3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Is the 3rd gen ram a better built truck than the 2nd gen ram?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 10:39 PM
penfold
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is the 3rd gen ram a better built truck than the 2nd gen ram?

So i have a 2nd gen ram with about 125k miles, and now that my wife and i own a house we are thinking about having children. This means that my 99 Sport Regular cab is going to have to be replaced. I am not going say there is going to much a love loss when i sell it because i bought the truck when it had 70k miles on it, and since then i have had to replace both wheel bearings, all 4 ball joints, both u-joints, both sway bar end ripped out and a few months ago a tie rod end snapped. This week i have to do the track bar. Never mind the plenum gasket and fuel pump dying. The best part is that after i did the ball joints i brought the truck to get an alignment, only to find out that i should have put in adjustable ones. Awesome!

Whatever, maybe i got a lemon, maybe this is the typical dodge as everyone who owns a GM has told me that the front ends fall apart.

I just dont want to buy another dodge (3rd gen) with around 50k miles only to have to rebuild an entire front again after 2 or 3 years of owning the truck. If this is the case, i'll probably look at buying a titan or f-150.

I guess i am looking for assurance that the 3rd gen is built more robust than the 2nd gen, and not just nicer looking.

Thanks!

Old 07-27-2010, 10:47 PM
tlawre87
Veteran

My moms 96 has a 170K on it, all original including the tranny. The front end was rebuilt around 150K. This truck is used for towing all the time too. My 01 4x4 only had to have a wheel bearing and a u-joint. I really think you got a bad one.
To your question I think they are a solid truck, engines with way more power. Transmissions seem good too if they are taken care off. my .02 cents.

Old 07-27-2010, 10:48 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Dunno, I had a 2nd Gen I bought new in '98 that never had a single issue outside of routine maintenance thru the 68,000 miles I had it. My current '04 has 48,000 miles on it and the only problem outside of regular maintenance I've had is a blown shock, replaced under warranty when the truck was about 9 months old...

Problem with a used truck is you never know how the first owner took care of it.

And btw, have you read any of the GM truck forums lately? I got a good hunting buddy just linked me to a post he made earlier this evening that said:

Originally Posted by xxxxxxxx
I will NEVER buy another GM product. I have a 09 chevy i bought new on 5-4-10 and its been in the shop 13 times since i bought it and the dealership i bought it from refuses to work on it anymore cause it "makes there service department look bad" thats the exact words of the service manager told me and chevy refuses to buy it back.

Old 07-28-2010, 12:49 AM
bigdaddyII
Captain

I dont know about the Titans, but I can tell you that ball joints and tie rod ends fail on Fords as well. Replacing chasis pieces like that are more common place now that they come sealed for "life" from the factory. I had to change the ball joints and tie rod ends on my Ram too. Around 100,000 miles I start checking those parts anyway. I expect to have to change those.

To stay on track with your question though, on my 3rd generation, all of the ball joints, outer tie rod ends, shocks, and the drivers wheel bearing was changed once. The passenger wheel bearing was changed 3x. Universial joints were changed at least twice. The truck has 130,000 miles on it.

Last edited by bigdaddyII; 07-28-2010 at 12:57 AM.
Old 07-28-2010, 02:09 AM
2001Ram
Captain

Well, I went from a 2001 to a 2006. Unless your single cab is a diesel, it was most likely made in Mexico. With CHEAP parts. Correct me if I am wrong, but the 3rd gens are made in USA. I know my 2006 is.

Old 07-28-2010, 08:55 AM
brettj2408
Captain

the 3rd gens are better built IMO.
dodge came out with a good looking truck, a new 45RFE and 5-45RFE, the HEMI 5.7, and the 4.7 v8 came in to replace the 318, 9.25 corporate axle

only down falls, is every truck will have front end parts replaced when it comes to time. Racks/tie rods are fairly common on the ram's
I own a 2500 which comes with a SFA but I do wish the 1500's still came with them and the dana's

Old 07-28-2010, 02:22 PM
Mega-Hemi
Record Breaker

Both 3rd Gens I've owned were made in Mexico.

Old 07-28-2010, 03:23 PM
ramjamhemi
Professional

The steering rack and 9.2 LSD axle seems to be the big possible issues. Transmission should be ok if you maintain it well. Otherwise the 3rd gen is a good looking and solid built truck IMHO.

Old 07-28-2010, 04:38 PM
Thatonekidw/theHEMI
Veteran

Now companies like everyone else are looking for the cheapest parts and ways to build there product. BUT on the same page, New technology and design has improved over the last 5-10 years.

To me its not about either. If you take the time to properly maintain your vehicle and keep a close eye for problems, most can be prevented before they happen.

Old 07-28-2010, 06:02 PM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

both 2nd gens and 3rd gens were both really made well, people seem to think trannys are a downfall but people will go well past 100xxx on a stock tranny . i dunno i think it depends on how ell the 1st people took care of it.

the dodge motors are all bulletproof, i like the 5.9 because its kida old school motor that has potential just really detuned from the factory.

Quick Reply: Is the 3rd gen ram a better built truck than the 2nd gen ram?