3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

5.7 to 6.1 ignition conversion kit finished

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 07:59 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Default 5.7 to 6.1 ignition conversion kit finished

As some of you know, I was going to do my conversion kit this weekend and thats not only exactly what I did, but thats ALL I did.....

Anyway, the kit is located HERE for those who wanna see it. This really looks good and cleans things up a lot under the hood. The pass side VC is a biotch to get off. But once you get it and the other side swapped out, the rest is super easy. Unfortunately Ive got to take it all back apart in a few weeks so I can put in my cam. But this will also make room for my 6.1 intake I will do later on.

On a side note, I cant help but wonder if this will make me run slightly more rich because I am now firing both plugs in one cylinder simultaniously v/s one on each side of the engine. You know the OEM coils would fire the one the coils sits on top of and the other plug in another cylinder that the wire goes to. So IDK about that one but I was just wondering.

Anyway, its all done. It doesnt run any different and no power added. This is just a mod for looks.

http://cid-fb87bd8396fbfbf4.skydrive...1%20conversion

Old 10-25-2009, 08:02 PM
irelandshemi
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice looking mod

Old 10-25-2009, 10:39 PM
RedTruck-VA
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very nice looking mod!

Old 10-25-2009, 10:44 PM
oefootball_70
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

looks good man.

Old 10-26-2009, 06:51 PM
motorhead426
All Star

I'm curious why you kept the wires so long. I only used like 2-3 inches on each connector and that was still a lil too long for my tastes. Also, I would normally not say anything, but I have to ask because I saw one in the pics... what's the blue "scotch lock" for?

Glad to see you got everything running. Is it me? Or does the truck seem to start a lil faster? Like it cranks less? At least my dealer mechanic thought so too.

Old 10-26-2009, 07:55 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Does the newer style like my 08 fire both plugs at once or one for power and the other delayed for waste?
What 6.1L intake are you installing? All I've seen have the TB in the front instead of the rear?

Old 10-26-2009, 08:09 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by motorhead426
I'm curious why you kept the wires so long. I only used like 2-3 inches on each connector and that was still a lil too long for my tastes. Also, I would normally not say anything, but I have to ask because I saw one in the pics... what's the blue "scotch lock" for?

Glad to see you got everything running. Is it me? Or does the truck seem to start a lil faster? Like it cranks less? At least my dealer mechanic thought so too.
They are long but only for right now. My cam came in today and so I will have to take everything back apart to do that. When I do I will shorten them. They will need to be like that for the 6.1 intake later anyway.

The scotch lock ties my remote starter tach sense wire to the coil so it will start. IDK about the starting faster or cranking less.

Originally Posted by lxman1
Does the newer style like my 08 fire both plugs at once or one for power and the other delayed for waste?
What 6.1L intake are you installing? All I've seen have the TB in the front instead of the rear?
Yes they do fire both at the same time. Here is some info from AllData below.

The 6.1 with the TB in the front it the one Im talking about. The setup is costly when you have to have the intake, fuel rails, injectors and AC/Alt brackets. So while I am on the look out for a setup I can use, I assume it will be a while because Im not going to drop 1k+ on an intake setup. Hell, Ive got to install my cam and mount my LTs first.

Ignition Coil: Description and Operation
Operation

5.7L
The ignition system is controlled by the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) on all engines.

The 5.7L engine uses dual output coils, and 2 spark plugs per cylinder.
Each cylinder is equipped with 1 dual-output coil. Meaning one coil mounts directly over one of the dual spark plugs for 1 high-voltage output.

Battery voltage is supplied to all of the ignition coils positive terminals from the ASD relay. If the PCM does not see a signal from the crankshaft and camshaft sensors (indicating the ignition key is ON but the engine is not running), it will shut down the ASD circuit.

Base ignition timing is not adjustable. By controlling the coil ground circuits, the PCM is able to set the base timing and adjust the ignition timing advance. This is done to meet changing engine operating conditions.

The PCM adjusts ignition timing based on inputs it receives from:
- The engine coolant temperature sensor
- The crankshaft position sensor (engine speed)
- The camshaft position sensor (crankshaft position)
- The manifold absolute pressure (MAP) sensor
- The throttle position sensor
- Transmission gear selection

Old 10-26-2009, 08:19 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

That's what I thought. Cool. I just wonder why they call the ignition the 6.1L upgrade when it is the same as the 06-08 MDS ignition? No big deal I guess. 6.1L makes it sound faster I guess

Old 10-26-2009, 08:39 PM
draco8494
Captain

lol, i just did the shortie taylor wires, im not all that into the wiring scene, looks good tho, im REALLY wanting to take my valve covers off to paint them or something, their crazy nasty, all pitted n stuff

Old 10-26-2009, 08:59 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Take them off and polish them to look like chrome. If I had the old style, I would

Quick Reply: 5.7 to 6.1 ignition conversion kit finished