3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Please Help~! Engine knock after oil change

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 07:44 PM
I DRIVE A HEMI RAM DAMNIT!
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please Help~! Engine knock after oil change

I put in Royal Purple and a Mobil 1 filter for the first time and my truck seems to knock at idle now..it only has 34k on it..it should be fine to switch to synthetic..whats wrong?

Old 03-15-2010, 07:46 PM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How bad is the knock, worse than the hemi tick? Can you make a video so we can hear what you mean by a knock?

Old 03-15-2010, 07:47 PM
Rookie

i dont know what the hemi tick is..its just like a slight rapping noise..I dont have a vid or camera..

Old 03-15-2010, 07:49 PM
Rookie

maybe those mobil 1 synthetic media filters dont flow good enough? maybe its the RP..even though RP is suppose to be good. I put in 5w-20 just like i did with conventional. Should I switch to valvoline synthetic maybe..?

Old 03-15-2010, 08:04 PM
Marx
Record Breaker

did you fill the oil filter with oil before you put it in? is it getting better or worse over time?

Old 03-15-2010, 08:20 PM
dublduty
Professional

Nothing to worry about. Its the Hemi tick you are hearing. My trucks tick seems to go away when the oil actually ages, like a month after I change it. Really strange I know. Does the noise sound like it is coming from the bottom end? Can you hear it better through the drivers wheel well? Almost sounds like an exhaust manifold leak? If so, thats the Hemi tick that 80% of Ram owners are experiencing.

Old 03-15-2010, 08:21 PM
Rookie

its not lifter tick,I told the guy to fill the filter...seems like the motor is running hotter..? maybe the Mobil 1 synthetic blend oil filter doesnt flow as well as they claim? maybe i should try a mopar filter or a wix I bought.. I never noticed it before but its like a knock,not lifter tick...comes from the passenger side(atleast seems to the most). Oil pressure doesnt seem to build as fast as before with a Mopar filter...Im thinking drain the oil and change the filter..I just dont know if I should put the same oil back in..but I just bought the Sh*t. Did changing from conventional to synthetic at 34k make it? I was told i was ok and once you change you cant go back...

Last edited by I DRIVE A HEMI RAM DAMNIT!; 03-15-2010 at 08:39 PM.
Old 03-15-2010, 08:55 PM
RedTruck-VA
Champion

The synthetic should help the engine run cooler. You might have a bad filter. I would change it immediately and see if anything changes. Keep the filter encase it is bad to make a case. Good luck..

Old 03-15-2010, 08:56 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

You can always change from conventional to synthetic and back again. Even though I prefer a Wix or Pure 1 to a Mobil filter they are fine.
You are running an oil that flows much smoother and offers much less resistance than conventional or even most synthetics.
Less resistance means you'll hear chatter more, was always there, just isn't being muffled as much by the oil.
By you saying "I told the guy", does this mean YOU didn't change your own oil? I'd get under there and at least make sure the filter is seated properly.

Also, you can change the filter and only lose the oil that's in the filter, no need to pull the drain and lose all your oil...

Old 03-15-2010, 09:08 PM
Rookie

No I didnt change the oil....its parked for the night..I will check the seat in the morning and take it to the dealer..ill try changing the filter just incase...Im just worried as hell...I know synthetic is suppose to be better but wtf~! i dont seem to hear it if I give it some gas...

Last edited by I DRIVE A HEMI RAM DAMNIT!; 03-15-2010 at 09:19 PM.

Quick Reply: Please Help~! Engine knock after oil change