3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Am I just being picky? *long*

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 07:30 PM
bigdaddyII
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Am I just being picky? *long*

Truck is 2002 Ram 1500, 121,XXX miles, 4.7 liter if that matters.
The back story:
Bought truck with bad upper and lower balljoints, but it drove straight with steering wheel straight. Replaced bad components, had aligned at local alignment shop by the same tech that done alignments on a few of my other cars, truck drove just like it did before.

A month or two ago, I changed the tie rod ends. On way to alignment shop, truck drove straight with steering wheel straight just as before. They realigned under warranty because they should have told me the boots were split on tie rod ends. Different tech done realignment. Truck now drives straight with steering wheel cocked to right. Very irritating. Took truck back to them to align again, as I feel that if you don't center the steering wheel, than the job is **** poor. Same fellow I have always used did it this time at my request. Steering wheel still cocked to right. Brought truck back to shop AGAIN, and proceeded to get in pissing contest with manager, he insists that its not the alignment, but a worn part. He cant show me what part is worn though. Never mind that all the ball joints and tie rod ends are new and shiny.

I lived with the problem for a while, than changed out my passenger side bearing.........twice (fuggin chinese parts, different story/rant for a different time), and changed shocks. Also had a tire rotation in this time period. After changing all that I decided that its high time that I get this steering issue resolved. I took truck to another alignment shop. They align truck and take it for a drive, tech says it good to go. I leave and find that the steering wheel is still cocked to right. Take truck back, alignment checked and wheel "centered". Tech takes ride and comes back, says its fine (same tech). I leave, come back the next day as *)$#&%(*&#^*($ steering wheel is still cocked to the right. Manager watches tech do alignment this time and this pisses tech off, but he finishes. I ride along on test drive and notice that where the tech drives the vehicles the crown on the road is high in the middle, so with steering adjustment it looks like steering wheel is straight. We return to shop, tech tells manager he has enough of this ****, he quits.

Today take truck to 3rd alignment shop. They do alignment, straighten wheel and test drive. Tech comes back says all good. I leave and come home, yep, you guessed it, steering is straight, wheel cocked to the right.

During a search on here I saw something about being able to straighten steering wheel by adjusting steering linkage. Is that possible with my truck or just the 2500's? If it is possible with my truck, how is it done? I dont want to be too picky but I know how the truck drove before, even with bad parts and it bothers me. Is this just something I will have to live with, or could something else be wrong with the truck? I watched all of these alignments done and they all used that little rod thingamajig to hold the steering wheel straight and so on and so forth. Thanks for any ideas and sorry for extravagantly long post.

Last edited by bigdaddyII; 03-02-2010 at 08:03 PM. Reason: Removed names of shops.....
Old 03-02-2010, 07:36 PM
AF_HEMI
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no you're not being too picky. the truck is old and its gonna have its issues, but those issues can always be fixed. that truck could drive brand new again if you were willing to pay for it. thats the reason most people let things go though... they dont wanna pay for it. props to you though for sticking with it and trying to get it to work correctly

Old 03-02-2010, 07:58 PM
Mega-Hemi
Record Breaker

Can't you just take the left tie-rod out a turn or two, and the right tie-rod in the same? That shouldn't change anything but the steering wheel position. It shouldn't change the caster of the wheel at all so it should still go straight down the road when you let go of the wheel. Not sure though, been about 10yrs since I've done an alignment.

Old 03-02-2010, 08:03 PM
bigdaddyII
Captain

I also forgot to add, my sway bar links are bad. Would that have any bearing on issue at hand? I will change them but have to recover in the money dept a little. They must be made of gold or something, every store I looked at wants $60 or so for the kit.

Mega-Hemi, I am at the point of doing that and seeing how it drives. It shouldnt change the toe even if I turn them the same number of turns I wouldnt think.

Old 03-02-2010, 08:12 PM
Mega-Hemi
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by bigdaddyII
Mega-Hemi, I am at the point of doing that and seeing how it drives. It shouldnt change the toe even if I turn them the same number of turns I wouldnt think.
I dont think so either, and if it does get worse, you can always put it back. Just be sure to mark them before you start and don't lose count.

Old 03-02-2010, 09:58 PM
RedTruck-VA
Champion

They can position the steering wheel anyway you want it. It should have be a simple affair from the start. Shouldn't even have to test drive it to determine if it is straight or not. Sitting on the alignment machine, pointing the wheels straight ahead have them align it with the steering wheel in the position you want it. Now if they are not doing a four wheel alignment and after the front is aligned and the rear is still mis-aligned you will have to move the steering wheel to compensate for the push from the rear. This maybe what is happening. Has the truck been in an accident or twisted sometime in off roading?

Old 03-02-2010, 10:19 PM
bigdaddyII
Captain

RedTruck, that's the same thing I assumed but apparently it is beyond comprehension around here. AFAIK the truck hasent been in any kind of drastic accident and no accident or offroad damage since I have owned it. Everything was good until the second alignment, the one after I changed the tie rod ends.

As far as aligning the rear, I know nothing about it. I wouldn't think that changing tie rod ends would have affected the rear of the truck. IDK, I may try turning the tie rod ends (probably an obscure concept at these alignment shops), and if anything goes wrong I can always "drumroll" have it aligned again. Sorry for the sarcasm, I am a tad bitter.

Old 03-03-2010, 01:52 AM
RedTruck-VA
Champion

I understand, I have absolutely no tolerance for stupid ****. Typically alignments these days are all four wheels. Even here in the Philippines they do all wheel alignment. Had my van aligned last month and the steering wheel was off center. Told them it needed to centered and they did everything again. But it was as you discribed, they turned one tie rod end in the direction to straighten the wheel and aligned the other wheel to it. The drag link has no adjustment on my van. Caster and chamber was already previously adjusted, so there was nothing to it. They also used a steering wheel lock to first position the steering wheel but when it was removed the wheel moved. You'll get it, it just takes time.

Old 03-03-2010, 02:27 AM
rocket23
Champion

You got caught in the It's only a job jerk! It's a shame nobody cares,there's no pride and you can forget about workers being proud n!^%$ please I'm proud of what I do for a buck too bad the workers that followed me have very little work ethic they probably don't even know what it means very sad and so is the steering wheel listing to the right a shame/....

Old 03-03-2010, 03:05 AM
MoparRamMan

Tie rods just adjust the toe. I'm not a 100% positive but I don't think there is any adjustment for the rear of our trucks? Solid rear axle?

Quick Reply: Am I just being picky? *long*