3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Sooo, GM just plain sucks?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2005 | 04:31 AM
RamObsessed
Default RE: Sooo, GM just plain sucks?

ORIGINAL: hoobasta4
RamObessed~
I don't live in NY. I live in Wisconsin. I was referring to NY in terms that my dad traveled up to Canada over by NY several times. So don't worry, we get our good amount of snow and ****ty weather like you guys over in NY, hell, we might get a little more snow even, but as of the past 4 years, we haven't gotten any really! What kind of GM vehicles did you friends have and what problems did they have? How old were the vehicles, how hard were they driven, all details!

So, besides being biased, which truck do you think I should go for?

Another thing to note when selecting a truck, I own a graphic design business called Eternal GraphX. And from time to time I carry around signs and stuff in the back along with my equipment. So I don't need anything real big. Also, I take my bro to hockey games/practices, and sometimes his teammates need a ride, so it would be hard having a reg cab, but then again, I could just tell them that I can't take them!

Hooby
Oh ok, sorry, I thought you meant you lived in NY I cant even really say what vehicles and what the problems where. I didnt get too into detail with them. They were all trucks and SUV's though and the problems they had were engine issues and the like and were all big bucks to fix. As far as age....some were 97 or 98's and others were newer...2002+. They were driven decently....nothing insane. Not abused or anything. Usual commuting and some decent work done with them.

TRYING not to be totally biased lol, Id still stick with Dodge. Just because, personally, Ive never known somebody who had major issues with theirs. Plus I have to love mine that has almost 62k on it and Ive had basically nothing done but oil changes. My brakes are still stock!! They are about to be replaced in 2 weeks but they are still not really NEEDING it badly. I just LOVE my truck....its been great. Again, Im SO trying to not be biased...but its hard lol.
Sounds like you could use a 6' bed with a quad cab if you do plan on carting people around.

Old 05-09-2005 | 04:34 AM
RamObsessed

OK I just got really confused. Are you (hoobasta4) and the originator (Blee85) the same person??? Because I asked about him being in NY and you answered. [&:]

Old 05-09-2005 | 11:14 AM
Randy_W
Professional

ORIGINAL: mopartodd

I'm sure the gov't will offer to buy them out as well. Actually it's been in the neighborhood of what, 20 years, since Chrysler got the loan from the Fed. They did repay the debt. as well from what I recall. Ahead of time.

Personal preference doesn't make a product better.
You're right.

My point was that reliablity and quality strengthen personal preference though.

Bottomline is that there's good and bad everything. I've seen enough of the bad not drive it.

I don't know how old you are, but 20 years ain't that long ago, and yes it was paid back early. They did a good job with the breaks they were given, thanks largely to Iacocca's good management. Can you imagine the fallout if they had folded? As for your bottomline quote, if I'd thought that way I'd have never owned the last 5 Dodge trucks. I bought a new Magnum in '78, it spent 43 days in the shop the first year!

Old 05-09-2005 | 11:16 AM
IrishRagE

I had a 2004 SLT QC hemi 4x4...then switched to the goat. I thought that by 04 GM would have smartened up and fixed their design issues. I was wrong.....so I turned around and went right back to the truck that ram like a top...a Laramie QC hemi 4x4.

Old 05-09-2005 | 12:46 PM
|3|ackAc|D
Record Breaker

this is a stupid argument...

any truck can look good. it just depends on what ur into.. any 4x4 dude would say that truck looks awsome with that lift.. hell i think its pretty cool. altho my truck 4x4 eh.. idk it has the sport accent pieces around so eh .. nah..

but

if u want to see something thats is wtf? look at this thing

now this truck vrs the gmc? ... bling factor wins

[IMG]local://upfiles/7734/FD19CFB9FD564AF49C5EA5697669AC51.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/7734/8DD0B370D26647B3914915ED1C813E39.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-09-2005 | 01:26 PM
GMsucks
Record Breaker

GM's SUCK.
Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet, GMC, Hummer, Olds, Pontiac, Saab, Saturn......... They all suck.

Cheap interiors, underpowered engines, poor dealer service networks, out-of-date styling.......... GM reacts to the market rather than designing vehicles that people want. They wait for Ford and Dodge and Toyota to go out on the limb and design cutting edge vehicles then they react and try to provide the same vehicles after the others have proven sucessful. The only problem with that is, they are always at least a year or two behind the rest of the pack. And, when they do try to keep up with the Jones' they rush vehicles through the design and evaluation phases which causes many first run quality problems (GM's 1,500,000 quarterly recalls explained).

Sure, everyone has recalls, but Jesus, GM recalls nearly every damn vehicle they build!

I worked for a GM division for awhile, I know how bad they suck!

Old 05-09-2005 | 01:46 PM
mozingod
Rookie

ORIGINAL: GMsucks
...underpowered engines...
I have to disagree with that one. I had an '01 Transam WS6 and absolutley loved it. Besides, look at the new LS7... 500hp from a normal OHV pushrod. For Ford to even get close to that with their new Cobra they have to use variable DOHC's and a blower.

GM and their crate engines will alway reign supreme in my book for power. Their cars are another story though.

Old 05-09-2005 | 03:05 PM
moparturd
Banned

I don't know how old you are, but 20 years ain't that long ago, and yes it was paid back early. They did a good job with the breaks they were given, thanks largely to Iacocca's good management. Can you imagine the fallout if they had folded? As for your bottomline quote, if I'd thought that way I'd have never owned the last 5 Dodge trucks. I bought a new Magnum in '78, it spent 43 days in the shop the first year!
You know, I'm not disputing your way of thinking, but I feel as though I have justification for the way I view GM products. I'm glad you didn't limit yourself from buying Mopars. At least that way you'll have something that gets you around.

Old 05-09-2005 | 03:06 PM
moparturd
Banned

ORIGINAL: mozingod

ORIGINAL: GMsucks
...underpowered engines...
I have to disagree with that one. I had an '01 Transam WS6 and absolutley loved it. Besides, look at the new LS7... 500hp from a normal OHV pushrod. For Ford to even get close to that with their new Cobra they have to use variable DOHC's and a blower.

GM and their crate engines will alway reign supreme in my book for power. Their cars are another story though.

Have you looked at any of the Mopar Performance engines? They shouldn't be overlooked. Lots of available power.

Old 05-09-2005 | 03:09 PM
moparturd
Banned

ORIGINAL: |3|ackAc|D

this is a stupid argument...

any truck can look good. it just depends on what ur into.. any 4x4 dude would say that truck looks awsome with that lift.. hell i think its pretty cool. altho my truck 4x4 eh.. idk it has the sport accent pieces around so eh .. nah..

but

if u want to see something thats is wtf? look at this thing

now this truck vrs the gmc? ... bling factor wins

[IMG]local://upfiles/7734/FD19CFB9FD564AF49C5EA5697669AC51.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/7734/8DD0B370D26647B3914915ED1C813E39.jpg[/IMG]
This guy obviously built and uses his truck for more than posing.

Quick Reply: Sooo, GM just plain sucks?