3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Leveling kit & Limit Straps!!?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 09:18 PM
JRam_4.7
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I switched out the longer shocks for the stock ones and it DOES NOT HIT any more...however the ride is stiff as F*** & it seems to sit a lil lower now.

I'm still thinking of trying the limit straps with the longer shocks & see how that goes.

Old 10-22-2009, 09:28 PM
nim81
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

just get the limit straps and try it out.... make sure you ask about their return policy from the place of purchase so if they dont work out.....

Old 10-22-2009, 09:55 PM
cordaco
Rookie

Originally Posted by JRam_4.7
So I switched out the longer shocks for the stock ones and it DOES NOT HIT any more...however the ride is stiff as F*** & it seems to sit a lil lower now.

I'm still thinking of trying the limit straps with the longer shocks & see how that goes.
Before you spend money on straps, consider getting new shocks.

CTS makes a shock that is 1.5" longer.
Pro Comp has one that is 1" longer.
Pro Comp has one that is 1.25" longer.

Your problem is that your 2" longer shocks are slightly too long.

Old 10-22-2009, 10:15 PM
JRam_4.7
Rookie

See now this is real confusing because through this thread people have told me to get longer than 2" shocks, others to put back the stock shocks, and now to get longer than stock but shorter than 2". Dont know what to do.

2" is what everyone was recommending so why would people recommend the wrong thing?

Old 10-22-2009, 10:35 PM
cordaco
Rookie

Originally Posted by JRam_4.7
See now this is real confusing because through this thread people have told me to get longer than 2" shocks, others to put back the stock shocks, and now to get longer than stock but shorter than 2". Dont know what to do.

2" is what everyone was recommending so why would people recommend the wrong thing?
I know JRam, I'm sorry!!! I going through the same thing.

This is what I think is happening to you, which is what I am trying to avoid with my new shocks.

By you installing a 2.5" lift you have maxed out the droop travel of your stick length shocks. The advice you have been given to extend the length of the shocks is correct, even dough it is not recomended by most manufaturers. our 2wd trucks come with 14.125" length shocks. The idea is for the truck to ride somewhere in the middle of this range. By you raising 2.5" you are at the top of your travel. When you placed the 2" longer shocks you exceeded the travel of your upper control arm. As a result, when your truck goes up and your wheel goes down your control arm is hitting your spring bucket. I think that is the sound your hearing and feeling. This could be VERY BAD for you could break the ball joint or the aluminum control arm. If this happens at speed, need say no more .

Why am I recomending shorter shocks? Because the 2" longers are too long and the stick 14.125" are to short for your lift. Get in between to eliminate the bouncy ride you are getting with the stock shocks and the destructive metal to metal with the 16+" shocks. The bouncy ride you get with stock shocks is due to your ride not having any droop travel (wheel has no room to go down). As a result, you are riding only with compression and no rebound, or very little.

I hope this helped u...

Old 10-22-2009, 10:51 PM
JRam_4.7
Rookie

yeah cordaco that explains it real clear...thank you for taking your time to write it all up.

what shocks do you recommend i get? please post link or part number.

Old 10-22-2009, 10:59 PM
cordaco
Rookie

I will post those tomorrow. I have a norrowed down list at work down to three. I found a CTS shock that is 1.55" longer. I am leaning towards those.

Once again, I will post PN and model from work tomorrow.

Since we are on this topic, does anyone have any comments on CTS shocks? I know very little about them... Reviews are good and specs make it out to be a good Nitrogen shock.

Old 10-22-2009, 11:38 PM
JRam_4.7
Rookie

kool...

Old 10-23-2009, 10:50 AM
cordaco
Rookie

Hey JRam,

Just learned something that could help you keep your 16+" shocks. You say you are hitting only on one side, correct? Well, have you done an alignment recently? The reason I ask, is because the upper control arm moves left to right in order to control camber. The arm that is hitting could be alinged to give you more negative camber (the top of your wheel goes more towards the truck). In that case the upper control arm will have less travel.

Needles to say, if the opposite is occuring (The other wheel has positive camber) then you do need to give your shocks less travel. Keep in mind the shock controls the droop travel.

Here is the three I have on my list:
The CST CSR-1200 part number is 15.55" inches extended and 10.320" inches collapsed. ***
The ProComp MX6113 part number is 15.130" inches extended and 10.270" inches collapsed.
The ProComp 315511 part number is 15.69" inches extended and 10.02" inches collapsed.

Old 10-23-2009, 12:54 PM
explorer9950
Veteran

Hey Jram, if your going to try the 1.5" shocks, let me know if that works...like I said, I have the EXACT same problem as you...I got the 2" longer shocks and what not..and my "clunking" sound seems to be only on the drivers side...so if this works to fix the problem I will be going out today and buying new shocks...

Quick Reply: Leveling kit & Limit Straps!!?