3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

180 degree thermostat? HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 08:17 AM
Ron69697
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 180 degree thermostat? HELP!!!

Hey guys im trying to get a programmer for my 2005 dodge ram 1500 slt 4.7L so i can make it quicker and improve gas miliage and they are saying i need a 180 degree thermostat, 91 octane, and free flow exhaust. 1st of all what the hell is a 180 degree thermostat and whats the stock thermostat on my truck? and which programmer/chip(i was thinkin about goin with JET? should i or should i go with someone different) would be the best for my truck...i really need help from someone more experienced than me bc i just got my dodge a month ago. So if you can help then you are GOD!

Thanks, Ron

Old 01-20-2010, 08:34 AM
cwboyjohnny24
Record Breaker

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...80-thermo.html

Check this thread out. Welcome to df. Also, try checking out the DIY and the search features, they come in pretty handy. Pics????

Old 01-20-2010, 08:45 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I don't know who "they" are, but you DO NOT NEED a 180* thermostat. They are a benefit IN SAME CASES, based on what other mods you have.

Stay the hell away from the Jet tuning products there are way better choices out there. Get a Superchips or a Diablo. Concentrate on the "Big Three" mods first, Cat-back Exhaust, Tuner and a CAI (or at least a good drop-in)...

Old 01-20-2010, 09:24 AM
BadHab1t
Grand Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

04 4.7 qcsb just got my superchips tuner a cpl weeks ago and i can say it woke up the beast with new trans options on the way id go that route i got a intake from a website i can give you for about 70 shipped great deal and product i also have done the big 3 and it helps tremendously you could also search for the diy powerwire i dont know what the reall gains are but i did it, it makes your truck pc think its breating cooler air....good luck pm me if you want the link to the intake....

Old 01-20-2010, 09:41 AM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

JET tuning products are a big no no, stay away.

Old 01-20-2010, 10:05 AM
RubberFrog
Champion

These guys are pulling your leg!

I recommend a jetchip with a tornado in the intake. Try getting your hands on another stock muffler. The stock exhaust is too free flowing, adding a second muffler helps increase back flow. You'll probably gain like 50 hp just from these three mods.

Old 01-20-2010, 11:08 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by RubberFrog
These guys are pulling your leg!

I recommend a jetchip with a tornado in the intake. Try getting your hands on another stock muffler. The stock exhaust is too free flowing, adding a second muffler helps increase back flow. You'll probably gain like 50 hp just from these three mods.
C'mon Froggy, some of these newbies just might think your serious and spend money on that crap...

Old 01-20-2010, 11:38 AM
RubberFrog
Champion

lol

One time I had a guy convinced he needed the Mopar Performance flash for his flux capacitor. He even checked in to say he was on his way to the dealer for the flash! He promised to let us know how he liked it. Some rat squealed just before he left....

Old 01-20-2010, 11:40 AM
cwboyjohnny24
Record Breaker

Lmao ^^^

Old 01-20-2010, 10:04 PM
Ron69697
Default Thanks

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
I don't know who "they" are, but you DO NOT NEED a 180* thermostat. They are a benefit IN SAME CASES, based on what other mods you have.

Stay the hell away from the Jet tuning products there are way better choices out there. Get a Superchips or a Diablo. Concentrate on the "Big Three" mods first, Cat-back Exhaust, Tuner and a CAI (or at least a good drop-in)...
!!NEWBIE TERMS PLEASE HAMMER!!! LOL CAT-BACK, TUNER, CAI WHAT THAAA

WOW! i appreciate everyones comments and welcoming me here on DF i feel very welcomed and like this could be my new home instead of the cbr600rr forums where i use to chill at most of my time. Thank you guys VERY MUCH! <<<<--- where i found yall haha

Well Hammer what would you have in mind for my truck? its completely stock and its just a 4.7....wish i couldve gotten the hemi but insurance would be way to much seein as im about to be 21 in march but what would you suggest bro...I aint tryin to drop more than 2grand cuz im kinda broke down lol but if you were in my position what would you do to my truck if it was yours to beef up the speed and some of the look? heres what i now know of to the best of my knowledge what im planning to do...and please dont mind to tell my how stupid i am but kinda help me in the right direction to tell me what you think will be the best for my truck. i really dont know the model names just the brands...so if you please can chip in ur 2cents

-FlowMaster Dual Exhaust(what setup and the name of it)
-Chip or superchip(which one...diablo what?)
-Cams (def dont know what that is but heard it makes a big diff)
-Have the front and back lifted equally so that it has a 4x4 Hemi look to it
-Have the Headlights changed to HID's(those are the blueish clearish tint right?)
-And honestly i like the new 07 08 grills wayyyy better than my cross grill is there a grill you could recommend me that would look good
-And i want to get the fog lights behind the grill

Yea i kno i talk like i dont know what the hell im talking about but i went from having a mustang and a 2006 cbr600rr to wrecking that and getting the insurance money for my truck so its my first truck and SOON hopefully will be able to talk like you guys...all professional! And im kind of going by what ive seen on the roads and here on this forums especially the pictures of yalls trucks they are all badass and i would love to have something that nice to share with everyone on these forums and maybe if you guys point me in the right direction....some bragging rights

Quick Reply: 180 degree thermostat? HELP!!!