3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Hesitant Start

Old 02-22-2019, 12:37 PM
GaRamGuy
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Hesitant Start

My '05 Ram 1500 has 40K miles. It's in absolute mint condition. Recently (within past 6 past months) it would start perfectly every cold start (ie. very first start of the day). Wait about an hour or longer, it would sluggishly start. I poured over many threads to gain added insights. As such, I cleaned throttle body, replaced IAT (intake air temperature), crank sensor, cam sensor, cleaned all connectors to starter, replaced starter, replaced battery, checked alternator for charging (passed diagnostic test), fuel pressure is good. All parts used are mopar. I changed plugs about 10K miles ago along with PCV filter. Sometimes, I would have to depress pedal to start. Any suggestions?

P.S. One more thing...Never had any codes displayed.

Last edited by GaRamGuy; 02-22-2019 at 12:49 PM.
Old 02-22-2019, 04:05 PM
72rtchallenger
Professional
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Have you checked the injectors ? perhaps you have a weak one or just needs cleaned or new seal , check for any vacuum leaks along that line around intake area or anywhere
,,I found on mine by accident that exhaust was causing an issue ,,, mine was a little sluggish sometimes and I replaced the catalytic converters for different reason and broke them in properly and also complete new pipes an muffler and since that time it starts an runs better warm or cold but as I said I was having several issues

Old 02-22-2019, 05:50 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Is that a slow crank? Cranks normally, just takes longer to fire up? Doesn't run on all cylinders at warm start??

Old 02-22-2019, 09:11 PM
GaRamGuy
Amateur

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Is that a slow crank? Cranks normally, just takes longer to fire up? Doesn't run on all cylinders at warm start??
Yes. It does crank slowly and then fires up. While driving everything is normal. I thought about adding seafoam in vacuum line, but was not entirely confident this was wise to do.

Old 02-22-2019, 09:13 PM
GaRamGuy
Amateur

Originally Posted by 72rtchallenger
Have you checked the injectors ? perhaps you have a weak one or just needs cleaned or new seal , check for any vacuum leaks along that line around intake area or anywhere
,,I found on mine by accident that exhaust was causing an issue ,,, mine was a little sluggish sometimes and I replaced the catalytic converters for different reason and broke them in properly and also complete new pipes an muffler and since that time it starts an runs better warm or cold but as I said I was having several issues
I have not checked injectors. I need to determine how best to pull them and diagnose.

Old 02-23-2019, 09:27 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Looks to me you have already replaced everything that might be a contributor to the problem...... might consider installing another ground from the starter, to the frame.......

Old 02-23-2019, 10:40 AM
72rtchallenger
Professional
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Is there a heat shield around the starter ? If its cranking slow like not cranking normal speed perhaps the starter is getting to much heat on it which Heat soak can usually be solved by installing a heat shield on the starter; this will reflect the heat away from starter , also clean all the grounds under the hood,,as it sounds like something limiting the the starter ,,like to much heat on starter or improper voltage or dirty grounds all can make a starter crank slow after its warmed up

Old 02-23-2019, 11:05 AM
GaRamGuy
Amateur

Originally Posted by 72rtchallenger
Is there a heat shield around the starter ? If its cranking slow like not cranking normal speed perhaps the starter is getting to much heat on it which Heat soak can usually be solved by installing a heat shield on the starter; this will reflect the heat away from starter , also clean all the grounds under the hood,,as it sounds like something limiting the the starter ,,like to much heat on starter or improper voltage or dirty grounds all can make a starter crank slow after its warmed up
There is no shield when I replaced it last year. Where can I purchase a heat shield for it? I will clean around grounding cables too. Like I said, the truck has been trouble free. Thanks for input.

Old 02-23-2019, 11:06 AM
GaRamGuy
Amateur

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Looks to me you have already replaced everything that might be a contributor to the problem...... might consider installing another ground from the starter, to the frame.......
It would not hurt. Thanks.

Old 02-23-2019, 04:57 PM
GaRamGuy
Amateur

I see that there are two green designated bolts- starter body and solenoid. Perhaps attaching an external ground may help. Adding a heat shield could help; however, its never been a problem for 10 years!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hesitant Start