3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Test Drive with Rear Driveshaft Removed?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 09:59 PM
big guy
Veteran
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Test Drive with Rear Driveshaft Removed?

Looking for some advise here. Can I do a quick test drive with my rear drive shaft removed? (4x4) I would only be able to remove the rear section.(2 piece drive shaft) Otherwise oil would leak out the t case. I would just do a quick run up the highway and make sure the turns are very wide so I don't bind the front axle. I am getting some highway vibrations (40mph +) in the steering wheel & gas pedal. Doesn't feel like tires? U joints,drive shaft center bearing, front hub wheel bearings, cv shafts all check ok. Drive shaft was balanced years back.I was hoping to rule out or rule in the rear axle and drive shaft.
Any thoughts on this.
Thanks

Old 01-20-2013, 10:13 PM
xjfever
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes you can do that. You don't have to make wide turns to keep from binding the front axle either, you won't have power to the rear to cause any binding.

Old 01-21-2013, 01:25 AM
66three83
Captain
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Power to the rear has nothing to do with front binding. The front axle will still operate the same. That said, I can't say that that's a good idea, especially at the speeds you are talking about.

Old 01-21-2013, 10:01 AM
GRNDPNDR
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 66three83
Power to the rear has nothing to do with front binding.

.... yes it does. When the front is locked to the rear the outermost front wheel will have a very large difference in speed in relation to the inner most back wheel.

Since they're locked and have to turn at the same speed the front wheel won't physically be allowed to make as many rotations as it needs, but it still being "pushed" by the back of the truck. Not to mention it wants to go in a different direction than the rear wheels which are pointed straight.

These forces acting against each other cause the front drive train to bind up.

With no output to the rear it's just front wheel drive truck.

Old 01-21-2013, 12:21 PM
xjfever
Professional

Originally Posted by 66three83
Power to the rear has nothing to do with front binding. The front axle will still operate the same. That said, I can't say that that's a good idea, especially at the speeds you are talking about.
I assume that is why they do not make front wheel drive cars

Old 01-21-2013, 12:56 PM
Izero
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't think I'd drive over 35 mph with the rear driveshaft removed... all that power & torque are going to go somewhere... and I am fairly sure that the front axles aren't designed to handle that kind of operation.

I guess it's worth a shot... what are you trying to accomplish though? If you are trying to eliminate the drvieshaft as what needs to be balanced, you can bring it to a balance shop and have them test it out without any risk to you or your truck.

The front end will always bind when turning with too much traction... that is just a characteristic of 4wd.

There are a million and a half things that can cause vibration...

Old 01-21-2013, 06:02 PM
66three83
Captain

Originally Posted by Izero
I don't think I'd drive over 35 mph with the rear driveshaft removed... all that power & torque are going to go somewhere... and I am fairly sure that the front axles aren't designed to handle that kind of operation.

I guess it's worth a shot... what are you trying to accomplish though? If you are trying to eliminate the drvieshaft as what needs to be balanced, you can bring it to a balance shop and have them test it out without any risk to you or your truck.

The front end will always bind when turning with too much traction... that is just a characteristic of 4wd.

There are a million and a half things that can cause vibration...
Thank you, I knew I had a point. That front end will bind no matter if the rear driveshaft is attached or not. And it just seems like a bad idea. But give it a try and let us know what happened. Hope you don't wreck something in the process.

Old 01-21-2013, 06:18 PM
66three83
Captain

If you're feeling it in the steering wheel, it is most likely a front end issue. I would have the front tires balanced first, then go from there. If it was the driveshaft, the vibration would be felt, but not so much in the steering wheel.

Old 01-21-2013, 06:24 PM
66three83
Captain

Originally Posted by xjfever
I assume that is why they do not make front wheel drive cars
Front wheel drive cars are designed as front wheel drive cars. A 4x4 will move with the driveshaft removed, BUT I WOULD NOT DRIVE IT AT 40PLUS MPH!!!!!! I would only limp it home in an emergency IE broken u-joint.

Old 01-21-2013, 06:34 PM
xjfever
Professional

Unless you have a locker up front, you will have the exact same thing as a front wheel drive car when the rear shaft is removed. The reason for binding was expained above by GRNDPNDR, the front and rear both pulling means that when you turn their becomes a difference in tire trael between the two which would be the same result as having two different gear ratio's. With only one end pulling there will be zero binding. I have done this many times with my jeeps when trying to eliminate vibrations and there was no binding at any speed, or at any rate of turning.

Quick Reply: Test Drive with Rear Driveshaft Removed?