounts as yours had. Ugh.

Old 11-28-2009, 11:24 AM
BadHab1t
Grand Champion

maybe a smaller engine compartment in the daks.... 5-10lbs of boost either a your gonna fry a tranny or b youll never hook....i was talking to a guy last night w/ a krc perf. challenger 740 rwhp and when he first boosted it w/10 he fried the tranny immediately then had to have it built for 1000hp and now only pushes 14lbs tops just something to think about.....

Old 11-28-2009, 11:36 AM
RubberFrog
Champion

Originally Posted by berndog67
well i found a guy i work with who had his 05 hemi ram on a dyno, and 260 isnt a bad "guess", but it actually was 284 for two runs, and he went back after a few bolt-ons (which i havent found out exactly what he has yet!) but he was well over 330 he said, wouldnt tell me exactly, not sure why, cuz my mods and upgrades are aiming quite higher, i have done plenty to get it at least a little over 450 at the crank (big thanks to a friend at the dealership for a sick flash and program setup, cuz i have 6.1L hemi injectors along with a host of other upgrades that would lean it out, so together it should even out with the flash), and factoring in the 16-18% power loss (which i was told by the friend of the family who works at my local dodge dealership) i should be around 370-380ish at the rear wheels, so 400 is not that far to leap or get there, so please dont bagger me about 20-30 hp off, it was only a guess-timate! but thats only the beginning if you were reading this thread, i have a supercharger setup going in in the spring, looking at 5-10psi of boost to start, but anyways i only talked with him for a min or two while leaving work, but ill have to talk more and see where he went, and when im all done getting my hemi swapped in, ill take it where he did and post up the data sheet and graph, well have fun knocking on me for something else!! LOL

P.S.: i have never been, nor ever will be high, the only thing that comes close is burying that gas pedal!! LOL
I'm not try to "bagger" you or bring down your high (just kidding), or anything like that. I'm just telling you that I've been doing this for a while now and I know a lot of guys with fast hemis. No one is pulling 284 rwhp stock. I've seen a few guys claim it, but they always end up getting caught in their own bs. ~260 rwhp is stock. That's just the way it is. And no way a few bolt ons is over 330. The reason your buddy wouldn't tell you what he did is because he did more than a few bolt ons... I'm sorry to blow your bubble here.

If you want a good tune, lose that "sick" dealer flash. The mopar performance pcm is way outdated. Superchips is great for a mild motor, or look at a diablo for a cam'd up motor. Go with SCT for a full custom tune (which you'll need to properly support that tuner).

This isn't a real gearhead site, and no offense to the members here, but you're not likely to get good/accurate advice. There are a number of good hemi sites for performance, but this isn't one of them. Find one of the others and you'll see that I am only giving you straight advice.

If you are serious about the supercharger, I know two guys with sc'd hemis that I can put you in touch with for advice. There are a lot of tuning hassles involved, and they put some severe limitations on your truck when towing, driving at higher elevations, etc. The dodge **** pcm just doesn't play nice.

Old 11-28-2009, 11:46 PM
berndog67
Rookie

I'm not try to "bagger" you or bring down your high (just kidding), or anything like that. I'm just telling you that I've been doing this for a while now and I know a lot of guys with fast hemis. No one is pulling 284 rwhp stock. I've seen a few guys claim it, but they always end up getting caught in their own bs. ~260 rwhp is stock. That's just the way it is. And no way a few bolt ons is over 330. The reason your buddy wouldn't tell you what he did is because he did more than a few bolt ons... I'm sorry to blow your bubble here.

If you want a good tune, lose that "sick" dealer flash. The mopar performance pcm is way outdated. Superchips is great for a mild motor, or look at a diablo for a cam'd up motor. Go with SCT for a full custom tune (which you'll need to properly support that tuner).

This isn't a real gearhead site, and no offense to the members here, but you're not likely to get good/accurate advice. There are a number of good hemi sites for performance, but this isn't one of them. Find one of the others and you'll see that I am only giving you straight advice.

If you are serious about the supercharger, I know two guys with sc'd hemis that I can put you in touch with for advice. There are a lot of tuning hassles involved, and they put some severe limitations on your truck when towing, driving at higher elevations, etc. The dodge **** pcm just doesn't play nice.
no thats cool, yeah i dont take his word for 100% truth to begin with, just a decent starting point, but yeah what supercharger guys you talking about, cuz i was checking out the kenny ball, procharger, and vortech guys a bit ago, they are a bit pricey, but i have seen a few used ones and other deals on them, i was looking at a turbo setup, a remote mounted one, but for all the extra weight, tubing, and fabrication, it doesnt seem quite as easy on the wallet if ya know what i mean! plus i have always liked that kick in the pants you get from a supercharger in the lower rpms and speeds, as opposed to the kick at higher rpms and speeds, plus ill keep about the same gas mileage if not gain a little bit, so i have heard with these hemis

Originally Posted by jusjay727
maybe a smaller engine compartment in the daks.... 5-10lbs of boost either a your gonna fry a tranny or b youll never hook....i was talking to a guy last night w/ a krc perf. challenger 740 rwhp and when he first boosted it w/10 he fried the tranny immediately then had to have it built for 1000hp and now only pushes 14lbs tops just something to think about.....
well im def not looking for 700 at the rear wheels, but im def looking for somewhere in the mid to high 400's, but i know my tranny will take it, cuz it only has around 40k worth of miles and mostly highway miles, and the 545RFE multi 5 speed auto is plenty stout to run what i plan on doing, but anything more than 500 and really laying into the pedal will def decrease the lifespan and kill it very quick i have been told, obviously im not planning on racing everyday, i just wanted some more streetable power just like the next guy

Originally Posted by Frenchy
what i wanna know is this...

if with the modifications you've done, why does EVERYONE say it's impossible to swap a 5.7 HEMI into the Dakota.

I mean, it has to have the same motor mounts as yours had. Ugh.
well the dak's never really came with the hemi, so the wiring is completely different, but it is def possible, i know several guys, one personally that has done, so but they were all later 90's dak's, and the guy i knew did it on a 2000 one that had a 4.7 and 45RFE, which is the same as the hemi 545Rfe trans, except for the program/software, so he had to make his own motor mounts, get all the accessories and plumbing for hemi and modify them to your application like me, but instead of swapping engine and trans computers and wiring harness with some minor splicing like me, he had to completely get new plugs and splice every single wire in the main harness, he got it working, but took plenty of time! you will prolly need a bigger exhaust too, cuz im not sure what configuration they use or size, if you want ill find the forum where i found a guy who did it, you can get ahold of him to get exact plans and know how!

Old 11-28-2009, 11:51 PM
Frenchy
Banned

oh, I've got no intent on doing such. just something I've always wondered...

Quick Reply: Hemi engine swap! finally got it and starting swap, ill keep updating this as i go!