3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Some Front Tire Wiggle(Cause Vibration?)

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 01:27 PM
elks
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some Front Tire Wiggle(Cause Vibration?)

Hey all I had notice some acceleration vibration at lower speeds. Since then I have check all the rear end etc. Today I jacked up my front end. Once in the air I found that both my front tires are wiggling a little bit. Seems that both are wiggling in all direction. Front to back/top to bottom. I have about 80,000 miles on the and harder than most with it unless you count oil field and gas workers.

What would cause wiggle in all directions? Could this be the cause of my vibration during acceleration? I am going back out in a bit to have someone wiggle it while I look. I am not sure if it is tie rods, wheel bearings, ball joints etc. What process should I go through to check each?

Old 05-12-2011, 01:29 PM
Matt99
Champion

Usually wiggle is ball joints and a grind is bearings

Old 05-12-2011, 04:34 PM
elks
Rookie

What sort of tollerance is there on the amount of wiggle? I just started noticing it, but is there any way to say that they will go tonight or last a few weeks? Thanks a bunch...

Old 05-12-2011, 05:19 PM
Matt99
Champion

There shouldnt be any play, and if they allow movement we generally say get em replaced!

Old 05-12-2011, 05:54 PM
Backwoods18
Record Breaker

My step-father had the same issue in his 03 a couple months ago. Had to replace ball joints and tie rod ends on both sides now it rides fine.

Old 05-12-2011, 07:04 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Rule of thumb is side/side play is indicative of tie rod ends, up/down play is ball joints BUT the thing is gonna need an alignment when you replace either and you are going thru the same procedure basically for either one.

If the truck has enough mileage on it that one goes, you can bet the other is going to go before too long. Replace both at the same time, hell a pair of tie rod ends aren't much more expensive than an alignment, so it'd be stupid to do ball joints and an alignment just to turn around and have to do tie rod ends and an alignment in a couple of months.

Old 05-18-2011, 06:57 PM
gts747

Just happened to me this week. 2006 Ram 1500 with 60k

I thought the aforementioned replies... until it was discovered my back tire was "warping". I had the tire swapped out and I have no wobble any more. I was very surprised as I would have sworn the wobble was coming from the front end.

I have heard Dodge's stock offering on tires were poor during these years.

Old 05-19-2011, 08:07 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

check out both www.rockauto.com and www.ebay.com for parts prices online as they seem to be the best.

Old 05-19-2011, 08:35 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by gts747
Just happened to me this week. 2006 Ram 1500 with 60k

I thought the aforementioned replies... until it was discovered my back tire was "warping". I had the tire swapped out and I have no wobble any more. I was very surprised as I would have sworn the wobble was coming from the front end.

I have heard Dodge's stock offering on tires were poor during these years.
Everybody's stock tires suck b*lls! The tires sent in bulk to dealers are almost NEVER the ones that are offered for aftermarket sale.

I read a review done by a top auto magazine on the BFG Traction T/A tire (which were the ones that came stock on my Grand Cherokee) and the rating they gave them differentiated between the OE dealer model and the aftermarket model and they gave the OE one a 1 out of 5 rating and the aftermarket one a 4 out of 5 rating!

I think that's just downright criminal!!!

Quick Reply: Some Front Tire Wiggle(Cause Vibration?)