3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

06 hemi problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 10:42 AM
fewmopar
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 06 hemi problem

My 06 hemi has started missing like plugs were missfireing. I just put new coppers in it 10,000 miles ago. What I want to do is get my own diagnostic tool to see if I can find the problem. I may take it to Auto Zone or a place like that to have it checked out. I have for the past 50 years done my own car work so I would like to tackel this myself if I can. I havn't cleaned the throttle body yet it has 70,000 miles on it. I did it on my 02 Dakota so I should be able to do this one. Those plugs were a treat to change. Thanks for any help I get. I'm on this web site every day just checking and trying to learn as much as I can about these cumputerized trucks.

Old 03-23-2011, 11:01 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Going by Autozone and letting them scan the truck for codes and bringing them back here and posting them is the best thing you can do at this point.

Old 03-23-2011, 11:26 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

You can buy a scanner tool for $50 at Autozone of Advance auto. Or just go down there for free like Weedahoe has mentioned. They want to sell you their parts so they do it for free hoping you'll buy what's wrong off of them.

I use my Superchips tuner to do all of that. Pulls more codes than my Scantool does and what Autozone's will. Well, it' pulls the Chrysler specific codes, not just the OBD codes which for 2006+ Rams is the way to go. My check engine light wasn't on ever. I decided to check for codes and I pulled 6 Chrysler codes. CEL was not illuminated and my Scantool did not pick those up. Now, maybe I have an ancient Scantool(2001) and it's not updated or what have you, but it doesn't pick those up.
Superchips tuners are $289 so they are much more than a scanner tool, but for your 2006, the transmission options are pretty much endless... mds can be disabled... nuff said. There's a sticky at the top of the 3rd Gen main page for Superchips..It's long so bring your popcorn..haha Your transmission will be so responsive you'll grin ear to ear everytime you touch the gas. You set it to where you want it to shift and with how much pedal pressure and at what rpm. it's truly amazing and I love it.
I think your in for a real treat when you find out what the computers and programming can really do.

If you don't find any Chrysler stored codes. I would check the resistance on all of the coil packs. They should be within range of each other. I would also check for airleaks around your intake and throttlebody.
Also, Are you using 87oct? These trucks need atleast 89oct or your prone to detonation. Bad detonation and the knock sensor retard timing which makes your truck feel like its hesitating(missing) but it's detonating and timing is being retarded. Just throwing this out there is all.

Old 03-23-2011, 12:00 PM
fewmopar
Rookie

Like I said before I am on this site all the time and you two guys Weedahoe and Dirtydog are just great with the help you give out and the others guys are good to. I think I'm going to do what Dirtydog sugest and get the tester he suggested. I don't like to go cheap and then be sorry. I'm not that way. So I guess I'll start hunting for that now. Thanks again for the help

Old 03-23-2011, 12:28 PM
fewmopar
Rookie

Ok I found some superchips on ebay here is one I found. Superchips Flashpaq Tuner 3865 Performance Programmer. Will this one be ok. I have a hemi 06 2500 auto transmission

Old 03-23-2011, 12:42 PM
itsahemi4x4
Professional

Yes, that is the correct Superchips model for your truck for your truck. The link didn't work for me. How much are they asking for it?

Old 03-23-2011, 01:14 PM
fewmopar
Rookie

They are all hanging in at 339.99 some are asking 379.00. Its locally at auto zone for the same price but I save on the taxes

Old 03-23-2011, 01:49 PM
itsahemi4x4
Professional

Check the classifieds here too. You may find one here from someone selling their truck, or upgrading their truck. Search the web as well. as I've seen them cheaper by a few bucks, but can't remember where. Autoanything has them, and they're pretty good to deal with.

Old 03-23-2011, 02:17 PM
fewmopar
Rookie

Thanks for all the help I did order from auto anything it was 399.99 no shipping charges or tax so i'm good to go. I feel a little safer buying from somebody like that then off ebay and have a problem with it. Ive got stung on Ebay and try to watch it. Thanks again for the help everybody
Fred

Old 03-23-2011, 04:55 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

You can get SC3865 for around 250 +/- used off the boards all the time

Quick Reply: 06 hemi problem