3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

A/C works when driving, but at idle it dose not

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 09:19 PM
Waldosram
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C works when driving, but at idle it dose not

I have a 02 1500 single cab, while im driving the a/c blows cold just fine, but when i stop it blows hot air. ive had this happen before and i jsut replaced the funse for the fan, but this time the fuse is fine, i replaced the relay and still the same thing. I KNOW its not the compressor cause it turns on and off just fine. so its something with the fan, does anybody know why this keeps happening? ive checked the wires and they are jsut fine, no bare wire no cross wires. PLZ HELP!

Old 08-29-2010, 09:38 PM
miller2josh
Amateur

most likely needs recharged a bit. the same thing is going on with my 02. just gotta give it a bit of a charge and should b good.

Old 08-29-2010, 09:45 PM
Redsol1
Default Sorta hijack....Sry

Would a low charge also cause the compressor to be unusually loud, especialy when accelerating? I've got the same cold when driving/warm when idle issue but the compressor is loud, so loud i can hear it in the passenger compartment when at speed.

Thanks, Hijack over

La'

Redsol1

Old 08-29-2010, 10:38 PM
clarkj2416

Originally Posted by Waldosram
I have a 02 1500 single cab, while im driving the a/c blows cold just fine, but when i stop it blows hot air. ive had this happen before and i jsut replaced the funse for the fan, but this time the fuse is fine, i replaced the relay and still the same thing. I KNOW its not the compressor cause it turns on and off just fine. so its something with the fan, does anybody know why this keeps happening? ive checked the wires and they are jsut fine, no bare wire no cross wires. PLZ HELP!
Is the fan coming on? If the fan is coming on then it's low on freon. At an idle the compressor is pumping slower and youre not getting the volume of freon to the evaporator. Top off the system and you should be fine. If that doesn't take care of the problem then you could have a restriction somewhere in the system.

Old 08-30-2010, 02:10 AM
abarmby
Champion

You must check to see if the AC condenser fan runs ALL the time the AC is switched on.
Very importantly, you must also check to se if this fan is pulling air over the AC condenser radiator at a strong rate.
These AC fan motors wear out the electrical brushes inside them and they either stop working/become intermittent/or very weak in power and torque so they don't efficiently pull enough air across the radiator to cool the system.
Check this first and post up what you find.
Hope this helps?
Al.

Old 08-30-2010, 06:29 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

While I was going to mention low freon as well, I was more leaning towards the fan not running either. Go out there and just start the truck and turn on the AC. As soon as you do, the fan should be running.

Worse case with it being an 02, you need some freon. It wouldnt hurt to check the level.

Old 08-30-2010, 07:23 AM
Bent
Veteran

is it easy/worthwhile to just add freaon?
or should the system be purged and have vacuum pulled on it to flash off any moisture first?

Old 08-30-2010, 07:35 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

depends on how low it is IMO.

Old 08-30-2010, 06:34 PM
Waldosram

I had the truck checked today and they said it was low, i had a leak in one of the hoses and they fixed it, THANK-YOU for all the help!!!!!!

Old 08-31-2010, 08:54 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

Did they mention how low it was?

Quick Reply: A/C works when driving, but at idle it dose not