3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Desperate for help! Advice badly needed on 2002 Ram 1500 4.7l

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2019, 01:12 PM
aaronb_007
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The seller maintains his engine was not at fault and only offered to rebuild based on my pleas and threats of bad feedback. How common are metal shavings in the intake manifold from a previous failed engine and how hard are they to remove? My mechanic says he definitely cleaned the intake manifold out well enough and I simply paid him to install a faulty part. I am still unsure of who to trust, as they both wholeheartedly blame the other. Seller is at least working with me, should the mechanic do this for more of a discount considering he is possibly liable for the damage?

Old 04-30-2019, 01:18 PM
Alex Medeiros
Captain
Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by aaronb_007
The seller maintains his engine was not at fault and only offered to rebuild based on my pleas and threats of bad feedback. How common are metal shavings in the intake manifold from a previous failed engine and how hard are they to remove? My mechanic says he definitely cleaned the intake manifold out well enough and I simply paid him to install a faulty part. I am still unsure of who to trust, as they both wholeheartedly blame the other. Seller is at least working with me, should the mechanic do this for more of a discount considering he is possibly liable for the damage?

You've got a point there. I would try to talk to the mechanic and show them the seller and their profile. See what you can negotiate with the mechanic. Maybe they'll budge and clean out the metal shavings and maybe replace the manifold for cheap, or clean it again.

Old 04-30-2019, 03:07 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,266 Likes on 3,013 Posts

Broken ring lands are a sign of oil starvation, or improper ring gap. How did your mech that installed the motor clean out the intake?

I am still of the opinion that this was a rebuilder error, not metal shavings....... What was the original failure that prompted you to replace the motor? (I can't remember..... )

Old 04-30-2019, 05:03 PM
Alex Medeiros
Captain
Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

That engine looked like it's been through hell and back...

Old 04-30-2019, 08:43 PM
davb673
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am a bit confused, as I have not seen a 4.7L with a metal intake. All I have seen is plastic. Anyhow, I find it really hard to believe that any shavings from such work would cause the material above the top compression ring to come out like that. I agree with HeyYou.

Quick Reply: Desperate for help! Advice badly needed on 2002 Ram 1500 4.7l