3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Please Help~! Engine knock after oil change

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 10:06 PM
rocket23
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds like hemi tick too me!!

Old 03-16-2010, 12:42 AM
Thatonekidw/theHEMI
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 on the hemi tick
knock would increase under engine load
your fine, just watch your gauges and oil level extra close for a couple days

Old 03-16-2010, 03:37 AM
RedTruck-VA
Champion

Rod knock bangs when you let off the gas. Mains usually can be heard when the engine is cold and the oil pressure is usually lower than normal. Pounding rod might last thirty miles and then lets go. I think you have the hemi tick, but I would change the filter. I use nothing but Mobil 1 since shortly after break in. It is not the oil, but could still be a bad filter. Good luck...

Old 03-16-2010, 07:37 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I had rod knock once and it is something you dont forget.

Old 03-16-2010, 09:08 AM
RedTruck-VA
Champion

Originally Posted by weedahoe
I had rod knock once and it is something you dont forget.
Oh yeah, over the years I have lost a few engines. Had a flathead let go going through the traps at around 95 mph that tore up my floorboards and broke my windshield. I think it even cut up my tires running over the all the shapnel. lol

Old 03-16-2010, 11:55 AM
I DRIVE A HEMI RAM DAMNIT!
Rookie

the dealership said that it sounded like an exhaust valve closing and reverberating back through the exhaust..thats bull ****. I dont know what to do. Whats the hemi tick sound like..? like i said this is a slight tap or knock sound I would say..I just dont know what to do. I just ordered all my mods and now im short on money to have a motor torn down ... Ive been searching hemi tick..does somebody have a good video of it? I cant seem to find any. Like I said,mine isnt a tick really.. anyhow,another dealership said it sounds like a normal hemi but I think he is deaf~! i hear the coils clicking and ticking and what not,but this is lower. Anyhow,leads me to my next question,how much for a performance rebuild,or even a stock rebuild?

Last edited by I DRIVE A HEMI RAM DAMNIT!; 03-16-2010 at 02:44 PM.
Old 03-16-2010, 03:41 PM
dublduty
Professional

Wow dude, your jumping the gun. I am almost certain it is the infamous Hemi tick and like the others said using conventional oil quieted it down. It was already there but you just couldn't hear it and once a thinner synthetic was used it appeared. Almost sounds like an exhaust leak or the sound is coming from the oil pan. Just a slight knock but almost a tick and goes away when you give it the slightest bit of gas. Good luck and welcome to the Hemi tickin' club!

Old 03-16-2010, 04:30 PM
josemer09
Rookie

i found this vid on youtube maybe you can compare

this is what my hemi tick sounds like
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntE55pVpU5Y

this one is a little loud
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Al5IE1bX0kw

Last edited by josemer09; 03-17-2010 at 01:15 AM.
Old 03-16-2010, 07:13 PM
RedTruck-VA
Champion

Originally Posted by I DRIVE A HEMI RAM DAMNIT!
the dealership said that it sounded like an exhaust valve closing and reverberating back through the exhaust..thats bull ****. I dont know what to do. Whats the hemi tick sound like..? like i said this is a slight tap or knock sound I would say..I just dont know what to do. I just ordered all my mods and now im short on money to have a motor torn down ... Ive been searching hemi tick..does somebody have a good video of it? I cant seem to find any. Like I said,mine isnt a tick really.. anyhow,another dealership said it sounds like a normal hemi but I think he is deaf~! i hear the coils clicking and ticking and what not,but this is lower. Anyhow,leads me to my next question,how much for a performance rebuild,or even a stock rebuild?
Like most here I'm pretty sure you have the hemi tick. Mine sometimes has it and other times it doesn't. When I do hear it it is usually when I am along a wall or in the garage. I don't like it and don't really know what causes it, but I also don't worry about anymore. Good luck

Old 03-16-2010, 07:34 PM
dublduty
Professional

Man that second video is crazy!!! I just hope mine doesn't turn into that.

Quick Reply: Please Help~! Engine knock after oil change