3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

help prothane leveling kit?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 08:46 PM
Duncan01
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy help prothane leveling kit?

Hello, Ive been lerking on here for some time now following several posts. I finally joined because I have some questions that I haven't yet found the answers to. I have a 2005 ram 1500 2wd hemi reg cab. mostly stock. I bought two prothane 2" coil spacers which are actually 1" and 15/16 and the part the coil spring slides into is is a little over a half inch.

My question is, How am i supposed to get a 2" lift with a spacer that is essentially 1.5" at best. Ive seen on here that some people leave in the coil isolator and it ads to the lift but, I have no way of knowing how thick it is.

Also, I saw a couple of posts were someone had stated that if you have a 1" coil spacer you get 2" inches of lift?

Old 02-11-2010, 07:27 AM
Duncan01

Come on now somebody has to know something about this.

Old 02-11-2010, 08:05 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Ive seen sites that advertise what ever the spring spacer height is will double the lift but IDK personally. Maybe someone else can chime in.

Old 02-11-2010, 08:53 AM
cloud
Professional

I have heard different things. Cowboy, Matt, and those guys guys have lots of knowledge in that area.

Old 02-11-2010, 09:01 AM
Shiloh 24
Record Breaker

The 1.5" that your measuring should in theory gain about 2.5"s of lift. It has to do with the way the spacer works, someone made a diagram a few weeks back showing exactly how that all works. My 2" (basically 3" but the coil cutout in the bottom is an inch deep) gave me just over 3"s of lift and got the front higher than the rear. Make sure you leave the rubber isolator on there to make it give enough lift.

Old 02-11-2010, 09:10 AM
cwboyjohnny24
Record Breaker

The spacer is supposedly changing the angle of the of the front suspension to where if you put a 1" spacer you get 2" worth of lift. Matt has put a 2" spacer on his truck and ended up with more than that, however he has a newer model that has slightly different suspension than the 02-05's. IMO if you put the spacer on and it in theory measures out at 1.5 inches you'll have a pretty level truck. Check this thread out.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...y-txst8tj.html

He measured the spacer at 2" and you have to take into account that the spring will still go in atleast a .5" on that spacer, so pretty much the same as you at 1.5". But if you look at the measurements of the before and after he definitely got more than 1.5.

Old 02-11-2010, 09:29 AM
Duncan01

I appreciate the info fellas, I did a little more research myself and talked with my boss who has alot of experience with it. He said he found a site were a guy went through step by step and calulated out exactly how much lift 1" would give. The final result was for every 1" your spacer is, you will get 1.7" of lift do to the geometry of the suspension. Even though the coil springs look straight, when the A-arm is being jacked back up the spring goes in at an angle which creates more force on one side of the spring then the other that is were the geometry come's in to play and the extra .7" comes from.

I hope this wasnt to confusing. Its going in on sat. mornin I will do my best to take pic's and post them for you guys.

One other thing, Ive seen some levling kits that have three bolt holes and three bolts on the spacer to mount it. Mine does not have that it just a solid spacer. Would this effect anything?

Thanks for all your help
Duncan

Old 02-11-2010, 09:36 AM
Matt99
Champion

Originally Posted by Duncan01
I appreciate the info fellas, I did a little more research myself and talked with my boss who has alot of experience with it. He said he found a site were a guy went through step by step and calulated out exactly how much lift 1" would give. The final result was for every 1" your spacer is, you will get 1.7" of lift do to the geometry of the suspension. Even though the coil springs look straight, when the A-arm is being jacked back up the spring goes in at an angle which creates more force on one side of the spring then the other that is were the geometry come's in to play and the extra .7" comes from.

I hope this wasnt to confusing. Its going in on sat. mornin I will do my best to take pic's and post them for you guys.

One other thing, Ive seen some levling kits that have three bolt holes and three bolts on the spacer to mount it. Mine does not have that it just a solid spacer. Would this effect anything?

Thanks for all your help
Duncan
Haha Id like to see the formula he used....anyway, hes right (technically). Your suspension is based off of angles up front, getting a higher spread from the spring actually dropping the tires (but essentially raising the front end). If you lay a stick on the ground and lift it an inch at the beginning, it would raise the end 2+ depending on length. Thats the thought in this

And the spacer with bolts is for a 4x4. The solid one is the one you need. And dont forget to align it asap after install, and it will settle a bit over time

Old 02-11-2010, 09:46 AM
cwboyjohnny24
Record Breaker

Since it's an 05 I would highly recommend some longer shocks. Just food for thought.

Old 02-11-2010, 11:02 AM
Duncan01

Thats a roger on the alignment. I also failed to mention that I ordered new Rough Country 8000 series shocks. I here their fairly smooth but well see.

Thanks for the help.

Quick Reply: help prothane leveling kit?