3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

E-Fan install on my 2003 Ram 1500

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2012, 04:01 PM
areinike
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default E-Fan install on my 2003 Ram 1500

Hey, guys. Thought I'd share my e-fan install. It took me about 3 hours to do from start to finish, even with tinning the wires before crimping them for corrosion prevention. The trickiest part was removing the fan clutch nut. What I ended up doing was use an old pair of channel locks, adjust them to where they'd hold on the nut and I can tap on a breaker bar on the handles. Held the water pump pulley with a piece of shelving corner metal and a couple of bolts mounted in. The holes are 3 inches apart. They key, I think, is using PB blaster on the nut. Once it broke loose (which didn't take much effort), it screwed right off just by rotating the fan. Now with the fan out of the way, I removed the two shroud bolts and just moved it away from the radiator. Nothing special.

I installed a 15" fan I got off of ebay. Nothing spectacular, but it'll do until I get my Mark VIII fan

Name:  fan1.jpg
Views: 705
Size:  59.1 KB
Here I used a flash to show where the fan actually is.

Name:  fan2.jpg
Views: 1776
Size:  64.6 KB
Relay and circuit breaker I mounted on the condenser fan shroud.

Name:  fan3.jpg
Views: 709
Size:  77.2 KB
Temperature sensor/switch. Good thing to do here is take a multimeter, measure the nut part of the switch to ground and ensure good connectivity.

Name:  fan4.jpg
Views: 1599
Size:  64.2 KB
Here I found a switched 12V from a blank relay socket in the fuse box. Crimped a blade connector, inserted and whala.

Name:  fan5.jpg
Views: 612
Size:  49.3 KB
Wiring going down from the relay to the fan connectors.

Name:  fan6.jpg
Views: 680
Size:  86.8 KB
Where the wiring connects to the fan. I wired a ground to the chassis near the battery to ensure good ground. I didn't use any ground around there. I sealed the connectors with heat shrink tubing to help with weather.

Name:  fan7.jpg
Views: 697
Size:  66.3 KB
Here's another shot of the temp switch and lack of fan/clutch assembly. There's no need to install a nut on the threads to the water pump pulley as the pulley is pressed on and not going anywhere.

Name:  fan8.jpg
Views: 616
Size:  45.3 KB
Here's that ground I was talking about.

Of course a live 12V line running from the relay directly to the battery (not pictured).

Like I said, it wasn't too hard, but I will be installing the Mark VIII fan when it comes in. At least I'm all wired up for it, now. The 15" I have is supposed to pull about 2250CFM. Probably just fine for every day driving, but when I tow, I'm sure the Mark VIII fan will shine. I will definitely post pics of that.

Enjoy

Old 05-12-2012, 04:06 PM
areinike
Veteran

OH yeah! I forgot to mention. The cap you remove to install the temp switch, will RUSH out coolant. Either be really quick and wash everything up afterwards or drain some of your coolant so it doesn't rush out. I was ready with the sensor as soon as the plug was loose enough to remove. Also, have a drain pan down there! I washed the whole engine with the water hose when I was done.

Old 05-12-2012, 07:23 PM
Wanderer
Veteran
Thumbs up

Nice tutorial

Old 05-12-2012, 07:39 PM
areinike
Veteran

Actually, that little fan pull some air! I've been driving in traffic this evening and temps never got past center, always just below. When I pulled up in the driveway, fan was running while I left the truck running and it was pretty breezy in there. I might keep it in for a bit and see how it does long term. It's a 200W fan so it pulls some power, too. But not too bad overall. I WOT'd it on the way home and WEEEEEE! Of course, the power wire and SuperChips tune might have a little to do with that WEEEEEE! as well.

Old 05-12-2012, 10:45 PM
John M
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll do the same mod eventually. I like that temp sensor 1000x more than the radiator probe type.

Do you have a controller or is the temp switch just triggered at a certain preset point?

Old 05-13-2012, 01:02 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Very nice and very different than the way most of us have gone. Its good to see someone do it differently. There is an efan over on DT for sale if youre interested

Old 05-13-2012, 07:35 AM
areinike
Veteran

Originally Posted by John M
I'll do the same mod eventually. I like that temp sensor 1000x more than the radiator probe type.

Do you have a controller or is the temp switch just triggered at a certain preset point?
The sensor is preset at 185 on, 170 off. I was worried that it wouldn't "match" the stock thermostat being 190 I believe, but once the temps climb up to just below half way, it pretty much stays right there, just like it did with the clutch fan. Even in traffic, never went to half way on the temp gauge. Seems to work out well so far.

I guess maybe that the fan might run more continuously since the temps will always hover around 190-200 .... so that might be a little something to think about.

Old 05-13-2012, 01:32 PM
04FloridaHemi
Professional

Did you make that sensor or is it something that is available to buy?

Old 05-13-2012, 09:47 PM
areinike
Veteran

It was part of a sensor kit I bought for about $30 on ebay that came with a relay, wiring, circuit breaker and connectors.

Old 05-14-2012, 04:17 AM
abarmby
Champion

Great mod areinike.
Can you tell us how the truck feels performance wise, with the fan removed?
Al.

Quick Reply: E-Fan install on my 2003 Ram 1500