3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

loud noise under truck

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2011, 10:02 AM
jeepgeek2002
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default loud noise under truck

New to the forum.
I tried to research but i must be putting the wrong key words in.
I was driving down the highway when i heard a what sounds a loose bracket, you know how a loose bracket sounds.. no matter what speed you're at its the constant rattle but it was only doing it at around 30 mph.. i was in alabama at a job and drove back to Columbia SC that day. On the highway i could hear it but not really bad. I crawled under the truck with a rubber hammer and tapped all around trying to find what this noise was.. Nothing loose. No "brackets" loose.
The cat might be the cause, i was told by someone else that it sounds like the honeycomb stuff in the cat is loose.
Yesterday i m driving around town and sounded really loud..i d come to a stop and it almost sounded like a revolving noise. Like on each rotation i'd hear the loose bracket noise.
Wheel bearings usually Crackle around turns.. Ujoints pop.. this is a constant loud "sand in a can" sound.. I've never owned a truck so this is a 1st for me.

I m going to take it to dodge when i get some free time. For now its sitting in drive way. Dodge said the cat has a 80k warranty if its the cat.

Its a 2007 Ram 1500 with 5.7 Hemi. 76k . 4x4 SLT

I'd like to know what this noise is before taking it down to dodge. Just so they dont screw me on "Muffler Bearings"

Old 10-02-2011, 03:03 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Does it only do it when moving or does it make noise at a dead stop?

Old 10-02-2011, 09:28 PM
Hyazakite

The cat on my Jeep used to rattle like crazy, it was the insides vibrating against the shell. Get a rubber hammer and tap the on the catalytic converter to see if you hear the rattle.

Old 10-03-2011, 12:50 PM
jeepgeek2002

Well.. i loaded the truck up with some furniture and low and behold.. i think the transfercase blew up.. it sounds like a choochoo train.. the xfercase was slapping like crazy, the transmission was feeling strong but the noise coming out from under the truck was bad!
I m hoping its still covered under Dodge's drivetrain warranty?
I got an extended warranty so i ll cross my fingers.

Mark

Old 10-03-2011, 01:04 PM
Marklorenzo
Veteran

If the cat is rattling...do you have to replace it? Or is there a temporary fix?

Old 10-03-2011, 01:32 PM
jeepgeek2002

If you have less then 80k then Dodge will replace it for free.
else.. you have to pay for it.

Old 10-03-2011, 05:29 PM
jeepgeek2002

Stealership agreed the Xfercase is fubar. They are calling to see about waranty on it. I dont see why i'd pay for a xfercase issue since its got only 76k ..but we ll see what they come up with.

mark

Old 10-03-2011, 06:42 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Marklorenzo
If the cat is rattling...do you have to replace it? Or is there a temporary fix?
There is no fix other than replacement before the guts shift and clog the system which ruin an engine pretty quit.

Old 10-04-2011, 12:42 AM
freestyledude
Captain

Originally Posted by Marklorenzo
Only cheap way out is to ditch the cats and use spark plug non-foulers on the rear O2 sensors

Old 10-04-2011, 03:30 PM
jeepgeek2002

Extended warranty paid off.. They are replacing the xfercase and once done they ll look into the "whine" i got from the rear end. I got to replace that "plug" at the top of the diff thats causing the Abs/brake light to turn on everytime i take an exit ramp.
The whine would be a throwout bearing? --it whines down when i let off the gas but whines back up when on it.

Quick Reply: loud noise under truck