3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-05-2015, 09:05 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Lighting Guides
Print Wikipost

Got *HID* Problems? Check in here...

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2016, 07:46 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by Dereck Jackson
I just hooked up my hid lights in my 07.dodge ram 1500. When my truck is turned off and I turn my low and hi on they work. But when I turn my truck on the low beams work and when I switch to my hi beams the flash 3 times and shut off. How do I fix this??? Please help......

Do you have the relay harness installed? It would help us to help you if you describe your setup so we don't have to guess.

Old 07-26-2016, 09:58 PM
LEDOAUTO
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I add a resistor with HID and solve the problem. But that is not good foor installation. If the resistor could be put into the ballast that would be perfect.

Old 07-26-2016, 10:47 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by LEDOAUTO
I add a resistor with HID and solve the problem. But that is not good foor installation. If the resistor could be put into the ballast that would be perfect.
Warned you once. Sent you a vendor letter. PM'd you. Sorry. You got a ban.

Old 08-13-2016, 06:34 PM
Joe.G
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I tried the Super bright LED, what I noticed was the they lit everything up nice while sitting still or going down a back country road slow, On a main road you are easily able to out drive the lights they lit up in front of the truck fine but not very far and they have a lot wider beam. The High beam seems to do nothing but shut the fog lights down so Low Beam works better.

The Fog lights work well and the color of both I like.

I am not very happy with them as far being able to see well and I do feel they are unsafe. There are 2 Led one on each side so that may be the issue with this style lite not giving light off 360 degrees.

I just bought these headlights and going to give them a shot with these housings but not expecting anything different.

http://www.carid.com/2004-dodge-ram-...-60950319.html

I also just bought this HID kit which Ill try its Hid for Lo and Hi beam, 35 W 6000K Color

http://www.opt-7.com/boltzen-ac-canb...s-35w-hid-kit/

And these 2 add ons not sure if I need them but just encase

http://www.opt-7.com/anti-flicker-wi...s-for-hid-kit/

http://www.opt-7.com/hid-kit-capacit...ncellors-pair/

I can say the Led kit was pretty easy to hook up, the Hid kit seems to have more to it.

The LED Kit gave me no issues as far as light out indicator or flicker.

Old 08-13-2016, 06:35 PM
Joe.G
Veteran

Ok, So this is where I am at First off it sucks not having phone support.

So I hooked everything up for a dry run nothing run or mounted just lying on top of motor, I had gotten low beams on but no high beam and I also had the lamp out issue, I swapped the power wire between the lo and the high in the connector and I then had hi but no lo, so I put it all back to stock.

I was getting really frustrated at this point so I remembered I had two of these from the LED Install

https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...lbs/2176/5076/

I plugged the Drivers side truck harness into one end and the Hid harness into the other, and I got Hi and Lo beam but still had lamp out light so I plugged the Passenger side vehicle harness into the 2nd Cap and left the 2 nd cap Output unplugged as I had nothing to plug it into and everything worked, no Lamp out and Hi and Lo both work. I ran out of time so Tomorrow I will run all the wires and see how I like them at night.

Anyone see any issues with the set up so far?

Old 08-13-2016, 06:35 PM
Joe.G
Veteran

I have everything mounted and all seems to be working well, I got rid of these

http://www.opt-7.com/hid-kit-capacit...ncellors-pair/

as I have read that they are not need nor are they good for my year truck do to the high current draw, I noticed no difference with them in or out and them by themselves with out the Resistors still gave me the dash light and I had no high beam .I just used these

https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...lbs/2176/5076/

I have not taken them out yet and may not get to tonight as it is raining, I notice against the garage door Low beam seems a bit more scattered and the High beam seems more focused is this normal? I am only about 4-5 ft away.

Resistors are the Key to making these work I believe not sure why they are not included in the kits.

One thing I did notice is if I shut the truck off with the lights on If I try and turn the lights off then they will sometimes stay on, I have to turn the headlight switch back on then off.

Old 08-15-2016, 11:19 AM
Joe.G
Veteran

Hi, I was wondering if you could tell me how the Bi Xenon bulb is postioned for Low beam and how it is for High Beam, What I mean is does the Bulb get pulled in toward the Base/Truck for Low or High beam? and Pushed out toward the front of the truck for what position?

I have everything hooked up with out any issues but I do think Low and High are reversed.

I read every page of your Hid Problem I learned a lot thank you.

Old 08-16-2016, 11:33 PM
KasperR34
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Joe, the best way to run HID's is to **** off with the connector kits. I have 35w low and 100w highs, both 6k

Cut off connectors and run high powe and ground to each other, and same with the low (I believe they share the same ground) This way you have no lamp out indicators, and all factory wiring besides connectors are utilized.

Mind you, it's been 3 years since I wired mine in. I don't remember 100%, however I don't mind yanking the heads and looking for you.

If you have any other questions, feel free to PM me and I'll help you out man.

Old 08-17-2016, 07:56 AM
Joe.G
Veteran

I have everything wired up and have no issues no lamp out either, I am just trying to verifie if I have the Low and Hi beam wire correct. If I ever replace the Kit I will be using A company that has Tech support for sure not these BS Ebay type company.

Old 08-19-2016, 04:06 PM
justin0943
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

has anyone seen the new led supposedly their 40w an 4000lm a bulb that's brighter then 55w hid kits I planning on switching my 55w hid fogs for these so when I go from hi to lo I don't have to wait plus the led according to spec has more lm and their cob led those things are bright I change my interior light blind yourself when they come on
http://www.ebay.com/itm/80W-8000LM-L...mea8Uw&vxp=mtr

Quick Reply: Got *HID* Problems? Check in here...