3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Leveled with New Tires and ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 02:56 PM
daddykirbs
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leveled with New Tires and ?'s

Hi guys, I recently gave up my 20" rims for some awesome black 17" rims. I wrapped them in 295/70-17 Nitto Terra Grapplers. I put a set of level keys in to bring the front end up a little. I also had "Roadmaster Active Suspension" www.activesuspension.com put on the back to help when I tow the boat and camper (not at same time).

When I had the keys put in I asked the guy at the shop if it would make the front end ride rough/different and he said no. He said it would keep the factory ride. Well, now that it's all done somethings different and I don't want to blame the keys if it's not.

When I go over bumps that drop off sharply the front end hits real hard. As if the front end is pushing down toward the ground so hard that it "punches" the ground if the front end comes off the ground a little. I know that doesn't make much sense, but I didn't know how else to say it.

I also have noticed a couple of times where I'm turning a corner at a slightly higher speed and the front end hops sideways. I'm a pretty conservative driver so this isn't me being crazy with the speed in the turns.

Also... is there a chart somewhere that shows the appropriate CV angles? I would like to compare mine to something "normal".

I'm wondering if the shop cranked the torsion bars AND installed keys?? I know the active suspension brought the rear end up a little so I'm wondering if they tried to compensate for that. My truck still isn't exactly level.

Thanks.

Old 08-12-2010, 02:59 PM
daddykirbs
Professional

Another question sort of related... what I really want to do is a 4 inch suspension lift, but all the kits I've seen say that the maximum wheel width is 8.5 inches. The wheels I just bought are 17x9. Did I just screw myself for future suspension lifts?

Old 08-12-2010, 03:03 PM
Gasturbine
Professional

I recently leveled mine just by adjusting the existing keys. I have no ill affects what so ever, in fact, it might ride a little better because of the change in weight distribution, and it took me all of 10 minutes.

My only concerns are what you have already mentioned...CV angle, and suspension geometry...Im going to have mine aligned (free) at next service, and Ill report back if they had to change anything.

-Chris

Old 08-12-2010, 06:49 PM
all of 75
Veteran

Maybe you need longer shocks. It's an ongoing debate on here whether to do so or not, but maybe that could fix the problem.

Also, are your tires a larger overall diameter then what you had? Because if they are and the level's lift may have increased the center of gravity, possibly creating your problems.

I didn't change my shocks when I installed the kit and I haven't had any problems. I've even done some prerunning-style stuff and even trying to jump it with no bottoming out whatsoever.

My truck isn't perfectly level with the leveling kit on either but I have airbags in the rear too.

Last edited by all of 75; 08-12-2010 at 06:52 PM.
Old 08-12-2010, 07:12 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

You need longer shocks, they are topping out, I've seen guys crack their windshields hitting hard off-road with factory length shocks.

I have 17x9 wheels on my Rancho lift and I know a guy with the same lift with 18x10s with no problem. Docs with my kit actually said "max tire is 35x12.5 with 8.5 width wheel" meaning you need AT LEAST a 8.5" wheel for a 12.5" wide tire...

Old 08-12-2010, 09:19 PM
rocket23
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i don't like the sound of the stutter step you get in the corners.... alignment???

Old 08-12-2010, 09:38 PM
daddykirbs
Professional

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
You need longer shocks, they are topping out, I've seen guys crack their windshields hitting hard off-road with factory length shocks...
ok, that makes sense. I'll do a search for which shocks to get. Thanks a bunch. I have seen some on here using the shocks for the 2500. That sound right?

Old 08-12-2010, 09:51 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

There is a list of some popular branded shocks with part numbers for leveled 1500s in the FAQ section...

Old 08-12-2010, 09:58 PM
PhotogTom
Veteran

Originally Posted by rocket23
i don't like the sound of the stutter step you get in the corners.... alignment???
I don't like that. One thought that comes to mind is that the tires are inflated very high - too high for the load that they're carrying. Check your pressure, and keep in mind that you have a larger tire on the vehicle, capable of carrying more weight.

Old 08-13-2010, 11:39 AM
daddykirbs
Professional

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
There is a list of some popular branded shocks with part numbers for leveled 1500s in the FAQ section...
I see the FAQ thread labeled "shocks" but I don't see in it much about leveled 1500 2" longer shocks.

I'm sure I'm missing something...

Quick Reply: Leveled with New Tires and ?'s