3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Dodge Ram 1500 Clutch Lifespan ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 03:40 PM
otrango9
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dodge Ram 1500 Clutch Lifespan ?

I have a 2008 Dodge Ram 1500 with 3.7L V6, manual 6-speed GETRAG 238 transmission. Its 2wd basic model, has about 69,000 miles on it, and I have never towed or hauled any heavy stuff in it. I don't claim to be an expert driver but I have driven many cars and trucks with manual transmissions for 20+ years. My clutch started making a weird creaking/grinding noise in first gear yesterday. By the afternoon it refused to go into first or reverse gear and the noise became much more prominent at all gear shifting. Once in gear it drove normally (no slipping). It stalled out a couple of times as well during shifting. I took it to clutch shop and they said clutch needs to be replaced since a spring on the clutch plate is probably broken. Called the dealer and was told 60-100K is "normal" for this truck clutch and they don't cover clutches after 12K miles. I have had many other clutch-driven vehicles (admittedly they were cars or light trucks), and have never heard of clutch replacements under 100,000 miles. Is my truck a lemon ? Can other Dodge Ram owners with manual transmissions give me some idea of the "normal" lifespan of a clutch on this vehicle ? This repair is going to cost close to $1000 so its pretty substantial for me.
Thanks

Old 10-22-2014, 07:42 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Sounds like worn springs to me. I dont' think anything is broken, just weak.
If you sit at traffic lights in gear with your clutch depressed, this tends to cause extra wear as it's causing the fingers to be fully extended for that period of time.
Also, It's a 2008, it's 7yrs old now.

Clutches around me last between 80-100k+ depending how they were driven as well since I'm in a stop/go area with lots of hills. I bought a car one time with 25kmi and it had a smoked clutch.

Old 10-22-2014, 07:59 PM
otrango9

I almost never keep the clutch pedal depressed when stopped.

Old 10-23-2014, 07:06 AM
chuck_hammer
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you do know a clutch works like brakes??? right!!!

the more you use it ..the quicker it needs replacement

QUESTION>... when was the last time you replaced the fluid for the hydraulic clutch system... Dodge said every 2 years.. just like brakes.. did yours yet?????

I have a 04 Ram V6. 5 speed manual (bought New)... I have pulled a camper trailer several times..... 4,000 pounds and 5,000 miles... truck has 55,000 miles and clutch is still good.... and original...

if clutch springs...were broken.. Clutch would NOT lock UP..... so not broken.
likes others have said.. weak springs or warped clutch disk...

and so you know, on my Acura V6 car.. the original clutch lasted 275,000 miles and was a NON freeway car for back and forth to work...

and I have seen people kill a new clutch in 20,000 miles...

I am a retired auto mechanic (44 years....)

Old 10-23-2014, 08:53 AM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck_hammer
you do know a clutch works like brakes??? right!!!

the more you use it ..the quicker it needs replacement

QUESTION>... when was the last time you replaced the fluid for the hydraulic clutch system... Dodge said every 2 years.. just like brakes.. did yours yet?????

I have a 04 Ram V6. 5 speed manual (bought New)... I have pulled a camper trailer several times..... 4,000 pounds and 5,000 miles... truck has 55,000 miles and clutch is still good.... and original...

if clutch springs...were broken.. Clutch would NOT lock UP..... so not broken.
likes others have said.. weak springs or warped clutch disk...

and so you know, on my Acura V6 car.. the original clutch lasted 275,000 miles and was a NON freeway car for back and forth to work...

and I have seen people kill a new clutch in 20,000 miles...

I am a retired auto mechanic (44 years....)

X2...and then some. Great post, Chuck and right on the money in every sentence.

Old 10-23-2014, 05:16 PM
otrango9

The 2008 Dodge Ram Owner's Manual states
"
The clutch hydraulic system is a sealed maintenance-free
system. In the event of leakage or other malfunction, the
system must be replaced."

I have always taken my truck to dealer for regularly scheduled maintenance. Clutch fluid has never been mentioned for replacement.

Old 10-24-2014, 11:20 AM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by otrango9
The 2008 Dodge Ram Owner's Manual states
"
The clutch hydraulic system is a sealed maintenance-free
system. In the event of leakage or other malfunction, the
system must be replaced."

I have always taken my truck to dealer for regularly scheduled maintenance. Clutch fluid has never been mentioned for replacement.
I would ignore that and change the fluid. Think about it: How can the fluid never break down due to temperature changes, from age, and from use? About the only known substance that doesn't spoil is honey.

Here's a great thread, from another forum, where a guy who services vehicles explains how these extended service intervals cause more harm than good.

It's like people who never change the transmission fluid in their vehicle, yet the manual states to do so every XX-thousand miles. No matter what the system, regular fluid changes will extend the service life of the machine. A great example is the Ford Taurus in the 1990s. They were notorious for having transmission problems until the truth comes out where the manual states service (fluid, filter chance and band adjustments) at 15K miles. Since people rarely followed the recommended schedule, it's no wonder the transmission would crap out at 50K-75K miles.

Old 10-24-2014, 05:32 PM
chuck_hammer
Veteran

thank you Gary-L,

and look at several newer small cars.. they DO NOT have transmission dip sticks....
so how do you check the level of the fluid.... you can NOT...

only replace and refill to factory spec. and hope it is at the correct level....

all hydraulic fluids adsorb moisture and needs to be replaced every few years... plus bits of rubber from hoses... bits of metal from metal tubing... and the edges of seals in the moving parts of the system....

just like the better IDEA .. modular front wheel bearings...
tapper rollers were 30 bucks a wheel...
modular bearings are 150 bucks a wheel and last 1/3 the mileage ...

Old 10-24-2014, 05:53 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Right on Chuck....

OP, Sealed maintenance free??..hahahahaha CROCK!

Most clutch systems use DOT brake fluid which NEEDS to be replaced every few years or 30-50kmi.
Even brake fluid in a sealed system degrades. Why? It's hygroscopic. That means it absorbs moisture and becomes spongy and loose it's form in heat and pressure. Ok now why in a sealed system? Because of simple ambient air temp fluctuation.
What happens to a cold engine block when you bring it inside at 80*? It sweats! Well, the same thing happens to your brake lines and clutch lines. Moisture presents itself on the INSIDE and the fluid absorbs it. Albiet very miniscule, add up the amount of temp fluctuations over a few years and it adds up.
Don't believe me....then why does brake fluid get dirty if it's "sealed"?

I like it when Ford advertises Maintenance free Lifetime differential fluid...and transmission fluid. What a joke. If that was true, they would be selling fluid and not cars.

Old 10-28-2014, 04:27 AM
soar_dude
Professional
Default clutch wear...

69k seems to be on the low end. My parents had a 71' ford pick over 300k and never needed a clutch change. My 93' dakota went over 175k but the only reason I needed to was a bad throw out bearing. Now my wifes f150 went through 3 clutches one fly wheel traced down to the clutch master cylinder having air in it. She traded it for a brand new 08' ram she has put over 100k on it and it has been trouble free we tow a 28 foot travel trailer with it all the time.

Quick Reply: Dodge Ram 1500 Clutch Lifespan ?