3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Sooo, GM just plain sucks?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2005 | 02:19 AM
Randy_W
Professional
Default RE: Sooo, GM just plain sucks?

"It must feel so good to be right, there's nothing quite like pointing out the shortcomings of others is there."
You pretty much explain yourself with that one quotation, no additional comment needed!

Old 05-10-2005 | 04:43 AM
hoobasta4
Rookie

Yeah, I agree with the fact that the company should live up to it and just fix the problem, and maybe GM hasn't done that with the vette engine and so fourth, but Dodge has had its fair share of those types of things where they didn't want to admit it was a problem. At least with the ball joints they finally said "yes, we'll fix" but that was ONLY after the government came into play and Dodge still doesn't consider it a saftey problem!! They consider it a equipment malfunction. But either way I guess its being fixed. The only thing is that several people, including myself, have these replaced and then the dealer notices the rack is toast along with the tie rods and tie rod ends! What bull****! So luckily I got my rack replaced but the tie rods weren't included. Came to find out the the right tie rod was fine but ended up replacing the left tie rod twice and the problem still continues.. the guys at the Dodge dealer are stumped. Thats why i'm trading it for a 2005 Dodge Ram.

Speaking of the Ram, I test drove it today (the truck now has 22 miles on it, beautiful!). I fell in love with it. I have wednesday off of work so I'm going to get the bank work rolling and hopefully pick it up at the end of the week if not next week sometime. But I still may test drive a chevy, for the hell of it anyway.

And hey, I'd definetly take the new C-6 motor. But my dream car is the Viper

Hooby

Old 05-10-2005 | 05:15 AM
IrishRagE

Good point Hooba,

Don't forget the tranny issues of the 90s. My point is that I didn't suffer through those instaces. I only care about what affects me (am I alone)? The only prob I've had with both the 04 and 05 ram is the stabalizer bars out of tourque.....fixed immediately, problem alleviated. If the ram had probs like GM did with my GTO, I'd be singing the same tune against Dodge.

Old 05-11-2005 | 03:53 PM
Avanti
Captain

Every company mass-producing anything have some problems. Now, as to fessing up... none are very good, in my books. Hey, I'Rage ya been following the broken front suspensions on the Dakotas, and the attendent law-suits to get some kind of recompense?

Sorry about your GTO. My supercharged LS-1 works just fine, thanks. I stand by my comment.

All the best.

Old 05-12-2005 | 12:25 AM
rob[GL]
All Star

This is nicer...

[IMG]local://upfiles/9346/08C49CE961504EF4941FBB02A1F865E8.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-12-2005 | 01:22 AM
magnethead
Legend

way back when, GM was good. We have a bone stock 7 GMC with 350,000 miles on the origional motor (gasser) and tranny, and the motor for it's age is in superb condition, has headers and the truck itself only weighs 7,000 pounds. That is considering it's pulled a 8,000 pound trailer all it's life (we're the third owners and every owner used it to pull a heavy trailer) and nothing's been rebuilt. doesn't look all that great, but probably runs better than the HEMI.

On the flip side, we have a camaro thats showing engine problems and it's only 18 years old and we had a 98 monte carlo that just plain fell apart- the drivers seat was held together with duct tape and the panel under the glovebox fell off. Wasn't the best chevy we've ever owned, but the 2 S-10's we've owned were far below it in condition.

Old 05-12-2005 | 04:37 AM
BLee85

Woah, this thread got big fast.

For your information, I live on Long Island. I go to school in Hamilton (Colgate University). This winter wasn't really that bad at all. I drove the Campus Safety Caravan in the winter and never had a problem accept from a deadstop trying to go up a hill but even that wasn't too bad.

I guess it's all in the luck of the draw. Im starting to look more into the AWD rice rockets (Evo and STi)....after not driving for so long, I completely forgot about how high the gas prices have gotten. 2.30+ for regular?! WOW. The last time I looked at gas prices they were down near 2.00....this is just getting crazy.

....and rob[GL], that truck is crazy! What sized tires and lift is that? Im guessing a 6" lift with 35's? The tread doesn't look suitable for the streets but man does that thing look mean....

Old 06-07-2005 | 08:20 AM
Wulf60

You want a good indicator of recent GM quality control and design problems, all you have to do is pick up the newest Consumer Reports magazine and look at the back under vehicle recalls. I believe there are 6 major recalls listed, and all are GM models.

By the way, to the guy who is saying that one of the big 3 tanking would have serious and long lasting implications to all manufacturers. I really don't think that is the case. IF that happened, all their smaller divisions would be piecemeal sold off to other manufacturers to pay off debt, and the other makers would slide right in and pick up the slack anyway. the only real impact you might see is a few thousand lost jobs, and even that is unlikely, since whoever buys them up will most likely keep the same factorys running and only lay off plant management to put their own in place.

Overall impact would be pretty minimal IMO, but it will never happen, because rather than let a crappy company that is poorly run and has quality to cost issues go under, our government would step in and bail them out, because that is what they do.

Old 06-07-2005 | 10:48 AM
moparturd
Banned

That's right. Just like they did Chrysler back in the 80's.

GM's a big company with many divisions. They can easily sell off parts to stay afloat.

Old 06-07-2005 | 12:13 PM
osteodoc08
Record Breaker

Judging by the newest reports they're gonna have to do something. Fish or cut bait, fellas.

Quick Reply: Sooo, GM just plain sucks?