3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Catalytic Converter ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 07:28 PM
MeTaL
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Catalytic Converter ?

A few months ago I had Pacesetter LT headers, Pacesetter Y-Pipe, Aero Turbine muffler, and a Magnaflow cat. put on my truck. All was fine for a week or two then the dreaded check engine light came on.... It's now been on for 2 months or so...forget the code #, but it's for cat efficiency. To make a long story somewhat short, my gas mileage has tanked and I was wondering if I could be using the "wrong" cat? I ordered the Magnaflow 94169 from Moe's and I should have realized from the time I received it, that it was about half the size of the stock cat. I've been searching around for other people having problems after doing LT's and haven't found anything related to what's happening to me. Any thoughts?

Old 05-27-2010, 07:33 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Do a search for Non-foulers and go from there. Thats whay guys use

Old 05-27-2010, 07:48 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

My mileage got better, not a lot, but definitely better after putting on LT headers and I'm running the stock cats.

What O2 is setting off the CEL? If it's a post cat, it will not effect anything the PCM does, but if it's pre-cat it will. Could be it's got you running way to rich?

Old 05-27-2010, 07:55 PM
RedTruck-VA
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MeTaL
A few months ago I had Pacesetter LT headers, Pacesetter Y-Pipe, Aero Turbine muffler, and a Magnaflow cat. put on my truck. All was fine for a week or two then the dreaded check engine light came on.... It's now been on for 2 months or so...forget the code #, but it's for cat efficiency. To make a long story somewhat short, my gas mileage has tanked and I was wondering if I could be using the "wrong" cat? I ordered the Magnaflow 94169 from Moe's and I should have realized from the time I received it, that it was about half the size of the stock cat. I've been searching around for other people having problems after doing LT's and haven't found anything related to what's happening to me. Any thoughts?
Metal, yes with a modified exhaust often you will get codes. The anti-foulers solve this problem. I spoke with Bob at Moe's today about this same. exhaust system. So what is your opinion of the system now that you have run it for a while? Also, we have a thread of our own for the 2003 model. The link is in my signature. Good luck...

Old 05-27-2010, 08:02 PM
MeTaL
Rookie

Truck is definitely running rich (I can smell it) no idea why its running so rich either...Had the SC performance tune on it, but decided to put it back to stock in hopes it would lean it out. Didn't do anything, I can still smell gas all the time. I think I need to have the PCM reflashed, because my RPM's drop at idle, to around 500 and the truck starts to shake a little. Could this cause me to be running so rich possibly? As for how I like the setup...I love it! It sounds awesome!

Old 05-27-2010, 09:52 PM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned

I've got the pacesetter lt's with magnaflow high flow cats and pacesetter y pipe. After I installed the setup I started getting a code due to the high flow cats. Did the non-fouler trick back in January and haven't had a code since.

Old 05-27-2010, 10:23 PM
RedTruck-VA
Champion

Originally Posted by MeTaL
Truck is definitely running rich (I can smell it) no idea why its running so rich either...Had the SC performance tune on it, but decided to put it back to stock in hopes it would lean it out. Didn't do anything, I can still smell gas all the time. I think I need to have the PCM reflashed, because my RPM's drop at idle, to around 500 and the truck starts to shake a little. Could this cause me to be running so rich possibly? As for how I like the setup...I love it! It sounds awesome!
As Hammer pointed out the first O2 sensor inputs to the PCM "open loop" / "close Loop" It is pointing at that O2 sensor needs to be changed. Are you running single cat? What thermostat do have? Your PCM may be in a cold state, fattening the fuel system. Reboot PCM won't hurt. Good luck..

Old 05-27-2010, 10:37 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

You need to put the SC performance tune back on, even though it may not solve your problem, the timing is pretty advanced which will lean you out a bit...

Old 05-28-2010, 09:02 AM
MeTaL
Rookie

Yeah, I'm only running a single cat (that's all my truck had stock) and a 180 T-stat. About the O2 sensor being in a "loop"..I brought the truck to a buddy that hooked up his scan tool and was watching the sensors while the truck was running. Apparently they pass the test, but they are fluctuating up and down at almost the exact same times (I'm not very knowledgeable about O2 sensors). I'll try rebooting the PCM later today after work and see if that helps any.

Old 05-28-2010, 09:14 AM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned

Do you know what the code is that you are getting?

Quick Reply: Catalytic Converter ?