3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Extreme loss of power?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2018, 03:29 PM
RamFireman
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extreme loss of power?

Hey all.

I've had an 06 Ram 1500 4x4 4.7 quad cab for around 6-7 years, and over that time I've noticed my power and performance has gone down and my MPG has gone down by a couple, too, but lately I have almost no power. My first thought was the catalytic converters. Removed the 02 sensors, did a back pressure test with a gauge, and it held steady at around 0-.5 psi, which from what I've seen is within spec. I hear no rattle when hitting the cats with a mallet, so I don't think the catalyst inside is broken. Also did the temperature test when they're at operating temp, and the top and bottom are within 20-30 degrees of each other. Not throwing any CEL codes. I also read that the map sensor could be the culprit, so I replaced that. Has new plugs with a few thousand miles on them. Also removed the throttle body and cleaned it. I've run fuel injector cleaner in the tank, as well as the type that goes right in the throttle body (produced an impressive smoke cloud!), but still no significant power increase.

Only real performance upgrades I have is a Spectre CAI (cleaned the filter probably 2-3k ago) and a Flowmaster muffler.

I am running slightly over sized tires (285/70r17) but I've had that size on the truck since shortly after I got it.

Anybody have any ideas?

EDIT: I do smell a somewhat faint sulfur smell when climbing the mountain, which makes me think even more it's the converters. Called my local exhaust shop and asked what he though, and he said after all the tests I've done, and it not throwing any codes, he doesn't think that's the problem. I'm still not convinced it's not, but before I spend 300+ bucks on converters I wanted y'alls opinions.

Last edited by RamFireman; 06-08-2018 at 03:37 PM.
Old 06-08-2018, 03:41 PM
RamFireman
Amateur

Just realized this is in the wrong generation forum. If a mod could move it that would be super apprecoated!

Old 06-09-2018, 08:12 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,270 Likes on 3,017 Posts

Moving to third gen for ya.

Try driving it with the O2 sensors unplugged. See if it runs any better.

Old 06-09-2018, 10:50 AM
66three83
Captain
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Did you use factory specified plugs when you changed them? Changing brand and or composition can definitely produce that egg smell and kill your performance. I don’t care what the computer says will work, Don’t use anything other than what’s listed under your hood on the emissions tag!!

Last edited by 66three83; 06-09-2018 at 10:53 AM.
Old 06-09-2018, 07:14 PM
RamFireman
Amateur

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Moving to third gen for ya.

Try driving it with the O2 sensors unplugged. See if it runs any better.
Totally forgot to add that. I did that, and went for a probably 5 minute ride. Seemed to have a bit more power, which makes me think even more that it's the cats. With a couple different shops telling me they didn't think that was it, I wanted to check with you guys before I spent the money to needlessly replace something.

EDIT: and by that I mean I completely removed them from the exhaust pipes. I didn't try driving it with just the electrical plugs unplugged.

Originally Posted by 66three83
Did you use factory specified plugs when you changed them? Changing brand and or composition can definitely produce that egg smell and kill your performance. I don’t care what the computer says will work, Don’t use anything other than what’s listed under your hood on the emissions tag!!

When I got the replacement plugs I got what Advance's computer said was OEM equipment. The trash has since been thrown away, but I believe I recall them being the same.

Last edited by RamFireman; 06-09-2018 at 08:48 PM.
Old 06-10-2018, 01:04 AM
66three83
Captain

Just so you know, Autozone told me the proper plugs for my hemi were the champion platinum. The factory plugs are copper, and there are many posts throughout the years on issues with platinum plugs and problems. Look under your hood and use what the factory tells you to. Auto stores and the lackeys behind the counter don’t know jack s###.

Old 06-10-2018, 01:05 AM
66three83
Captain

Just so you know, Autozone told me the proper plugs for my hemi were the champion platinum. The factory plugs are copper, and there are many posts throughout the years on issues with platinum plugs and problems. Look under your hood and use what the factory tells you to. Auto stores and the lackeys behind the counter don’t know jack s###. Btw, Cats very rarely fail.

Old 06-10-2018, 01:13 AM
66three83
Captain

But go ahead and replace your cats. They’re not expensive.

Old 06-10-2018, 01:26 AM
66three83
Captain

Found this for you.
Anyways, I finally found out what was causing the stumbling and rough idle... the plugs.

Everywhere I read was to use copper based plugs, so I did: Autolite 5224 copper plugs.

Apparently the resistance or something in these Dodge systems is so picky, it REQUIRES the specific resistance of the original Champion RC12MCC4 plugs (for 4.7L) which is somehow different from other plugs. I talked to the automotive repair (also a manager) friend I know and something about these 2000-newer engines require these plugs. They even have problems with the higher end platinum and premium based plugs which he said some scamming dealerships recommend to people to get them to come back and pay more for troubleshooting why it is idling and running rough making them more money. The only time when other plugs can be used safely is when the PCM is modified with something like Superchips that alters the timing that allows for premium/platinum plugs with slightly different (usually faster) spark rates.

I found ONE local auto parts store that had the specific plugs I needed (and not bad at $2 ea, versus $2.50 per 2 pack of the Autolites). As soon as all 8 were swapped out, the D ran better than it did with the old plugs that had 90-120K miles on them. Better power, and will most likely get better gas mileage.

Plugs required for the 4.7L engine from 2000+:

4.7L - RC12MCC4 (Champion)

Old 06-10-2018, 01:37 AM
66three83
Captain

Just did a part search on Advanced Auto, and it shows recommend plug of Autolite Platinum for your year and engine. If you installed those, that is your problem right there.

Quick Reply: Extreme loss of power?