3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Just bought a new Ram 1500 - LOT of questions!

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 08:53 AM
Kasper William Eriksen
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just bought a new Ram 1500 - LOT of questions!

I just bought a ram 2004 ram 1500 4wd 5,7L Hemi, quad cab. it comes almost entirely stock, and I have a lot of modification wants for it.

first question, I ordered a 3'' torsion key front leveling kit, and a 2'' add a leaf for the rear, can I stack with suspension blocks too? or only bodylifts?

My last dodge came with a stock 4x4 locker, this newer dodge doesnt have one, and I need it, but i dont know where to look for one or what is the better locker.

I bought some 35'' tires for it, but im not sure wether the trucks gearing will pull the tires without messing up?

I really appreciate y'alls help thanks!

Old 05-14-2013, 10:38 AM
04HemiGreg
Record Breaker

What is your stock gearing? You planning to tow anything heavy with the truck?

Are you expecting the truck to be level with 2" added in the rear? I haven't cranked mine that much and I do have aftermarket keys, but I'm not sure you'll get enough crank in the front to compensate for the factory rake + 2" in the back. I attempted to do the same thing on my Chevy and came up short. By the time I got close to level, the front end was like a buckboard and was undriveable.

Old 05-15-2013, 05:20 AM
Kasper William Eriksen

I'll be towing boats, trailers with hunrting gear and ATV's, From what I can find out the truck has stock 3,55 gears, but I am not sure.

I was hoping having the 3'' key in the front, and the 2'' in the back, it would either be level or riding with the front a little bit higher, i like it that way, but I was hoping that I would be able to increase travel more that those 3 and 2 '' without having to buy one of the really expensive lift kits right away.

Old 05-15-2013, 09:48 AM
04HemiGreg
Record Breaker

I don't think you'll get there with the 2" in the back. You'll likely get to full crank before you get the stance you want. I bought a similar kit for my chevy and that's what happened - now, even with the front bars cranked, when I added the 2" in the back, I am pretty much right back to close to factory rake.

However, the reason I tried it is because the Chevy didn't come with the clearance that my RAM did and I had to raise it up to even run 285's. I'll let others comment that may have more specifics but I don't think you'll like it with 35's and 3.55 gears, especially towing stuff.

For reference, my sig pic is my RAM with no lift in the back, cranked to level in the front, and I have 34" tires. As you can see, there is still some room left. There is also some crank left in the front so if I wanted, I could have the front higher if I wanted it - that look just isn't for me - I like level.

Old 05-15-2013, 01:00 PM
08HEMI1500
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

3" in the front and 2 in the back will still give you a rake because the truck is naturally 2" higher in the rear then the front so you'll still have a 1" rake. Also, the safest height I've ever seen someone crank the t bars is 2", if you can even do 3" I wouldn't because you'll start messing with you CV angles too much. For lockers you are very limited for our trucks but if you have the money go for the locker and then regear while you're in the diffs. Since you tow i would recommend 4.56s, especially if you want 35s because 35 with 3.55 gearing will be terrible when you tow

Old 05-16-2013, 03:55 AM
Kasper William Eriksen

ok I see! so is there any alternative to lifting it in the front? like can I find some new shocks, springs and control arms that will give me a higher lift in the front to compensate for the add a leaf and stock lift in the rear?

I will go ahead and in install the locker with higer gear ratio! do y'all know where I can purchasse the parts?

Old 05-16-2013, 08:58 AM
04HemiGreg
Record Breaker

Lots of people here like to buy parts from RockAuto. Not sure if you can get what you are looking for. I have bought things from them like gaskets and hoses for general maintenance. I don't think there is really any correct way to lift the front end more without a proper lift kit. Big jump in price, I know. That was the dilemma I was facing with my Chevy as well. Either spend a couple hundred dollars on shocks and keys and blocks to raise it up but not level it, or spend over a grand to lift the whole suspension. To make it worse for me, I have a 1500HD and that is more rare and so aftermarket lifts are harder to find. The only decent lift kit I could find for it was 6" and I didn't want anywhere near that. Companies used to make a 4" but discontinued it due to the rarity of the model and the lack of demand.

Old 05-16-2013, 11:24 AM
08HEMI1500
Record Breaker

You could just not do the add a leaf and just stick with the blocks. I've read on here from members that add a leaf's aren't very good and make the ride really rough

Old 05-17-2013, 12:26 PM
Kasper William Eriksen

I found these 2'' ready lift T6 front billet leveling kit, can they be used with a torsion key possibly?

wow I actually thought that the add a leafs would creat a more comfortable ride!

Old 05-17-2013, 12:43 PM
08HEMI1500
Record Breaker

Well you have to think. Add a leaf's would essentially make your back end like a 3/4 ton which has a harsher ride then a 1500 to begin with because of the extra leaf or two in its pack compared to the 1500s pack.

Quick Reply: Just bought a new Ram 1500 - LOT of questions!