3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

How to remove Head Unit?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2009 | 10:35 AM
Slap_my_momma
|
Default How to remove Head Unit?

Just got a new aftermarket head unit for my Ram.
Upset that I just bought it (ram) and the stereo jammed my CD and is now stuck.

So, now I got a new Head Unit (HU) and I was wondering if anyone here knows / or if their is a "How To" remove the stereo bezel off these Rams? This is for a HU that is not Infinity

Thanks all

Old 12-23-2009 | 10:41 AM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies

on the passenger side under the airbag there is a little hook with a little 'pocket' above it. there is a philips screw in that pocket, take out that screw first. now grab the hook, and PULL. don't be shy, pull on the summbitcch. it'll sound like you broke something, you didn't. yes, it's only that one screw and a bunch of clips holding it in.

follow the bezel around and pull the rest of the clips out. I've pulled mine at least 30 times, you won't break it. the radio should just have 4 screws holding it I think, haven't had a stock HU in a long time.

Old 12-23-2009 | 12:01 PM
BadHab1t
Grand Champion

actually feej i think theres another on the otherside under the steering wheel but i think you need to remove the underdash piece first to get to it....i may be wrong and if so i did alot more work than i needed to to get mine out ....but yes 4 screws hold the factory radio in.....

this is a diy from silverbullet on how to paint the bezel but it shows you where the screws to the bezel are.....2 on left under steering wheel down by the hood release and the one under the ac vent w/hook like feej stated....
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...dio-bezel.html

Last edited by BadHab1t; 12-23-2009 at 12:08 PM.
Old 12-23-2009 | 12:11 PM
Yeags777
Professional

Isn't there 2 more screws where you would find your hood release? And if it's anything like the 04, you'll have 4 more screws on the housing of the head unit.

Old 12-23-2009 | 12:52 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

You guys are making it complicated. Xfeejayx has it right. Thankfully the OP has an 04 and it isnt Infinty so that will help him later on when changing speakers.

The is only one screw in the center bezel. The other two screws that Jusjay727 is talking about is to remove the cover to get to the ignition wiring and such but that isnt needed in this case.

Last edited by weedahoe; 12-23-2009 at 12:54 PM.
Old 12-23-2009 | 01:03 PM
OklaHemi
Champion

word em up weedahoe. one screw one love. pull that biyotch out. xfreejayx did a good write up. some one actually posted a 5 minute video on how to do it before. that was funny.

Old 12-23-2009 | 01:52 PM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies

Originally Posted by weedahoe
You guys are making it complicated. Xfeejayx has it right. Thankfully the OP has an 04 and it isnt Infinty so that will help him later on when changing speakers.

The is only one screw in the center bezel. The other two screws that Jusjay727 is talking about is to remove the cover to get to the ignition wiring and such but that isnt needed in this case.
yup, and those two screws underneath are torx for some reason, as opposed to EVERY other screw that's a philips.

Old 12-23-2009 | 02:26 PM
Slap_my_momma
|

Thanks all. I'll follow xfeejayx directions.

Also... what the heck is that little hook for? Is it a CB radio holder or something to hold my trigger loop on my glock?

Old 12-23-2009 | 02:41 PM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies

Originally Posted by Slap_my_momma
Thanks all. I'll follow xfeejayx directions.

Also... what the heck is that little hook for? Is it a CB radio holder or something to hold my trigger loop on my glock?
it's for the wife's handbag

seriously though, on regular cabs the switch to turn the passenger airbag on/off is there behind the hook, so the hook acts like a guard so you don't accidentally switch it. my assumption is that dodge just wanted to keep things consistent and use the same dash.

Old 12-23-2009 | 04:22 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

But hey, at least it helps us pull out the center console easier ;-)

Quick Reply: How to remove Head Unit?