3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Transmission Diagnosis 48RE

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 12:10 PM
shepco
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Diagnosis 48RE

My stock 145,000 mile 06 Cummins seems to shift from 1st to 3rd at 2,500 RPM or so. 2nd feels like neutral when I can get it in there by manually down shifting. It kinda will go into 4th when it is cool, but RPM is a little high for 4th and it will change a couple hundred (speed constant) depending upon the grade being pulled. This is a "one Sunday morning" sudden onset problem; fluid looks good and smells like rosemary lamb with mint jelly. I have not pulled that much and have been generally easy on it; but would like some upgrades. Could this be a repair or do I order a rebuild kit? Any and all opinions will be greatly appreciated.

Old 04-10-2011, 12:19 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Are you getting any codes? Could be bad/sticking solenoids in the valvebody.

Old 04-11-2011, 06:18 PM
shepco

No codes. Sounds like it is a front band. Question now is: Do I get a Suncoast or Goerend or is it better to save the shipping cost from those guys and spend it on having one built locally in Phoenix AZ?

Old 04-11-2011, 07:08 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

If there is a good reputable shop in town, I would go that route. That way if there is a problem, you won't be wasting time shipping it back and forth.

Old 04-12-2011, 12:09 PM
shepco

Thanks Ixman, plenty of tranny shops around here, I am going local.

Old 04-12-2011, 02:28 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Please let us know what you find out

Old 04-14-2011, 01:51 PM
shepco

After much confusion about what kind of build I needed and deciding who to do it, I ended up at Quality Transmission on McClintock and Rio Salado in Tempe. There are many opinions about TC's, billet, etc. The whole trick is finding someone honest who really knows the practicle side of building a tranny. One shop recomended in a forum that I checked out seemed good, but what they said I was getting in the build for the price turned out to be to good to be true; based on what I learned from several other shops and comparing to online guys like Suncoast and HTT etc. Another shop had me into a 5 or 6 thousand dollar build without any of the good stuff I was getting from Quality Transmission for much less; Needless to say: It is especially easy to get taken advantage of in this area of the auto industry. For honest shops, it was a toss up between Quality and Trail Transmission in Apache Junction for my $3,500 rebuild that I am sure will be good for my needs (occasionally towing a boat with camper on the truck). End of story; go to Quality or Trail.
Thanks for helping.

Old 04-14-2011, 08:05 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Good job on shopping around. Sounds like found the right place to go.

Quick Reply: Transmission Diagnosis 48RE