3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Hid's

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 10:22 PM
Unperfected
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hid's

alright guys, im looking at getting a set of them now i just got a wicked deal on some if i buy a few sets. So what im wondering is what the differents is between the 35 watt and 55 watt lamps are. My buddy just got a set of 8000 k 35 watt bulbs and i found the were not to bright. his were for a civic tho not a ram. so can someone help me out, I'm in canada and this company will do 35 wats for 42 us shipped to my door if i buy a certain amount. heres there site. what the real differents between companies as well are they not all the same?\

http://www.vvme.com/index.php

Old 01-16-2010, 10:37 PM
05RamMan
Captain

55 watt are slightly brighter in general,However, have significantly less life. However the Brigthness has more to do with the color spectrum you buy them in.

Also Don't forget you are gonna need the capacitors to solve Anti flicker and light out issues our ram's have with HID's.

Old 01-17-2010, 07:24 PM
Unperfected
Professional

ok guys, i plan on getting the 55w ones but now i need to no. does are truck have a canbus system or not. I was told that if we have a canbus system then we need a special set aswell.

Old 01-17-2010, 07:32 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Unperfected
ok guys, i plan on getting the 55w ones but now i need to no. does are truck have a canbus system or not. I was told that if we have a canbus system then we need a special set aswell.

headlights...Yes
Fogs...2008-prior...No (only yes on the newer 09+ years)

It's not a special bulb, it has to do with wiring harness and cancellor kits that are plug'n'play.

Old 01-17-2010, 07:49 PM
Unperfected
Professional

thanks so much man.

Old 01-17-2010, 08:27 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Also, the REAL diff between companies is the type of electronics used. Paying $60 or so for an HID kit results in lower quality ballast as well as lower grade bulbs that don't last nearly as long as OEM bulbs that cost $75 for just the bulbs. Different salts are used as well as the blend. Slats are very expensive and lower quality kits skimp on the salts. Thus, the bulbs aren't as bright, aren't exactly matched to each other as far as brightness or color goes but close within reason and the bulbs don't last as long.
Most aftermarket bulbs will last anywhere from 100-800hours where as OEM PHillips bulbs(only makes them in D1s and D2s..true HID projector bulbs) last as long as 3,000hours.
You get what you pay for wit HID's MOST of the time.
That said. i have a cheap $60 kit in my fogs and they look and perform great. Easy cheap replacement to buy a whole nother kit and then I will have spare parts and only $120 invested.

Old 01-18-2010, 01:00 AM
Spinkton

Originally Posted by dirtydog
Also, the REAL diff between companies is the type of electronics used. Paying $60 or so for an HID kit results in lower quality ballast as well as lower grade bulbs that don't last nearly as long as OEM bulbs that cost $75 for just the bulbs. Different salts are used as well as the blend. Slats are very expensive and lower quality kits skimp on the salts. Thus, the bulbs aren't as bright, aren't exactly matched to each other as far as brightness or color goes but close within reason and the bulbs don't last as long.
Most aftermarket bulbs will last anywhere from 100-800hours where as OEM PHillips bulbs(only makes them in D1s and D2s..true HID projector bulbs) last as long as 3,000hours.
You get what you pay for wit HID's MOST of the time.
That said. i have a cheap $60 kit in my fogs and they look and perform great. Easy cheap replacement to buy a whole nother kit and then I will have spare parts and only $120 invested.
so, how do you know that your actually getting a higher quality set when spending more money.. It still might be junk parts.

What are some of the better quality companies around that sell hid kits?

Thanks

Old 01-18-2010, 04:20 AM
98cherryram
Record Breaker

intensehid.com has sold me 4 kits to date and all 4 of them are matched temperature, very bright, shipped fast, and have had no, and I mean no faulty parts. I ran them all summer and till now, about 7 to 8 months now and they are perfect still. A little more expensive than some of the other companies, but they have a warranty and don't even seem to need it. I am very happy with them. And do not, and I repeat DO NOT get the 55 watt hid's if you plan on keeping your stock headlight housing. You will be a danger on the road with the 55w kit. 35w is very sufficient, very bright, and somewhat reasonable. I don't personally agree with any hid in a stock housing unless the car was designed with hid's in mind like most volvo's, but if you are set on doing that, don't put the super bright hid's in there.

Old 01-18-2010, 06:37 PM
Spinkton

Do they make aftermarket bolt on projector housings for a 08 dodgr ram that would work good with HIDS... ive read a few things on this board abut guys custom making them... but thats something i cant really do.