3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Diesel Or Gas

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2010 | 09:13 AM
Beastro
|
Veteran
Default Diesel Or Gas

Ok I just replaced the hole rack on my 04 SLT. this morning there was power steering fluid all over the drive way. So im done with the 1500. I want solid front axle. But I heard the cummings isnt to relibal. So i can't make up my mind the hemi or cummings? What do you guys think

Old 03-11-2010 | 09:22 AM
glass3222
Captain

First there is no "G" in Cummins. Second who told you that they are not reliable.

If you can afford the cummins, I would get it. But the Hemi is not a bad choice either.

Old 03-11-2010 | 09:47 AM
03MopaRamman
Captain

Not a Fan of "Modified Deisels". Have a Buddy that Tows and has a stock 3500, and as a Mechanic he is of the opinion that 2006 and older are the way to go as the newer cummins trucks (pronounced with a G by most down homers) are constantly in the shop and the 2006 model is getting harder to find and buy used, but even this guy has broke down and required a tow to the dealer.

Pretty sure the 2500 HD comes with both diesel and gas engines.

Old 03-11-2010 | 10:13 AM
bamataco
Veteran

I would say that the Cummins Diesel is the most reliable diesel. My son and I used to repo cars. And we have found that the Cummins will very often out last the truck that it is in. We both have seen repo trucks with 400,000 miles on them. The body and every part of it is beginning to break but the Cummins is still running strong. Keep in mind here that these are repo trucks and have been driven over their life by lots of differant drivers. many that drive them like they stole them. Also it is the norm that as soon as you are hooked up you get out of there as quickly as possible. If I were to be buying a diesel I would head right for a Dodge with a Cummins in it.

Old 03-11-2010 | 10:26 AM
Beastro
|
Veteran

sorry can't spell and have been at work 16 hours. I read in car repeorts the new cummins just didn't last drivetrain issues. Im going to look around this week and do some test driving. Im going to eventualy get a 5th wheeler. My dad hauls his with a duramax but his buddy hauls his with a 2500 hemi and the only diff I noticed was the hemi engine wasn't as loud as the duramax engine.

Old 03-11-2010 | 10:44 AM
907hemi
Amateur

the 5.9 cummins is one of the greatest engines out there. If you are thinking about doing any kind of engine mods to it then that is the way to go. right now the new 6.7 is having problems with all there exhaust system. because most people who are buying them are driving them normal nice and causal. if you get the 6.7 drive it like you stole it so that way it burns off all the carbon that is building up in the exhaust. also i think bully dog has figured out away to by pass all the o2 sensors and the egr on the 6.7. i say get the 6.7 get rid of the exhaust and egr and run her hard. you will be happy. but if you dont want all that work up front the 5.9 is awesome.

Old 03-11-2010 | 10:56 AM
SlvrRAM05
Rookie

EPA 07 and EPA 10 have made all the diesel engine companies have problem...hell CAT stopped making diesels...I've got the EPA07 ISX 15L in my work truck and don't have too many complaints...but it doesn't pull like my CAT did..

I do know your fuel mileage will get much better with the cummins over the hemi

Old 03-11-2010 | 11:11 AM
meen green machine
Professional

like said before the 5.9 cummins is the way to go if you plan on modifying it and not breaking bank or just want a very long lasting engine. I have several friends that have the 5.9 and run the **** out of em and no problems and have well over 200,000 miles on them. a guy i used to work with had an 01 and pulled a 32 foot gooseneck everday loaded and hes got 400,000 on it. The 6.7 isnt a bad motor either just its gots lots of technology. My friend bought a late 07 with the 6.7 and he got red of everything on the exhaust and is now straight piped and hes got a programmer and some othe work done and hes had no problems yet

Old 03-11-2010 | 01:51 PM
4matty3
Captain

Cummins not reliable ??? however told you that isnt bright. they last for good 500,000 + miles easy. of course minor parts will be replaced, but any car would . not to mention the better fuel mileage and the crazy power. diesel for sure. plus just think of how much of a dog a hemi would be in a 2500.

Old 03-11-2010 | 03:40 PM
cheapbeater
Record Breaker

we all want a cummins but for most of us they just arent practical enough to justify spending the extra $$ up front. like everyone else said, the 5.9 is a rock solid motor... i think they made them up till '07.5...? after that is the 6.7 with all the emissions crap to please the tree huggers and liberals. of course, if you live in a non emissions state you can get rid of most of that crap and have a really reliable truck. my neigbor has a stock 6.7 and loves it...
oh yeah, and maintenance is a little more expensive... parts (mods) are more expensive but they produce huge gains, oil changes are more expensive (diesels hold lots of oil)... i'm not sure what tranny they are putting behind the diesels but i know guys who've blown trannys in 5.9's...
i dont think it's possible to own a diesel and not mod it..

Quick Reply: Diesel Or Gas