3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

This ones got me stumped...brakes or trans?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2017, 10:32 PM
darndodge
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So got the Ram down to the garage this past weekend and raised the entire front-end. .Passenger side checked out ok but drivers side hub had back and forth wobble/slop..Does seem the bearing is on its way out. Gonna try to do this repair myself this weekend..Of all the parts stores only a few had in stock at about $120..I can get it online for $40-$50..Would the cheaper cost bearings be that much less quality than AutoZone product??..thx

Old 11-21-2017, 10:11 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,197 Likes on 2,949 Posts

Go with a good quality bearing. If you go with the cheap feller, chances are you will be doing the job again within a year. (I have seen them fail in as little as a couple months......) Be sure and torque the nut down to the proper value as well, otherwise, the bearing, no matter the quality, simply won't last.

Old 11-21-2017, 10:31 PM
darndodge
Rookie

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Go with a good quality bearing. If you go with the cheap feller, chances are you will be doing the job again within a year. (I have seen them fail in as little as a couple months......) Be sure and torque the nut down to the proper value as well, otherwise, the bearing, no matter the quality, simply won't last.
Hear that..Decided to dish out the $120 +tax. They said it was manufactured by Moog for AutoZone but they had another bearing for about $180 under the Moog brand so not sure what to think bout it all..Hope Im not getting the $50 Chinese bearing with a huge markup..Its actually very heavy and looks well made in my opinion coming from a machinist/fabrication background. Anyways got my work cut out for me this holiday weekend.. thx for the info guys!

Old 11-25-2017, 12:09 AM
darndodge
Rookie

Just an update..of my failed attempt at the repair...Things were going fine on disassembly until it was time to push the cv axle back to get to the three hub bolts..As some might have guessed the axle was rust seized..Pullers, sledges, heat nor penetrants would touch it..And to top off the misery my tied off caliper come loose fell down and snapped the brake hose..really sucks and seems that its time to remove the spindle assembly. Cant think of trying anything else except a 30ton press..right?

Old 11-25-2017, 11:39 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

That axle really shouldn't hang on that tight. Squirt some GOOD penetrant at it, (liquid wrench, PB Blaster, etc. NOT WD-40.....) Loosen the axle nut, put a punch in the little divot in the end of the axle, and SMACK IT with a big farking hammer. It'll come loose.

Old 11-25-2017, 07:10 PM
darndodge
Rookie

Believe me..done all I could.
With hub nut off..air hammer w/point bit, sledge w/point chisel, then put the nut back on end threads and whopped it with the backside of a 15lb splitting maul..I read horror stories about this so I guess my luck run out lately and in the same boat as the unfortunate lol.

Old 11-25-2017, 11:01 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

How much for another axle? and just replace that as well......

Old 11-25-2017, 11:02 PM
66three83
Captain
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

That’s a job best left to a pro. Especially if you’re in the rust belt. Let someone else beat themselves up over it!!

Old 11-25-2017, 11:07 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by 66three83
That’s a job best left to a pro. Especially if you’re in the rust belt. Let someone else beat themselves up over it!!
I live right smack in the heart of the rust belt.... and I have never encountered one I couldn't get out...... That's just bizarre.

Old 11-26-2017, 11:30 PM
darndodge
Rookie

Not sure if Kentucky is considered in rust belt. This is my third dodge and is starting to get as rusty as my 98 did. I can believe it seized that bad after seeing what condition the brake hose was in. Good thing my caliper fell off the wire or I'd been out driving and eventually lost my brakes. The brake hose snapped in an area where it nearly rust through. Anyways got the new brake hose on and bled. All parts are back on and just plan on tackling the hub bearing another time.