3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

warped/swollen radiator tube

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2017, 02:24 AM
bakerman
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default warped/swollen radiator tube

Hi Guys

Anyone out there ever had this happen? I popped the hood to check the oil and fluids and noticed that the top tube of my radiator has swollen so much that it looks like it could burst!

Now, there are no overheating problems, and the coolant itself was changed this summer. Could this be a symptom of another problems in the cooling system? maybe a bad water pump? or the wrong coolant fluid?

I sure would love to hear from anyone who has an idea or opinion on this one. The truck's an '03 1500 4.7L

Cheers

Old 11-19-2017, 09:22 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Not sure what would cause that, aside from maybe the coolant freezing. (water expands when it freezes.....) If it makes ya nervous, replace the radiator.

Old 11-19-2017, 12:57 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Looks like someone laid across it or impacted it and it's BENT.

Old 11-20-2017, 07:26 AM
bakerman
Professional

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Not sure what would cause that, aside from maybe the coolant freezing. (water expands when it freezes.....) If it makes ya nervous, replace the radiator.

Yeah, gonna replace it for sure. (And the water pump, thermostat and fan clutch while I’m at it. )

Old 11-20-2017, 07:27 AM
bakerman
Professional

Originally Posted by TNtech
Looks like someone laid across it or impacted it and it's BENT.
Never seen anything like it...

Old 11-23-2017, 01:14 AM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by bakerman
Never seen anything like it...

LOL I have. Seen people do this while swapping out engines and they don't jack it up enough. Who knows, that one's toast though.

Old 11-24-2017, 08:02 AM
bakerman
Professional

Originally Posted by TNtech
LOL I have. Seen people do this while swapping out engines and they don't jack it up enough. Who knows, that one's toast though.
: ( Yeah, I getcha...

Old 11-09-2018, 02:13 PM
hemoir

So how did this turn out after you fitted a new radiator? Mine Rad looks the same as yours was.

I have heard it is the signs of a head gasket failing and pressurizing the system. If the combustion gets into the Rad it can blow all the tubes to full size. I am hoping it is something less sinister on mine.

1) I did recently slip whilst over the engine, in the dark. I landed on something and when looked nothing appeared damaged but maybe it was the rad that got a knock. It was not long after I suddenly noticed the top had swollen.....after a couple of weeks to a month. Maybe the tanks are allowing air in or tubes are leaking lightly lower down and giving the Rad reason to swell at the top?

2) I have a small leak on the heater hoses joining connectors that sit over the top of the offside header and frame. The connectors were rusted out and I have just swapped them for new clips and alloy connectors. I imagine these were drawing in air as they run off the water pump and then maybe dumping that air; into the engine when the heater was opened up which could cause some major pressure and sudden boiling damaging the rad? possibly I Don't know.

I was worried and did a sniff test on the engine but appears no gases are in the system.

Old 11-09-2018, 06:39 PM
3rdgens4sell
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Radiator in an 02 ram is swollen like the original poster shows. Its probably 2 inchs higher up in the center compared to normal. Was purchased with a blown head gasket so might be related or could be the freezing idea.