3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

anti spin diff

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2005, 12:21 AM
pythonbunny
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anti spin diff

i have a 03 qc with the anti spin diff. in it and today we had lots of snow so i parked on the side of the street in about 12" of snow with only my right hand side tires in the snow my left side was on pavement, so i go to leave and my tire was spining in the snow but not on the pavement had to put it in 4 wheel drive to get out i thought the limited slip goes to the tire with the most traction am i wrong

Old 12-10-2005, 01:56 AM
osteodoc08
Record Breaker
Default RE: anti spin diff

It usually only works if you are already moving. I've noticed that most factory LSD are rather weak. Next time, try using a little brake modulation to 'fool' the LSD and activating it. It's an old 4x4 trick. Who'd have thought using the brake could actually make you go

Old 12-10-2005, 02:55 PM
pythonbunny
Professional

thanks next time ill try that

Old 12-14-2005, 08:02 PM
pythonbunny
Professional

well it happened again im leaving a parking lot and there was ice on one side and dry pavement on the other its a hill so i get up wait for traffic and try to go then i just sat there. this anti-spin diff either sucks or there is something wrong just one tire spins if your on ice or snow and the other is on dry pavement. whats up with this i tried the brake modulation and it didnt do anything. is there something wrong with this rear or is this normal? if it is im gonna put a lock right in it cause its pretty embarassing. any help????

Old 12-14-2005, 09:36 PM
osteodoc08
Record Breaker

Are you absolutely sure you have a LSD. The cluch packs could be worn, that is about the only thing I can think of if you do have LSD.

Also, you might want to rethink a locker or something similar to the Powertrax as it can be a real slip and slid on compound angles in ice and snow.

Sorry the brake thing didn't work for you.

Old 12-14-2005, 09:36 PM
osteodoc08
Record Breaker

Are you absolutely sure you have a LSD. The cluch packs could be worn, that is about the only thing I can think of if you do have LSD.

Also, you might want to rethink a locker or something similar to the Powertrax as it can be a real slip and slid on compound angles in ice and snow.

Sorry the brake thing didn't work for you. Might want to consider putting some sand or some weight in the back as well. How are the tires?

Old 12-14-2005, 11:05 PM
pythonbunny
Professional

sure its a anti spin says on the build sheet its the 3.92 w/ the 20's w/ anti spin diff the tires are new toyo open country a/t, great traction and much better than the stock goodyears. but really how are the lock right diffs by powertrax im looking towards that. its still under warrenty but dont want to go a few weeks without my truck got to work!

Old 12-14-2005, 11:15 PM
Avanti
Captain

Something is clearly WRONG! Your experience is exactly the opposite of how it should be working and the other suggestions to make it work are silly and should be totally unnecessary. I get on mine and I go--straight from a stop. No such foolishness.

Take it back to the dealer, or first jack up ONE (only) rear wheel, take it out of Park or gear, parking brake off. Then, try to turn the wheel in the air by hand--it should NOT turn, period. If it does, you have a problem or someone switched axles when you weren't looking.

All the best.

Old 12-15-2005, 01:57 AM
osteodoc08
Record Breaker

I agree, something is wrong if you have a LSD. If it is under warranty, let DC fix it. All the LSD I have ever driven work rather well. My father's 99 F-150 has LSD and it still works, especially when going up a slippery boat ramp, both tires will spin. I'd imagine yours should do the same....work as intended.

Old 12-15-2005, 07:13 PM
pythonbunny
Professional

thanks for all the input i think its time to call the dealer its an 03 but i only have 29000 miles and its got the 7/ 70 warrenty so this should be covered right? how long do you think it would take to be replaced?

Quick Reply: anti spin diff