3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

diy single turbo 4.7l magnum

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2017, 09:19 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,210 Likes on 2,961 Posts

Originally Posted by Zack Ernst
im looking to mod my 02 ram 1500 4.7l v8 45rfe transmission to gain more power and improve the transmission. i already have a fastman throttlebody, k&n cai, transgo shift kit, sct tuner im looking to do mods that dont involve removing the motor, im also not looking to swap in a hemi or put in 4 56 gears . i keep piggy backing off this thread because i am unable to start a new thread for some reason
Do you get an error? Or what?

Headers, high flow cats, free-flowing exhaust system.... You have already done pretty much all the rest of the easy stuff.

Old 10-06-2017, 10:21 AM
HemiLonestar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

im looking to mod my 02 ram 1500 4.7l v8 45rfe transmission to gain more power and improve the transmission. i already have a fastman throttlebody, k&n cai, transgo shift kit, sct tuner im looking to do mods that dont involve removing the motor, im also not looking to swap in a hemi or put in 4 56 gears . i keep piggy backing off this thread because i am unable to start a new thread for some reason
Ok. Shame you don't want to do gears, they are without a doubt the biggest change the nature of the truck mod you can do. If you're worried about mileage because of them, there is a write up on this forum about replacing your factory TCM with one from a Grand Cherokee that turns your 45RFE into a 545RFE. These transmissions are fully electronic and the amount of available gears is completely controlled by the computer. Change the TCM and instant extra overdrive gear.
Now...I will tell you that the throttle body you have was a waste of time without any other supporting mods. It may however work well with the following: either find HO cams or 08+ cams. Are you willing to remove your cylinder heads? If you are you can either get them ported and polished or get a set that already is. Like previously discussed, 08+ heads are superior but you may not get them to work correctly on your older engine. Along with the cams get the 08+ manifold (will need throttle body adapter, as 08+ is electronic and yours is cable). This will most likely run with whatever tune you have going on, but you leave a lot on the table and will get so much more out of it with custom tuning. The transgo kit is a good idea, I would add a Sonnax line booster to increase your line pressure. Something else that can help give it punch (and would work well with the mods I have listed above) is a higher stall torque converter.
The only successful forced induction setup on a 4.7 I have ever seen was someone with an 02 that got the adapter manifold and installed the Eaton blower from a Cobra Mustang. With a very conservative tune witnesses claimed it was a pretty torque beast. Unfortunately life got in the way and he had to sell the whole works so he never was able to get it dialed in.
I've listed some good stuff for you to work with; we are here to answer questions but we're not gonna hold your hand, this is your truck.

Old 10-06-2017, 11:15 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 337 Likes on 301 Posts

I have to say, that will add up to a lot more than $1000..... ^^

Old 02-28-2019, 11:52 AM
Zack Ernst
Amateur
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Just to give an update i recently purchased a sts rear mount turbo and will be installing it on my 02 ram 1500 4.7 after i get sone 42lb injectors

Old 03-05-2019, 04:58 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

Just to give an update i recently purchased a sts rear mount turbo and will be installing it on my 02 ram 1500 4.7 after i get sone 42lb injectors
glad you updated let us know how it goes!

Old 07-30-2020, 07:50 PM
Zack Ernst
Amateur

I have put around 5k miles on the setup truck runs great and has some get up and go made 480 whp 550 tq at 10 lbs. Going to build new motor with forged internals with a stage 4 545rfe transmission and try to make some more power . Have a video on YouTube showing the build Turbo4.7ram

The following 2 users liked this post by Zack Ernst:
Joshua Landers (03-16-2021), RedRam2002 (08-08-2020)
Old 03-16-2021, 05:50 PM
Joshua Landers
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have put around 5k miles on the setup truck runs great and has some get up and go made 480 whp 550 tq at 10 lbs. Going to build new motor with forged internals with a stage 4 545rfe transmission and try to make some more power . Have a video on YouTube showing the build Turbo4.7ram
I知 planning to clone this kit using eBay sourced parts. Could you post pictures of how everything looks? I have done extensive research, and for everything except the piping, I知 currently looking at around $600. I can do all the welding and fab work myself so I知 not worried about any of that. Also, are those numbers off a dyno? That seems like a ton of power to make on a 235hp stock engine on ten pounds of boost. 10lbs of boost should make that somewhere in the ballpark of 350 to the wheels after parasitic loss.

I actually messaged you on Instagram as well.

Old 03-16-2021, 10:01 PM
Zack Ernst
Amateur

Originally Posted by Joshua Landers
I知 planning to clone this kit using eBay sourced parts. Could you post pictures of how everything looks? I have done extensive research, and for everything except the piping, I知 currently looking at around $600. I can do all the welding and fab work myself so I知 not worried about any of that. Also, are those numbers off a dyno? That seems like a ton of power to make on a 235hp stock engine on ten pounds of boost. 10lbs of boost should make that somewhere in the ballpark of 350 to the wheels after parasitic loss.

I actually messaged you on Instagram as well.
It made 475 and 505 tq on 12lbs mixed up #s I'm currently running 8lb to be safe

Old 03-17-2021, 01:17 AM
Joshua Landers
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It made 475 and 505 tq on 12lbs mixed up #s I'm currently running 8lb to be safe
Is 8lbs pretty solid? I知 going to do meth/water injection instead of intercooler to help reduce what turbo lag there will be and still get the coldest air into the intake I can get.

what upgrades other than the sts kit and 43lb injectors are you running?

Old 03-17-2021, 08:30 AM
Zack Ernst
Amateur

Originally Posted by Joshua Landers
Is 8lbs pretty solid? I知 going to do meth/water injection instead of intercooler to help reduce what turbo lag there will be and still get the coldest air into the intake I can get.

what upgrades other than the sts kit and 43lb injectors are you running?
I'm running 2008 camshafts ,2008 intake manifold comp cam valve springs , mildly ported heads with no intercooler and meth injection also . Truck has been running great on 8lbs with no issues for almost a year and half also for transmission I have hd2 shift kit , sonnax line pressure booster and 5 speed tcm from jeep grand cherokee 4.7l had issues with tranny slipping before this.

Quick Reply: diy single turbo 4.7l magnum