3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Mounting HID's

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 08:32 PM
Josh E
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mounting HID's

Just got my 6k HID's in for the fogs and headlights. Still waiting for my truck to go into the shop for repair after smoking that deer a week or so ago. My question is this..............how and where are you guys securely mounting the ballast for the headlights and fog lights. I've tried doing a search for this subject and i remember once finding something about it but i'm not having any luck now. Thanks in advance

Old 11-22-2010, 08:38 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

For the headlights, either ziptie the ballasts to the frame along the inside of the fenders or bolt down the brackets to the frame inside the fenders. It's the body color painted frame support, not the actual frame itself.
For the fogs, I ziptied them to the bumper support brackets with the plug-in connector facing the ground.

Old 11-22-2010, 09:23 PM
Josh E
Professional

Would you happen to have a picture or two.........I think i'm understanding, just wanna make sure. Probably won't be hard to figure out but at the current time, my hood is jammed shut so i can't actually place exactly were your talking about. This might be a dumb question but there HID units are fairly "sealed" i take it. I just don't wanna place it to where it takes a beating from the elements over and over and cause a malfunction. Thanks again. Josh

Old 11-23-2010, 06:44 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I think Ive got some pics of mine. These are under the truck on the frame.

Old 11-23-2010, 03:01 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator

Well, I did mine tucked behind the bumper out of any rain spray and salt for the fogs because I'm in upstate NY. I also put the headlights as stated on the frame pillars just under the fenders. Tough to really snap a pic of as I mounted them from the underside. You just HAVE to make sure they are solid and not bouncing around. They cannot be moving, which is why I used 2 zipties crossed like an X on it. OK, well 3 on the fogs cuz that little white one keeps the X tighter...lol Putting closed cell foam or something that doesn't absorb water behind them will help against the vibrations as well, like a small piece of double sided tape. I used nothing but zippies.
Lettering is a bit small, but the left is the fogs and the right/top is the headlight ballast

My headlight ballasts are: pass side is right near snorkel input of stock air intake, driverside is just below the TIPM next to the battery.

Last edited by dirtydog; 11-23-2010 at 03:15 PM.
Old 11-23-2010, 09:14 PM
Josh E
Professional

Life without zip ties...............where would we be. lol Thanks guys for the pictures........my bumper which is currently smashed all to hell is going to be replaced by the 05 sport bumper so maybe i'll have some nice spots to hide'em. Weed it looks like you might have shot the ballest to the rails with self tappers? If so, that'll probably be my route....no offense Rich! lol Good to know that they need to be "vibration proof" also........makes sense. Thanks guys for the pics and insight, much appreciated

Old 11-23-2010, 09:30 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator

I'm utterly offended....lol j/k
they just cant be bnging around is all and you want them as far away from heat as possible.

Old 11-23-2010, 10:50 PM
glass3222
Captain

I only have HID headlights, but I mounted my ballast by the radiator

Name:  DSC00157.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  70.2 KB
Name:  DSC00158.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  65.7 KB

Old 11-24-2010, 07:25 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

^^^ Thats where my others are mounted.

Old 11-24-2010, 07:03 PM
Josh E
Professional

Glass...............i know the units have to be sealed but it appears they might take alot of the elements being placed there? Good idea though........looks good

Quick Reply: Mounting HID's