3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

electric fan/ clutch fan?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2014, 09:05 AM
BAMF224
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default electric fan/ clutch fan?

What are all the advantages of having an electric fan over the stock traditional clutch fan. I have 07 1500 4.7 quad 4x4

Old 07-10-2014, 12:42 PM
thunderhawk09
Rookie

The biggest advantage to the electric fan is It does not use the engine to run it so you get A little power added out of the Electric fan

Old 07-10-2014, 02:31 PM
Arctodus
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Besides a little more power, your mpg's should improve and an electric pulls more air through the radiator the stock clutch fan.

Old 07-10-2014, 03:21 PM
cd36c
Professional

It will also be quieter under certain conditions since the fan isn't always running.

But that is also something to keep in mind, currently your truck has a fan that is constantly drawing air across the Rad, Power Steering Cooler, and Transmission Cooler. If you do an e-fan people typically just hook it up to turn on/off based on Engine Coolant temperature, but if you are in a situation where Engine Coolant Temp is normal, but Power Steering or Transmission temperatures are rising, the fan won't turn on to cool them down. Typically this isn't an issue, but there are some situations it could be.

Old 07-10-2014, 04:25 PM
dodgetrucker75
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the E-fans are a huge hassle IMO, you have a lot of stuff to add, and a hole lot more things to go wrong, i dont understand where people think they are gaining HP by going to electric? a properly operating clutch should not be obsorbing HP, the fan for the most part is "free wheeling" pulling little air/HP but as temp rises it engauges/dissengauges to keep everything happy, ( the same thing an e-fan will do) but heres the other part, e-fans draw a large amount of amps, putting the load on the altinator and once again on the drive belt, I've seen quite a few go with e-fans and no real world hp/milage gains if at all, and definatly not enough to justify the cost

Old 07-10-2014, 10:58 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by dodgetrucker75
the E-fans are a huge hassle IMO, you have a lot of stuff to add, and a hole lot more things to go wrong, i dont understand where people think they are gaining HP by going to electric? a properly operating clutch should not be obsorbing HP, the fan for the most part is "free wheeling" pulling little air/HP but as temp rises it engauges/dissengauges to keep everything happy, ( the same thing an e-fan will do) but heres the other part, e-fans draw a large amount of amps, putting the load on the altinator and once again on the drive belt, I've seen quite a few go with e-fans and no real world hp/milage gains if at all, and definatly not enough to justify the cost
What are ALL the stuff you have to add? Fan and if you don't want it to run all the time, a temp sensor - that's it. You already have an efan for the tranny cooler - how often does it fail?
Besides, I've been carrying the original clutch fan in my toolbox for the NINE YEARS I've been running my e-fan so I can just spin it back on if the e-fan fails. My Flex-a-Lite fan draws about 16 amps at startup and 11 amps after. I'd hardly call that a major amp draw. My two 130 watt off-road lights draw about triple that.

MY personal reason for going to the e-fan was because when I'm off-road, especially hog hunting, I'm averaging about 2-3 mph, often in 90* plus heat and the engine rpms just weren't enough to turn the clutch fan to keep the engine cool. My efan pulls 3300 cfm of cooling air whether I'm standing still or cruising down the highway.

Another advantage is I have installed an on/off switch so if I'm in deep mud or crossing water, I can kill the fan temporarily so as not to suck mud and crud up into the radiator fins - although I will admit I've never ventured deep enough to actually use it.

You will get about 2-3 mpg in town at low rpms when a clutch fan is most parasitic. You do however lose this advantage on the interstate because once turning enough rpms a clutch fan isn't very parasitic at all.

Even a top of the line fan is under $300 and pick'n pull fans can be had for under $25. I'd hardly call either a major expense.

It's not a mod for everyone. If you commute most of the time on the open road or tow heavily, you won't see much advantage to an efan.

Last edited by HammerZ71; 07-10-2014 at 11:03 PM.
Old 07-10-2014, 11:03 PM
rtmtrrdr
All Star
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have had an e-fan running about 3 years now with no problems what so ever. IMO it is the best mod I have I have done to date. There was not a lot of stuff to add. It just involved the e-fan, Temp sensor, some wiring and about a couple of hours in the afternoon to do. I have gotten 1-2mpg better. It's not much but in time you will recoup your loss. I say go for it! you won't regret your decision

Old 07-11-2014, 08:17 PM
MikeHTally
Champion

My Black Magic Extreme 180 has been on nearly seven years now. Keeps the temp gauge right at the 1/2-way mark, even pulling a trailer in city traffic. Plus, it doesn't draw power at all unless it's needed, unlike the clutch fan.

Old 07-12-2014, 06:10 AM
RDuck
Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

1st thing you'll notice is seat of the pants power increase.
Minimal but there.
I ran a scrap yard Aerostar twin Fan on my 79 Ramcharger for several years.
Never had an issue.
Did notice free power.
Did notice the fan only came on when I was parked or going very slow on a hot day. Like in heavy traffic or trail rides.
79 Ramcharger 3/4t, 6" lift, 36" Swampers, towing a camper and loaded for a long weekend in the bush and going 70mph to the bush and get he fan never kicked on.
So why spin a mechanical fan?
Seems like such a waste of fuel.

Old 07-15-2014, 12:38 PM
chefred112
All Star

I've run a $25 Taurus efan from a pick an pull for about 9 years and over 230k miles...I've always monitored my tranny temps and it almost always stays below operating temps..

Quick Reply: electric fan/ clutch fan?