3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Look at all the tuners how do I choose!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 12:09 PM
jakedawgwhite88
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Look at all the tuners how do I choose!!!!

I've looked and looked and keep getting different results everywhere now I get to ask the questions and I want to know what tuners do you guys like and why do you like them vs another or others you've tried. i'm looking for something that will help with gas and be decently efficient in the power department i've read that the diablo predator is good for both but I like the thought of the display... the trinity doesn't support my 04 and my brother has one and it seemed a little complicated for me plus we couldn't find the live fuel mileage anywhere. They say the bully dog gt isn't as good as the predator but maybe more user friendly for the novice and has the coach. i don't know much about the superchips and i'm really wanting to get one any suggestions stories advise and personal experience would be greatly appreciated on my quest to make my truck better.

Old 03-14-2011, 03:38 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

The Trinity DOES support the 04 HEMI. Not the 4.7 though. It only does PCM support though and not TCM. I have the Diablo Trinity and LOVE IT. It is not a complicated tuner. If anythign, to me it is easier as you can see more and now with the new CROM you can datalog internally to the SD card.

If you have the money, get the Trinity. If not then get the Superchips.

Old 03-14-2011, 06:45 PM
jakedawgwhite88

with my brother's it didn't show anything like active fuel mileage and things like that .... are they in there and need to be activated or something.

Old 03-14-2011, 11:52 PM
Brandon Anderson
All Star

I bought the SC tuner, and there is no way it could be easier to use. It's stupid simple, and I love the results. I haven't noticed any MPG increases, but I'm using the 93 performance tune, and my foot is now always into the throttle LoL

Old 03-15-2011, 12:17 AM
chefred112
All Star

how serious are you gonna mod..if no cam/head upgrade, get superchips... with cam and/or heads, get diablo....i like what i can do with my diablo as well...

Name:  datalog.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  85.1 KB

Old 03-15-2011, 12:54 AM
Brandon Anderson
All Star

Originally Posted by chefred112
how serious are you gonna mod..if no cam/head upgrade, get superchips... with cam and/or heads, get diablo....i like what i can do with my diablo as well...

That looks pretty cool, but serial port? Really? USB is so old it's probably going to be replaced with Intel's new optical technology, and there's companies that still use the legacy 9 pin serial bus??

Last edited by Brandon Anderson; 03-15-2011 at 11:14 AM. Reason: accuracy
Old 03-15-2011, 10:09 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

Serial is proven time and time again and it works. There are many forms of connections out there now-a-days though. You have WiFi connections, Bluetooth connects, Serial and USB.

Old 03-15-2011, 11:13 AM
Brandon Anderson
All Star
Originally Posted by weedahoe
Serial is proven time and time again and it works. There are many forms of connections out there now-a-days though. You have WiFi connections, Bluetooth connects, Serial and USB.
16bit ISA works too, doesn't mean it isn't an outdated standard. With USB already in it's 3rd iteration, and the USB replacement on the horizon, using the 9 pin RS-232 makes absolutely no sense. I thought the SC Flashpaq took a long time to update, but I can't imagine how long it would take to update the device over a 115k connection!

Granted, the RS-232 does NOT hinder connection speed to the ECU, as the OBDII port is only capable of a 41.6k maximum throughput.
Sorry for the OT post. It just baffles me that any device manufactured in the last 5 years would use a standard that was deprecated 15 years ago. On topic, another reason I would recommend the SC over the others, is the shift schedules that it offers. You'd be amazed how sloppy the stock trans feels after de-tuning your truck. For the price, I really feel that the SC can't be beat.

Old 03-16-2011, 09:28 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

16bit ISA?? Now that IS old.....LOL

But guys you gotta remember the Predator has been out for a while. The Trinity has USB connections though. It also have SD card slots for logging directly on the unit

Old 03-16-2011, 01:59 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

It doesn't take that long to update my Predator from the old school 9 pin set-up. It works and was free since I already had an old cable

Quick Reply: Look at all the tuners how do I choose!!!!