3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Metal on metal groaning diagnosis help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2014 | 08:39 AM
ewing111
|
Captain
Default Metal on metal groaning diagnosis help!

Hey all,

Over the winter, I had a groaning metal on metal type noise when I reversed out of my driveway, turning to wheel to the right as I went. This seemed like a ball joint problem to me, so once the weather turned nice, I went ahead and replaced my lower ball joints, upper control arms, steering stabilizer links, tie rod ends and stabilizer bar bushings, all with moog greasable parts, along with 4 new shocks, the rancho rs5000 series. Install wasn't too bad, did some research before hand and had some help from my brother and father. Problem solved! My truck drives like new and steers like a dream. 2 weeks later (today), backing out of my driveway this morning... grooooooaaaannnn...WTH! The metal on metal groaning sound is back and if anything sounded louder this morning than before.

Disappointing. Is there something else that makes this sound that I didn't replace? Did I mess up by not replacing the wheel hubs at the same time? I always thought bad wheel hubs made more of a grinding sound, usually when turning around a corner while driving. Any thoughts as to what could be making this noise?

Old 06-06-2014 | 09:41 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

Just so I understand, you replaced everything but the wheel bearing hubs?

Did you check them for play? Lift the front end up and check them for play and turn them to hear any sounds

Old 06-06-2014 | 09:56 AM
abarmby
Champion

Originally Posted by weedahoe
Just so I understand, you replaced everything but the wheel bearing hubs?

Did you check them for play? Lift the front end up and check them for play and turn them to hear any sounds
I can't see he's mentioned his wheel bearings Weed.
To the OP, do as Weed suggested and really give those wheels a spin when you've completely jacked up the front and then do the rear.
Do it first thing in the morning as well simulating the conditions that you get.
If it's not them, I can only imagine that it might be the brake rotors groaning as you reverse out.
If the trucks sat overnight, a fine film of rust especially if they've been wet or it's been raining, covers the rotors.
When you reverse out, I bet you have a little brake applied. Just to help control as you reverse etc. That's what I do and I hear this groaning noise.
Could be that??
I know mine does it. But it's more of a groaning than a metallic metal on metal noise.
But hey.....different people describe things differently.
Al

Old 06-06-2014 | 10:49 AM
ewing111
|
Captain

Yeah, didn't replace the bearings, that's why i was thinking maybe the noise was coming from them, only thing is its not what I would call a "typical" bad bearing noise in my experience from other vehicles. I wonder if you're right al about the brake dust/rust making the groaning noise. I'll double check on the wheel bearings and maybe try backing out without putting the brakes on and see if I still hear the sound.

Old 06-06-2014 | 11:30 AM
Buggsy
Professional

I know what you mean about the sound. My driver side bearing went out, it was such a horrible sound, I though that my transfer case (I had just use 4WD) was grenading itself. It was a metal-on-metal grinding/groaning sound that vibrated the whole cab (**** for robots). Then I was almost convinced it was a brake pad separated and wedged in. After I jacked the truck up, I had so much play I through for sure I needed ball joints... except it was the barring all along. I had almost 2 inches of play in the wheel. If you rim has the space, just reach in and stick your finger in between the brake pad and the rotor, and wiggle the tire. If it's not obvious like mine was, you will feel movement of the rotor but not the brakes.

Old 06-06-2014 | 11:42 AM
ewing111
|
Captain

Yeah, I don't think mine is nearly as bad as that if it is indeed the bearing, its more like a long, consistent, one tone, mmrrroooooowwwwnnn...like a metal rod pushing real hard on a sheet of metal then moving down it slightly to make a noise if that makes sense.

Old 06-06-2014 | 01:07 PM
TejasMtnBiker
Captain

mine were making that sound at low speed, 2 new hubs in nice & quiet finally.... except the stupid sensors kicking the abs light on

Old 06-06-2014 | 02:30 PM
abarmby
Champion

Originally Posted by ewing111
Yeah, I don't think mine is nearly as bad as that if it is indeed the bearing, its more like a long, consistent, one tone, mmrrroooooowwwwnnn...like a metal rod pushing real hard on a sheet of metal then moving down it slightly to make a noise if that makes sense.
WOW..... Thats the sound i was trying to describe.
mmrrroooooowwwwnnn

Mine has that at times. Not all.

BTW, check your ebrake shoes as well.
Binding of those along with them dragging and also delaminating would cause that sound.
Al.

Quick Reply: Metal on metal groaning diagnosis help!