3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Hemi engine swap! finally got it and starting swap, ill keep updating this as i go!

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 10:31 PM
rtmtrrdr
All Star
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

no way!.something thats going to be that beautiful needs to be lifted.that way everyone can see the awsomness

Old 11-20-2009, 12:20 PM
jerre.place
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can you give me the layout of your custom engine mounts so I can fab some up myself? I think your thread is great, and it's perfect timing as I got my Hemi swap project happening at the same time! I am also looking for that dash wiring harness... if I find one I will let you know where I got it.

Old 11-20-2009, 06:20 PM
RawRam2006
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just cut your factory engine mounts off, get the "hemi' engine mounts off the other car, bolt them to the engine. Then set the motor in the truck and mark where the holes are on the frame and take the motor back out. Take the mounts off the motor, put them over the spot where you marked the holes and plug weld them on, then just run a bead around the whole engine mount. Then re-install your engine and be done with it.

Or, yes, you can just take the basic design of the hemi engine mounts and fab up your on. Tis up to you.

Old 11-20-2009, 06:33 PM
Shiloh 24
Record Breaker

I haven't been on here for quite some time and I see you have made some serious progress since the last time I looked! I hope you don't put expensive tires on from the get-go I wanna see what that 02 beast can do (or should I say how many thousands of dollars worth of tires it can burn through)!

Old 11-21-2009, 06:23 PM
berndog67
Rookie

Originally Posted by rtmtrrdr
no way!.something thats going to be that beautiful needs to be lifted.that way everyone can see the awsomness

oh yes im getting some torsion keys to raise the front 3" and 2" blocks in the back, and putting on Driv GT Truck rims (prolly go with 20's, maybe 22's if im really bold) and then wrap them in Nitto Dune Grapplers (to match the subtle flame theme on and in my truck)

Originally Posted by jerre.place
Can you give me the layout of your custom engine mounts so I can fab some up myself? I think your thread is great, and it's perfect timing as I got my Hemi swap project happening at the same time! I am also looking for that dash wiring harness... if I find one I will let you know where I got it.

well i finally got the driver side one out the other day (thanks to three rusty bolts on the diff housing part) so soon as i finish that on mon (my next day off) ill post up a diagram for each side showing the bolt patterns and pics on my photobucket account made for this project that show the mounts before and after, and in fact i believe i already have the passenger side pics already up there, that was the easier side of course

Originally Posted by Shiloh 24
I haven't been on here for quite some time and I see you have made some serious progress since the last time I looked! I hope you don't put expensive tires on from the get-go I wanna see what that 02 beast can do (or should I say how many thousands of dollars worth of tires it can burn through)!

well the stick 05 hemi i got for my swap was rated at 345 horse of course, but i know ill be putting about 400 at the crank with all of my upgrades, but i have an auto, so ill loose about 40 or so, but then when i do get all the computer stuff done and working, ill be throwing on my superchips powerpaq to grab 50 more, so ill be putting over 400 at the back tires for now, and then in the spring or summer i plan on building my own twin turbo setup based off STS's rear mounted system, but ill be running a true dual exhaust all the way back and a turbo on each side, and do some math at 3 to 6 psi i should be putting anywhere from 600 to 800 or more if i really wanted to, so for now ill just burn my stock tires, but during the summer ill roast them and blow them out!!

Old 11-21-2009, 07:35 PM
RawRam2006
Veteran

well the stick 05 hemi i got for my swap was rated at 345 horse of course, but i know ill be putting about 400 at the crank with all of my upgrades, but i have an auto, so ill loose about 40 or so, but then when i do get all the computer stuff done and working, ill be throwing on my superchips powerpaq to grab 50 more, so ill be putting over 400 at the back tires for now, and then in the spring or summer i plan on building my own twin turbo setup based off STS's rear mounted system, but ill be running a true dual exhaust all the way back and a turbo on each side, and do some math at 3 to 6 psi i should be putting anywhere from 600 to 800 or more if i really wanted to, so for now ill just burn my stock tires, but during the summer ill roast them and blow them out!![/QUOTE]

Umm, 345 at the crank is one thing. Your parasitic loss is high in these Dodges. Your comment about 400 at the rear wheels should have been worded as "I'll be sending 400hp to the rear wheels". LOL. If you want 400RWHP it's gonna take more then bolt on's. No offense, you got a good platform with the Hemi, certainly more then I got. But just remember to factor in your drivetrain loss or Parasitic loss.

