3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Lost all coolant tonight while driving...

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 06:53 PM
lharrell79
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lost all coolant tonight while driving...

2008 Ram 1500, 4.7L, Auto, 2WD.

Tonight on the way home, I noticed the truck was idling rough at stoplights. Later, I noticed the volt gauge was going up and down. Shortly after I heard the serpentine belt squeaking a little bit. So I figured the belt was slipping, and that's why the voltage was going up and down. About 15 minutes later, the voltage dropped, and a "check gauges" light came on. Then the belt started squealing loudly, and steam started to come from the hood. I pulled into an auto parts store, and popped the hood.

Pretty much the entire engine bay was covered in coolant, and dripping from everywhere. I couldn't really tell where it was leaking, because it was dripping everywhere. So I let it cool for a little bit, bought a gallon of coolant (it took the whole gallon), and filled up the radiator. Started up the truck, belt squealing, and hightailed it home. The heater went from hot to cold after about 2 miles, so I figured I just spit out that gallon of coolant. Got home, with the temp gauge hovering right around "H". Popped the hood, and again, there was coolant everywhere. I rinsed the entire engine bay with the garden hose, and that's where am at tonight.

Tomorrow I plan on filling it back up with coolant, and letting it get up to temp, to see where the leak is.

With all that said, are there any common failures in the 3rd gen 4.7's cooling system? Anywhere I should look first?

Old 12-30-2013, 07:01 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well first, they DON'T like being run hot. You may have already warped a head or blown a head gasket. Try pressure-testing, rather than more running hot. Hope you let it cool before spraying cold water on a hot engine. What was the temp gauge showing?

Good luck.

Old 12-30-2013, 07:04 PM
lharrell79
Rookie

For about 5 miles to the house, the gauge was at about 3/4 to H. About the last mile home, it was right below the H. It never got into the red.

Old 12-30-2013, 09:52 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

tons of threads with 4.7s and blown head gasket so be careful. Sounds like you might be ok though. Just keep an eye on it after you find the leak and solve it. Be sure to post some pics

Old 12-30-2013, 10:16 PM
lharrell79
Rookie

Are there any common pieces of the cooling system that usually let go? Radiator, water pump, hoses, etc? This truck only has 33,000 miles on it. I usually just drive it back and forth to the grocery store, and home depot.

Old 12-30-2013, 10:39 PM
66three83
Captain
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

If you had coolant sprayed all over the engine bay, I would think the upper radiator hose blew.

Old 12-30-2013, 10:59 PM
lharrell79
Rookie

I inspected both radiator hoses, and heater core hoses when I stopped at the auto parts store. I didn't see anything abnormal about any of them. I think the reason the engine bay was covered, is because the fan was most likely slinging the coolant all over the place.

Old 12-31-2013, 01:58 AM
yahir

You may have recently distorted a head or blown a head gasket. Attempt weight testing, instead of all the more running hot. Trust you give it a chance to cool before spreading chilly water on a hot motor.

Old 12-31-2013, 03:56 AM
Prismatic
All Star
Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Check the thermostat housing too. I can't remember if it's plastic or not.

Old 12-31-2013, 11:53 AM
lharrell79
Rookie

So, went outside this morning and visually inspected everything. Nothing stood out. I grabbed the upper radiator hose, and squeezed it. It was dry, and also sounded like air was squeezing out from the front of the motor. So I pulled the upper radiator hose, and started pouring coolant in the hose, so it would run down into the water pump. I could hear the coolant running down into the water pump. Then, as fast as I was pouring it in, it started pouring out on the ground. It was coming from the fan pulley area. I grabbed the fan, and wiggled it.

Holy moly, the entire fan, and fan pulley has about 2-3 inches of back and forth play. So I guess the water pump is fubar. Gonna try to tear it down today.

Quick Reply: Lost all coolant tonight while driving...