3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Fuse vs Fusable Link?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 08:31 PM
skiahh
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuse vs Fusable Link?

I plugged a a borrowed trailer into my 7 pin adapter last week and all looked just fine. Lights worked (except for the bright element of the rear left light) and everything looked good. Before I started to move, I tested the brake controller and nada. I was in next door to a trailer repair shop, so asked him to quickly test the circuits and all looked good with the truck; just a blown trailer brake fuse (link?).

I replaced it and it immediately blew again. I do remember hearing an electrical zzt kinda noise when I plugged the trailer in, but thought I was just being slow in pushing it together.

At the parts store today, I had the choice of a 40A fuse or fusible link. Of course, I didn't have the blown one with me, but based on color (a lighter shade of green), I went with the link. Haven't put it in yet, so I can go swap it out.

Does it matter? I understand the basic difference between them, but just basic. I looked in the service manual, but can't find a spec that lists one over the other.

Thanks for the help!

Last edited by skiahh; 03-09-2013 at 08:41 PM.
Old 03-09-2013, 08:41 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

what does the lid of the fuse panel say should be there. you should never install a fuse with a higher amperage rating than what is suppose to be there. how many wheels is there on the the trailer? sounds like there might have been a short in the wiring or something.

should almost have the brakes on a self resetting circuit breaker so you have brakes when you need them

Old 03-09-2013, 08:43 PM
skiahh

No, not going with higher amperage; that's a no-no. 40A is the correct size, I'm just not sure if I need a fuse or a fusible link or if it doesn't matter.

I think the short is in the trailer wiring and I'll tell the owner. I just need to put the right fuse/fusible link back in my truck.

Last edited by skiahh; 03-09-2013 at 08:47 PM.
Old 03-09-2013, 09:13 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend

the diagrams i have access to suck. what color was the original fuse. the fuses usually go by color.

Old 03-09-2013, 10:08 PM
skiahh

It's green.

The 40A fuses/links at the parts store were various shades of green. All very close. Helpful, huh?

Old 03-09-2013, 11:01 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend

i guess if all the green fuses were 40 then it would be a 40 amp fuse that you need. otherwise i would just trust what the lid on the fuse panels says.

Old 03-10-2013, 12:08 AM
skiahh

OK, I guess I'm not being clear.

I know I need a 40A fuse or fusible link.

My questions is, what is the difference between the two and does it make a difference if I get one over the other?

Fuse...?
Fusible Link...?

Old 03-10-2013, 07:00 AM
SupraRam
Amateur

Fuses are meant to blow immediately upon over current. A fuse link is more tolerable to this situation and will blow "slower". That is the only difference. I personally would stick with OEM and a standard fuse.

Quick Reply: Fuse vs Fusable Link?