3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

warranty help

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 05:00 PM
cmpx3
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default warranty help

Took my 2007 ram in for the so called 5year lifetime drivetrain warranty inspection. My truck has a Tru Flow cold air kit on it. For those not familier with it, the tru flow is not an open air kit. It uses the factory airbox and you remove the hemi hat and replace the factory rubber air inlet hose with a metal one and a foam filter. I did'nt think i would need to remove it to take it in to the dealer. The service dept. told me they were going to "fail" my truck and deny my lifetime warranty unless I could come up with some kind of paperwork to prove it is warranty friendly and won't hurt my motor. Unless im wrong Tru Flow is out of buisness. Does anyone know of a site or somewhere i can contact to help me out with this? Thanks

Old 06-22-2012, 05:44 PM
Wanderer
Veteran
Angry

What state are you in. In most states, consumer protection is under the attorney general's office. You need to determine your rights. Under the regular limited warranty, coverage can only be denied if a failure is directly related to the non factory part. The "life time" warranty may be another story.

Did they identify the section of the published warranty that lists what voids the coverage. I beleive that is the minium that's required.

Good Luck

Old 06-22-2012, 06:16 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I don't think they can do that legally under the Magnuson/Moss Act, but they may have wording in the Lifetime Warranty contract that expressly prohibits any modifications to the Power Train. If you signed such an agreement they may have you. You need to read your contract.

Although I know a guy who passed that has aftermarket 4.56 gears and an aftermarket LSD. You'd think if that passed, your simple CAI would be no problem...

Old 06-22-2012, 08:11 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Makes me wonder what they found that they want to weasel out of.

Old 06-23-2012, 01:48 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

As long as it is filtered and not sucking dirt in the engine, how could it "hurt" it. Dealers kill me with their lack of common sense or willingness to have any

Old 06-23-2012, 02:11 AM
steak59
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Did you **** off your dealership for any reason? did you ever use the dealership for anything except waranty repair?
These inspection is really all matter of perspective. But as for Chrysler, when something fails, we have to tear down the part, find the cause, and take picture, and they also want to see prove of maintainence like Oil change, Trans service, differential service records.
I believe the 5yr-60k inspection is really a gimick to tell you to do your 60k mile maint in your owners manual. I don't see any reason for the dealership to fail any customers.

Old 06-23-2012, 02:16 AM
steak59
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by weedahoe
As long as it is filtered and not sucking dirt in the engine, how could it "hurt" it. Dealers kill me with their lack of common sense or willingness to have any
well, technically speaking, you can consider it as a Engine Mod. do you think chrysler can fail your inspect is you have a Super Charger installed? even tho if you had it on your car for 3 yrs without any problems?

it is really a matter of perspective. I am sure there is some fine prints in the contract that states aftermarket drivetrain modification is prohibited. It is a matter of if they want to enforce the low and look the other way.

Old 06-23-2012, 07:12 AM
cmpx3
Rookie

The dealer is is in gainesville, fl. and I did'nt do anything to tick them off... My truck does'nt even have 40k on it yet. I keep it very clean. They were shocked by how nice it looked. I have done all the maintanance myself and don't use the dealer. For those that don't know you will get mailed a notice to take your truck in for a 5 year powertrain inspection. If you don't bring it in your lifetime powertrain warranty is void. On the bottom of the paperwork they gave me after it has an exclusion statement. It is very vauge and looks to me like the dealer has the option to use thier opinoin on passing or failing. When i left he asked if i could get paperwork on the intake for him. Maybe he has never heard of true flow, and if it was a k&n it may have been different. Basically all I have on that kit is a metal pipe instead of the plastic/rubber factory one. I think he was wanting somthing on paper I could give him that stated it was 50 state legal or something along those lines. But then again they may just be looking for any excuse not to honour the warranties. I'm just looking for a site that maybe I can print off some info about the true flow intake that I can give them.

Old 06-23-2012, 09:22 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I think I remember reading somewhere that they went out of business because they couldn't get CARB certification. I can't find where I read it, but I did find this in an advertisement for their CAI:

"Not legal in California and other states adopting California Emissions Standards; Not for sale or use in California and other states adopting California Emissions Standards; Cannot be shipped to California and such states"

I know you aren't in CA, but a LOT of places outside of CA are going by CARB certification these days. You may have to just swell up and remove it to make your dealer happy...

Old 06-23-2012, 06:52 PM
steak59
Record Breaker

well, put your stock intake box in and try another dealer.

Quick Reply: warranty help