3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

At the end of the line, Need Help

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 01:14 PM
shspeed
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default At the end of the line, Need Help

This is my first post. I have read many, many helpful other posts. I have an 03 Ram 2500 With a 5.7 Hemi. It has been nothing but a pain the last two years. Started with overheating issues. Changed, T-Stat, Rad. Cap, Water Pump. Had no heat, cleaned heater core out. Got heat, but no hot air on defroster. It does have two broken bolts on the passenger side of the exhaust mainfold. Could this blow enough heat up to make the motor run hotter? Next question, Is there a way to pressure test the radiator at home? Clutch Fan, test for at home? This truck has been nothign but problems the last two years. Mainly the over heating, but it also did an 02 front sensor code again. I've put two on in the past two months. First was an after market. Second was an OEM. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Just a note, The trucks runs hot and is losing fluid, always low when I check it. Haven't seen anything in the oil yet.

Thanks in Advance.

Old 07-15-2013, 03:10 PM
chromed95
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

should probably post this in the 3rd gen section

Old 07-15-2013, 04:10 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 342 Likes on 305 Posts

I will move this to the 3rd gen Ram section.

Old 07-15-2013, 04:56 PM
SteveR
Captain

Warm it up a little to get the t-stat open and then turn it off. Feel all over the radiator to see if it's hot all over or has cold spots. If it has cold spots it is plugged up and needs replacing.
Steve

Old 07-15-2013, 07:33 PM
kenneymc
Veteran

What about any kind of white smoke or steam out the tail pipe ? Losing fluid like that, it's going somewhere. If the is no obvious leak some where I would be thinking cracked head or head gasket.

Old 07-16-2013, 07:23 AM
rought
Professional

fan clutch should be ready for replacement by now..

Old 07-16-2013, 12:47 PM
shspeed

The overflow always had a leak around the top. Never over heated though, untill lately. Checked the radiator last night. Was cold on one side, but not other. Will have a new one tomorrow. Also replacing the overflow.
On the overflow leak, as it gets hot, it is losing fluid out the top. Nothing out the tailpipes, and didn't see anyhting on oil dip stick last night.

Old 07-16-2013, 11:11 PM
kenneymc
Veteran

Ahhhh ok. Sounds like you may have found it then. Partially clogged up rad. Let us know how it does after rad replaced.

Old 07-17-2013, 07:00 AM
MikeHTally
Champion

When does it run hot, highway or traffic?

Old 07-17-2013, 12:42 PM
shspeed

This actually does it while driving. I pretty much only use this truck for pulling a trailer on the highway. I have had it get "hot" under normal driving conditions already. But, it doesn't get driven enough dailey to see much happen.

Quick Reply: At the end of the line, Need Help