3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Front End Noise !

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2012 | 11:37 PM
Damion5050
|
Default Front End Noise !

I had a tire rotation about a week ago, and noticed about 2 days ago a noise. It starts up around 25mph, it almost sounds like I am dragging a branch or something under the front left tire of my truck ! It goes away if I slightly turn my wheel and or change lanes for instance.

I took the tire off the truck to inspect it to make sure it wasnt like a rock or something wedged into my tire and or something sticking out of the side wall and rubbing the caliper and or anything else. Everything checked out clean no abnormal wear or rubbing and no rocks wedged into my tire anywhere that I can see. The tires are fairly new like 1.5 years old and only about 12,000 miles on them, my truck is babied for the most part !

So like I said the noise would be like dragging a branch and or a rock clicking on the pavement, but it only does it about 25 and will go away will slight turn of the steering wheel.

Any and all help is appreciated !!

Also my truck is 2005 dodge ram 1500 laramie 2wd

Old 03-20-2012 | 11:47 PM
slakker25rs
Professional

Sounds exactly like a failed hub. Probably on the side opposite which way you turn the wheel. If you turn left and it goes away, its probably on the right and vice-versa. I may be incorrect, because mine was opposite what logic told me.

Maybe a stuck pad or caliper.

How many miles do you have on that sexy whip......Nice hood
How much do you have in the hood with the paint
Good luck

Old 03-20-2012 | 11:53 PM
Damion5050
|

Well the sound actually goes away when turning in either direction and or below 25mph, I was reading around and some people say that it could be a u joint, but fwd's dont have u joint if I am correct ? LoL that was more of a question then a statement !

And thank you for the compliments, I just hit 80,000 and thanks love the paint job as well charcoal and silver !! And had hood put on when I bought it along with custom paint when bought !

Old 03-21-2012 | 12:20 AM
slakker25rs
Professional

What was the cost of the hood and paint? Curious because I never seem to stop. Wife hates it, but oh well. She loves it when I do the same to hers.

PLease explain what you mean by "fwd". If it is what I think it means, then that is an incorrect statement. You would be mising many components that I have, but a U-joint wouldnt be one of them. You have 2wd system and it isnt the front that drives the truck, but in fact the rear. You have a driveshaft and u-joints. it could be a U-joint and would get worse under load or while accelerating usually.

Also a failed ujoint wouldnt be affected by turning the wheel, atleast I dont think, unless you are not accelerating while turning and dont realize it

Im even confused, somebody chime in

Old 03-21-2012 | 12:29 AM
Damion5050
|

Sry didnt mean to type fwd meant 2wd.. Yes I have 2wd but obviously it is rear wheels that are under power !

I am just trying to narrow it down to what people think it is so I can start throwing money at it lol. I do most of the work on my truck, also it isnt or shouldnt be the brakes because those were replaced about 10K miles ago, new pads and rotors !

Also the price of the hood and paint I couldnt tell you off hand it was all decked out when I got it, I think the sticker on the lot was like 48,000

Old 03-21-2012 | 12:41 AM
slakker25rs
Professional

Oh ok, I miss understood. Sorry. It came with the paint and hood. Gotcha. Either way sweet ride.

I am unsure then. But the 2wd does have a u-joint....I believe. I have a 4wd and have never been under a 2wd. The shaft angle would still need an angle correction, so I would assume that you would have a ujoint. If so, I replaced my rear ujoint after it began failing. Under acceleration it would scream. When coasting, it was pretty silent. I had it replaced at firestone for a total of 81$ and I didnt evern have to get dirty. The tech told me I was lucky that I didnt **** my driveshaft onto the pavement, but when I am working, I cant just stop.

Old 03-21-2012 | 12:46 AM
Damion5050
|

Well thanks for the input I will have to probably tear it about and look at it I suppose. I am just looking and reading and people are saying either u joint and or cv joint ! but not sure what applies for 2wd and what applies for 4wd

Old 03-21-2012 | 12:55 AM
slakker25rs
Professional

No cv joints for you my friend

Old 03-21-2012 | 10:14 AM
p38251
Record Breaker

I agree sounds like a Front wheel bearing.

Old 03-21-2012 | 03:24 PM
Damion5050
|

Ok guys and gals or whoever is out there ! After some more driving around with the windows down today and listening, the noise like I said starts at 20-25mph and also continues to make the noise while turning left of changing lanes to the left, so once I start to turn right or change lanes to the right the noise stops until I straighten the wheel back out ! So does this sound like the wheel hub is going out or what do you all think ?

Quick Reply: Front End Noise !