3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Plug wires for the Hemi???

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2005, 12:41 AM
HemiRam9
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plug wires for the Hemi???

I was just wondering if anyone is running the new 8.2mm Thunderbolt wire set from Taylor? Just wondering how they perform. They are supposed to be really good wires alot better over stock according to Hot Rod T.V

Old 09-18-2005, 01:12 AM
HemiBuell
Captain
Default RE: Plug wires for the Hemi???

A poster here on the board Avanti, had some educated opinions on wires in another post. maybe he'll post again.

The short summary is that if there were a better wire wouldn't it come stock? Bigger wires will not help anything. Just another market scheme. But it looks like it worked on you!

Old 09-18-2005, 01:39 AM
HemiRam9

Na it hasn't worked on me! Thats why I research before I buy!

Old 09-18-2005, 05:50 PM
ultima4700

I had the same question I just installed them they work the ram runs smother and also changed the plugs to NGK v-power highly recommended from this site as you can see I’m a new member.

Old 09-19-2005, 02:32 AM
YeahItsAHemi345
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: ultima4700

I had the same question I just installed them they work the ram runs smother and also changed the plugs to NGK v-power highly recommended from this site as you can see I’m a new member.
How do you like the new plugs and wires??? Do you think its worth the extra money??? I'd like to do the same.

Old 09-19-2005, 03:16 AM
Avanti
Captain

The quick and simple answer is... wires don't enhance performance as long as you have good ones, and they are the correct ones for your vehicle.

Repeat after me, "There are NO MAGIC plug wires. There are no magic plug wires. There are no..."

This has been dyno tested to death by half the motorcycle and hotrod magazines and others. In fact, most wires are the marketing product of resellers who buy their wire in different colors from a very few manufacturers. Hence, they are essentially alike.

Since consumers want to believe in simple, quick, and relatively cheap performance fixes, there are always those ready to meet this "need."

You're better off putting the money into the correct grade gasoline and moving on to the next miracle product.

All the best.

Old 09-22-2005, 08:36 AM
raylude
Rookie

i use all ngk wires and plugs in my honda never had a problem with them, they work perfect in fitment and perfomance, now i want all ngk in the hemi so do they make wires for the hemi?

Old 09-22-2005, 03:07 PM
Avanti
Captain

Ultima4700:

Anytime you make two or more changes at the same time, one cannot know to which of the mods (or all) caused perceived changes (e.g. changing wires and plugs at the same time). And, to understand your findings, we need more info, such as, how many miles were on your wires and plugs you removed? If the plugs were marginal, sure you may "feel" a difference. The hard, cruel fact of life is that once one does something, there is a tendency to justify the expenditure of resources (time, money, whatever) no matter what the results. Research literature abounds on this process called "consistency theory" and "cognitive dissonance."

It is because we tend to sometimes fool ourselves that there are those of us who require empirical evidence of the effects of changes. The Seat of the Pants (SoP) dyno is notoriously unreliable! Show me some numbers and tell me how you got them.

All this said, I'm a long time user of NGK plugs in all our vehicles, including the race cars. But, I've had good results with others, as long as issues like heat range, gap, and series were correct.

All the best.

Old 09-22-2005, 11:23 PM
osteodoc08
Record Breaker

+1 for NGK. I use them in all my recreational vehicles I've ever had including boats, jetski's, ATV's, etc.

Old 09-23-2005, 09:28 AM
hemifever
SPONSOR

I'm a firm believer in replacing all factory electronics. Sure, take a stock truck and swap plug wires may show 0 results. Take a stock truck and replace the intake, cam, install nitrous or turbo, etc and leave the stock ignition in place is a bad thing IMO. Yea, there are no magic plug wires, but building the complete ignition system around your performance package isn't necessarily a waste a money. Some folks claim resistance loss isn't an issue with wire sets like the manufacturers claim. There are reports that show that. There are also reports that show resistance loss is an issue. Who knows. I go for the least resistance per foot and there are wire sets that have less resistance than the factory wires.

Quick Reply: Plug wires for the Hemi???