Old 11-21-2009, 07:42 PM
RawRam2006
Veteran

With 345hp at your flywheel you're looking at a RWHP number in the ballpark of 294. You can use the 345hp figure to build your numbers with just do the math after to figure your RWHP number. It's not going to be exact, but close. Of course to get a true exact number you're gonna have to put the truck on a chassis dyno.

To achieve 400RWHP your flywheel HP is gonna have to be in the ballpark of 465. That's not completely accurate, but like I said in order to get it completely accurate you're gonna have to use a Chassis Dyno.

Last edited by RawRam2006; 11-21-2009 at 07:45 PM.
Old 11-24-2009, 11:39 PM
berndog67
Rookie

Originally Posted by RawRam2006
With 345hp at your flywheel you're looking at a RWHP number in the ballpark of 294. You can use the 345hp figure to build your numbers with just do the math after to figure your RWHP number. It's not going to be exact, but close. Of course to get a true exact number you're gonna have to put the truck on a chassis dyno.

To achieve 400RWHP your flywheel HP is gonna have to be in the ballpark of 465. That's not completely accurate, but like I said in order to get it completely accurate you're gonna have to use a Chassis Dyno.
well about the at the crank/flywheel and rear wheel horsepower (and yes originally i said crank in the previous post, cuz an automatic doesnt have a flywheel, it has a flexplate! so please dont correct me, i do know what im talking about), and idk where your from, but up here is how we say it, im not no top fuel dragster mechanic, but i do know my stuff and i know the loss is higher in the newer dodges than my old 86 chevy, which its loss was somewhere around 40, i was figuring about the same knowing to myself it would prolly have like 10 or 20 more less horsepower at the wheels than i was figuring, meaning yes i would prolly loss around 50, but with the numerous upgrades i have done and about to do, i will def have well over 400 BHP(brake horsepower, also known as power to the wheels, rear wheel horsepower, etc..) than i estimated originally, i will have a def guarantee of over 425, and yes that is with just a bunch of my bolt-ons, ported TB, srt 6.1L injectors and a sick tune from B&G, so yes it is possible without doing major component changes, but yes i plan on camming it and possibly the turbo or supercharger setup later in the spring or summer coming up, cuz the bank accounts took a hit with my motor quiting and this hemi swap didnt help!! lol

oh almost forgot, updates and more pics!! i finally got that darn driver side motor mount out, the worst hardware setup i have ever seen(those darn welded on nuts design!), and it the worst possibly place too! no room to work on those rusty bolts ya know?! well no match for the cut off tool!! i used the same setup as the passenger side, but due to the extra room and bigger plate, i just used a bolt thru design instead of the weld and bolt thru design i used on the passenger side, it was easier and faster, but just as strong! so its finally bolted in for good, putting all the modded intake, my custom built fuel injection harness, accessories, and belt back on, tomorrow after work ill be working on getting that old harness the rest of the way out and start plumbing the ac and putting some things back together, while im waiting for the hemi harness to come in! and yes i finally found one in PA!! should have it soon!

for those of you following this thread or interested, just check out my photobucket account for all the pics of this swap and mods:

http://s270.photobucket.com/albums/j...20Dodge%20Ram/

Old 11-25-2009, 02:07 AM
RawRam2006
Veteran

It's all speculation till you post some dyno sheets. But, you probably do know way more then I do..................so have fun with that.

Old 11-25-2009, 08:16 PM
berndog67
Rookie

oh yes it will def be fun to find out for sure!! course the butt dyno will be much more satisfying than having a piece of paper handed to you or looking at a graph, plus to be honest i have never seen or heard of any places around where i am that have a dyno you can use, but then again i really havent done much looking, well there is a question, has anyone used a dyno before, and where did you go, any places that might be more likely to have one to use, oh and how much would it cost approximately?

oh and a couple more updates on my hemi swap, got the belt on and everything is perfectly lined up, no shims needed (unlike my old chevy! LOL), got the fuel line plumbed in, most everything is tightened up and torqued to spec, and actually by using my own custom made motor mount adapter plates, the motor now has a 1 or 2 degree more slant to the rear, which actually lined up the drivetrain perfectly for my lift thats upcoming for it, course i will def need to get that transfer case indexing ring, so i can save myself from replacing the front driveshaft every year, oh and the guy who i am getting the wiring harness from, didnt ship it til today like 2 hrs ago, and via ups ground, so i wont even get it til dec 1st! so i guess ill have plenty of time to finish up a the few loose ends til it gets here!

for those of you following this thread or interested, just check out my photobucket account for all the pics of this swap and mods:

http://s270.photobucket.com/albums/j...20Dodge%20Ram/

Quick Reply: Hemi engine swap! finally got it and starting swap, ill keep updating this as i go!