3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2006 Drivers seat wearing out...

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 07:04 PM
JMB3384
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2006 Drivers seat wearing out...

Over this past year of having my truck I have noticed my drivers seat wearing out more and more little by little. I have the light gray cloth interior. It is wearing out on the left side where you climb to get in. It seems like the cushion underneith is wearing also. Today I noticed that there are little flakes of cushion dropping on to my carpet just undernieth that area. My truck is out of warrenty but I was wondering if anybody knows if there is a recall or something for this?!

I heard that there is a bar inside the seat with a sharp edge that is slowly cutting away at the cushion which is causing it to wear. I was told the fix is basically a new cushion and a plastic gaurd that goes over the sharp edge on the bar. Is this true? For a 4 year old truck I don't think it should be doing this. Also due to the fact I am out of warrenty is this something I could take up to the corporates?? Any info is much appreciated!

Old 04-21-2010, 07:05 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

There are a couple of threads on this where guys have made the same complaints. It seems it is the 06 that has the issues and not so much the 07+.

Some guys have taken the fabric off their seats and replaced of added foam and filed down the sharp edges.

Old 04-21-2010, 07:15 AM
rocket23
Champion

One could also get in the habit of lifting their a$$es off the friggin chair when you exit the vehicle, the same way you get in the truck. Just in reverse. Thats what I'm doing no complaints yet.

Old 04-21-2010, 07:37 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Thats what i do also. My wife however it like my dad and they like t slide out of the seats. This causes pulling on the fabric and on the threads where it is sewn together.

Old 04-21-2010, 07:45 AM
LinerJoe
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JMB3384
Over this past year of having my truck I have noticed my drivers seat wearing out more and more little by little. I have the light gray cloth interior. It is wearing out on the left side where you climb to get in. It seems like the cushion underneith is wearing also. Today I noticed that there are little flakes of cushion dropping on to my carpet just undernieth that area. My truck is out of warrenty but I was wondering if anybody knows if there is a recall or something for this?!

I heard that there is a bar inside the seat with a sharp edge that is slowly cutting away at the cushion which is causing it to wear. I was told the fix is basically a new cushion and a plastic gaurd that goes over the sharp edge on the bar. Is this true? For a 4 year old truck I don't think it should be doing this. Also due to the fact I am out of warrenty is this something I could take up to the corporates?? Any info is much appreciated!
I have the same issue with my '07.

joe

Old 04-21-2010, 08:05 AM
crazyandy202
Professional

I dont slide all over my seat and I still find small flakes under my seat and its not cause im fat I only weigh 150 lbs and mine is a 2006 haha

Old 04-21-2010, 08:08 AM
fk1022
All Star

Originally Posted by jmcclucky01
I had read in another thread about fixing the drivers seat after the foam breaks down and you dont want to replace the foam, just to have the same thing happen again. My seat was noticably worse off then when I bought the truck four years ago and I could feel the metal frame.
The fix is really easy, and had I thought about it I would of took pictures, but its so easy you don't really need them.

First I went to Hobby Lobby and bought 1/2 yard of burlap, two pieces of foam 1 was 1"x14"x14" and 1 was 2"x14"x14", all together was about $9.50. Stopped at the auto parts store and bought the 3M super 77 super adhesive. about $5.50.

Removal of the seat cover was not bad.

1st. Needed to take the two nuts off the bottom of the seat near the front, loosing the seat from the seat frame believe it took 1/2" socket.

2nd. Once the nuts are off and seat is loose enough to be moved up and down, you will be able to unhook the front of the seat cover, I found this is the easiest way to start, the way the seat cover is attached to the frame is black plastic clip that slides on lip on the frame, just push it off the frame clip while pushing down on the front seat to give slack on the material.

3rd. The two sides are just as easy, you need to remove the recline handle which is just a phillips head screw (I dont have power seats but I imagine there isnt much more than this). Then you can push on the side reach up under the seat and pop the two clips loose.

4th. The seat cover will then pull back out of the way exposing the foam.

5th. Remove the foam core and examine, it usually tears on the left rear side, were a factory weld on the seat frame caused a point that cuts into the foam and allows the tear to begin. I hammered these down so i dont have to deal with them again after this.

6th. Were you find tears on the foam, I sprayed them with glue and pressed the foam together untill the foam was somewhat together. Then I cut little strips of burlap for individual tear sizes and glued the burlap strips over the seam of the tore foam.

7th. I cut strips burlap about 1" wide and about 5" long and glued the strips into the bottom side of the foam that sits against the metal seat frame.

8th. Next I cut out the burlap into two 14"x"14 squares and glued them to the bottom the foam peices.

9th. Once everything is dry, I put my foam squares on the seat (burlap facing the bottom the foam peices), then put the seat foam on top you should check the seat with just the one inch and then just the two inch foam to see how you like the feel, i personally liked it super cushy so i used both peices under the seat foam.

10th. Put the seat cover back on, you might want help if you use all three pieces, it comes in handy to have the wife push down on the front of the seat while you reattach the front clip by reaching it from the back seat, because the foam pushes the seat foam up it makes the cover fit tighter.

Final. With the seat foam enforced with burlap and the extra foam your seat will feel like a nicer ride and should last without paying the dealer a 100.00 ever few years for new foam.
here's the one i used, it worked great and it has some pics so you can see what he done: https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...-the-cure.html

Old 04-21-2010, 11:44 PM
JMB3384
Professional

Thanks guys! I guess I do kinda slide out of my truck but I also use it for for and I'm constantly getiing in and out of it. I'm sure that doesn't help. I will probably try that method you replied with fk1022. Thanks again guys!

Old 04-23-2010, 11:08 PM
me0418840987
Veteran

I'm in and out of mine all day. Work truck, 147,000 and the second cover is almost worn thru. The upholstry guy in town has some cloth from 1980's chevys that he redoes landscapers and masons seats with. Says he will give a good warranty on it. 250.00 per seat. Newer Dodge cloth sucks. My 00 Dakota never even looked worn even with 91,000 when I traded it on the ram.

Old 04-23-2010, 11:21 PM
rocket23
Champion

Nice informative thread well done peeps.

Quick Reply: 2006 Drivers seat wearing out...