3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Hesitant Start

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2019, 04:56 PM
GaRamGuy
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I primed the truck three times after having sat for three hours. It struggled to start. Maybe a leaking injector flooding cylinder?? Will look at doing fuel rail test.

Old 02-25-2019, 05:15 PM
72rtchallenger
Professional
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by GaRamGuy
I primed the truck three times after having sat for three hours. It struggled to start. Maybe a leaking injector flooding cylinder?? Will look at doing fuel rail test.
There's an access port on fuel rail to hook in a gauge , I bought a cheap gauge to check the pressure on mine

Old 02-25-2019, 08:01 PM
GaRamGuy
Amateur

If I hook-up the gauge to fuel line. Would I just keep it hooked up after an initial start? I checked the readings on the rail several months ago while truck was running. it was about 55 psi if I remember correctly.

Old 02-25-2019, 08:26 PM
72rtchallenger
Professional

If I hook-up the gauge to fuel line. Would I just keep it hooked up after an initial start? I checked the readings on the rail several months ago while truck was running. it was about 55 psi if I remember correctly.
You dont need to start the truck,,just turn the key to on position 5 to 10 sec. and pump will run, after that see if the pressure holds on fuel rail..after turning key off

Last edited by 72rtchallenger; 02-25-2019 at 08:28 PM.
Old 02-25-2019, 08:50 PM
GaRamGuy
Amateur

Originally Posted by 72rtchallenger
You dont need to start the truck,,just turn the key to on position 5 to 10 sec. and pump will run, after that see if the pressure holds on fuel rail..after turning key off
Got it. I am going to autozone to rent their fuel gauge at no charge. I will keep you posted. Thanks for help!

Old 02-26-2019, 11:34 AM
72rtchallenger
Professional

Got it. I am going to autozone to rent their fuel gauge at no charge. I will keep you posted. Thanks for help!
Of course a leaky injector can cause you same issues as well ,,with slow start and loss of fuel pressure,,after checking for fuel pressure loss and if so ,I think you can test the injectors to see if you have a bad one ,, Pull your injector rail and with the injectors on. Put your key to on position not starting the truck. Just for the pump to put pressure in it. And see which one leaks. You have to put paper under neath the injectors.

Old 02-26-2019, 12:25 PM
GaRamGuy
Amateur

Of course a leaky injector can cause you same issues as well ,,with slow start and loss of fuel pressure,,after checking for fuel pressure loss and if so ,I think you can test the injectors to see if you have a bad one ,, Pull your injector rail and with the injectors on. Put your key to on position not starting the truck. Just for the pump to put pressure in it. And see which one leaks. You have to put paper under neath the injectors.
Will fuel spray all over when ignition is turned on? Or does this just happen when you attempt to start truck? I was thinking along the same lines to pull injector rail and placing cardboard or paper to determine which one was leaking. I did not feel like checking all 16 plugs to see which one(s) was wet.

Old 02-26-2019, 06:18 PM
72rtchallenger
Professional

Will fuel spray all over when ignition is turned on? Or does this just happen when you attempt to start truck? I was thinking along the same lines to pull injector rail and placing cardboard or paper to determine which one was leaking. I did not feel like checking all 16 plugs to see which one(s) was wet.
Well it shouldn't spray , just lift out fuel rail after its under pressure and hold over paper ,,

Old 02-28-2019, 09:01 PM
GaRamGuy
Amateur

Well it shouldn't spray , just lift out fuel rail after its under pressure and hold over paper ,,
The VERDICT...Paper was placed under each injector. Rail was pressurized. Paper (blue shop) towels were bone dry. Reassembled and it started up smoothly. Fuel pump or Throttle Body??

Old 02-28-2019, 09:09 PM
GaRamGuy
Amateur

Also, I inspected injectors for any leaky o-rings before removing them. It was all very dry.

Quick Reply: Hesitant Start