3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Please help! :(

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 01:18 AM
mlemay
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help! :( Sudden shut off/getting ripped off on repairs!

I have a 2006 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi. I have random issues that no one can agree on, and because I'm a girl, I keep getting cheated. It started with it randomly shutting off for no reason. No check engine light or anything, just shut down while I was driving (scary on the interstate!). I was told it was the EGR valve. So I replaced it. A week later, it's doing it again. This time it ran fine, then I turned it off in the drive-thru at the bank. I restarted it when I was done, and then shut off the minute I moved forward. This happened 3 times, and then it wouldn't restart at all. Several people looked under the hood, with various opinions about sensors, relays, etc. We decided that it would be best to push it out of the way. I stuck it in neutral and they pushed. I then accidently hit the key, and it started while in neutral! O'Reillys plugged in their tool and said I have an electrical problem. On the way home, I turned on the signal to turn left, and it blinked 2 left, 1 right, 2 left, 1 right. And as I drove along, it was running really rough. I have no idea what to do, and I'm tired of getting the run around! I see there are a lot of other Dodge models/years suddenly shutting off (report them at Recall.Gov!!!). Is there a recall for this obvious safety issue???? Any help would be appreciated. I don't have the money to keep replacing parts that don't solve the problem!

Last edited by mlemay; 09-20-2012 at 01:40 AM. Reason: Add recall info
Old 09-20-2012, 07:25 AM
drewactual
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My initial response is that this is pcm related, and to tell you to check the connections on the harnesses plugging into it.. it could also be a ckps on its way out.. (crank position sensor).. the weird turn signals kinda bounce it back to pcm, though.. I'd start by checking connections, and if those check out good, and no other suggestions from the fine members here work, rolling it into a stealership and having the pcm thoroughly investigated.

Old 09-20-2012, 08:13 AM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by mlemay
I have a 2006 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi. I have random issues that no one can agree on, and because I'm a girl, I keep getting cheated. It started with it randomly shutting off for no reason. No check engine light or anything, just shut down while I was driving (scary on the interstate!). I was told it was the EGR valve. So I replaced it. A week later, it's doing it again. This time it ran fine, then I turned it off in the drive-thru at the bank. I restarted it when I was done, and then shut off the minute I moved forward. This happened 3 times, and then it wouldn't restart at all. Several people looked under the hood, with various opinions about sensors, relays, etc. We decided that it would be best to push it out of the way. I stuck it in neutral and they pushed. I then accidently hit the key, and it started while in neutral! O'Reillys plugged in their tool and said I have an electrical problem. On the way home, I turned on the signal to turn left, and it blinked 2 left, 1 right, 2 left, 1 right. And as I drove along, it was running really rough. I have no idea what to do, and I'm tired of getting the run around! I see there are a lot of other Dodge models/years suddenly shutting off (report them at Recall.Gov!!!). Is there a recall for this obvious safety issue???? Any help would be appreciated. I don't have the money to keep replacing parts that don't solve the problem!

Mlemay,

The stalling issue could be caused by many things. When O'Reillys checked it did they give you any code numbers? That would help users on the forum more accurately try and diagnose your issue. As far as the turn signal issue goes, if you have less than 150,000 miles they have an extended warranty on the multi-function switch that controls your turn signals and wipers. This will be replaced for free at the dealer. I have included a copy of the warranty extension on the multi function switch below. I doubt it would be related to your stalling issue though. As far as starting the vehicle in neutral goes, it is designed to start in neutral or park.

NUMBER: 08-002-12
GROUP: Electrical
DATE: January 13, 2012

SUBJECT:
Multifunction Switch Malfunction - X42 (10 Year Or 150,000 Mile (240,000 Kilometers)
Warranty Extension)
OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves replacing the multifunction switch if found inoperative or operating
incorrectly.
MODELS:
2006 DR Ram Pickup 1500
2006 DH Ram Pickup 2500
SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
Some customers may experience a turn signal switch malfunction that will cause the turn
signals to flash incorrectly. When selecting a right turn, the left flashers will function and
when selecting a left turn, the right flashers will function.
DIAGNOSIS:
If the multifunction switch is found malfunctioning, Perform the Repair Procedure.
NOTE: This Service Bulletin only applies to the replacement of the Multifunction
Switch. All other repairs are not overed by this Service Bulletin.

Old 09-20-2012, 10:14 AM
mlemay

Chris - There are no code issues. That's what is odd. But something is very obviously wrong. And when it stalls out, it will NOT start in Park - only in Neutral. And I will have them check on the turn signal switch while it's in for repairs - it only has 60,000 miles on it.

DrewActual - Thank you! Unfortunately, I'll have to take it to a "stealership" (love that one!) to have that all checked out. While I do have an extended warranty, I'm sure they'll find some way to make it not be covered

Old 09-20-2012, 11:09 AM
bestram

it sounds to me like a tranny sensor going bad

Old 09-20-2012, 11:32 AM
willdikem66
Record Breaker

A tranny sensor causing here truck to die and throw weird elec problems. I think not, i would be more prone to look at the PCM since it is having the weird elec problems.

Old 09-20-2012, 11:38 AM
Izero
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Check your grounds if you haven't already.

I remember once on a friends modified MR2, he forgot to put all the bolts back on the ECU when he swapped it, and it was running all kinds of messed up.

We bolted the ECU back down and presto-changeo thing worked perfectly again.

Old 09-20-2012, 11:46 AM
willdikem66
Record Breaker

Good point on faulty grounds

Old 09-20-2012, 12:35 PM
mlemay

Are these all things the dealership will check in trying to diagnose it, or do I need to take in a list of possibilities? I just want to have my ducks in a row before I take it in.

Old 09-20-2012, 12:38 PM
willdikem66
Record Breaker

DO NOT EVER RELY on someone else to find your problem, Esp the "Steralership" you will become broke...
Look at everything that is envolved, good new is most grounds are outside of the truck.