3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Desperate for help! Advice badly needed on 2002 Ram 1500 4.7l

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2019, 12:01 PM
aaronb_007
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Desperate for help! Advice badly needed on 2002 Ram 1500 4.7l

Hi guys, I bought this truck a few years back and it ran good for awhile, a few minor problems but nothing major. 2 years in, the head gasket deteriorated and the truck sat for 6 months or so until I saved up enough to do something with it. I bought a remanufactured 4.7l off ebay, had it shipped to a mechanic near me, who installed it. The guy I bought the engine from warranties it for 2 years as long as a shop puts it in and they put on a new intake manifold.

Here's where we hit a snag. The intake manifolds are discontinued and he says I can ship him my old one, he can clean it for 100 bucks and then I can pay to ship it back. He says I can get my mechanic to do it to save the shipping as long as he is thorough, as any metal shavings found in the new engine will void the warranty. He says no problem and I pick my truck up a week later.

When I pick it up, he says it's running rough because the gas that sat in it was bad and I need to run that through then fill it up with premium and it will be good to go. I drive around for about 20 minutes, running rough, until it dies out at a stop light. I get it to crank back up by stomping on the gas while it's starting and limp it to the gas station like this. Fill it up with premium and it's the same thing, won't start unless I hammer the gas. Once it starts it immediately dies at idle, stays running if I feed it gas. I get it towed back to the shop who says the guy I bought the engine from screwed up the timing chain as there's now a bad ticking in the front end and white smoke pouring out a intake hose.

The guy I bought engine from said that is indicative of metal shavings in the engine due to the intake manifold not being properly cleaned and he is not responsible. I have video I will upload as soon as I figure it out, and plan to tow it to a different shop for a second opinion on Monday. Any advice at all guys?? I'm uber'ing to work and getting desperate to get this fixed or at least some money back possibly to put down on a different vehicle?
I'm out over 4k on this job already and the truck only cost me 5500 when I got it!

Old 04-27-2019, 01:40 PM
Alex Medeiros
Captain
Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

How long ago did you buy the engine? Your best bet might be to get a second opinion from a mechanic, to be on the safe side, if it isn't too costly. It also probably doesn't help that Dodge recommends 87 Octane for the 4.7 and the mechanic wanted you to throw 93 in a truck that is just being driven after 6 months of sitting. Ebay has buyer protection and if you paid with Paypal you have that as well. If you were sold a faulty engine you could keep the receipts and have the mechanics write what is wrong with the engine (timing chain as you mentioned for example) and use that as proof that the engine was faulty. Also, who cleaned the intake manifold, the seller or a mechanic?

Last edited by Alex Medeiros; 04-27-2019 at 01:53 PM.
Old 04-27-2019, 06:33 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,269 Likes on 3,016 Posts

If you put less than 50 miles on it, that is NOT indicative of metal shavings from the old intake. (I would be curious why there would be metal shavings in there to begin with.....) Call him back, tell him he can either make it right, or, he can talk to your lawyer. (and be prepared to have a lawyer call him.)

Old 04-27-2019, 07:02 PM
Alex Medeiros
Captain

Can't argue with that ^^^

Old 04-27-2019, 11:23 PM
aaronb_007

Originally Posted by Alex Medeiros
How long ago did you buy the engine? Your best bet might be to get a second opinion from a mechanic, to be on the safe side, if it isn't too costly. It also probably doesn't help that Dodge recommends 87 Octane for the 4.7 and the mechanic wanted you to throw 93 in a truck that is just being driven after 6 months of sitting. Ebay has buyer protection and if you paid with Paypal you have that as well. If you were sold a faulty engine you could keep the receipts and have the mechanics write what is wrong with the engine (timing chain as you mentioned for example) and use that as proof that the engine was faulty. Also, who cleaned the intake manifold, the seller or a mechanic?
Sorry, after rereading my post I wasn't very clear at all; the mechanic cleaned the intake manifold after the seller recommended someone local do it to avoid the shipping costs. The truck is definitely going to a second mechanic on Monday for another opinion on the cause of this trouble.

I bought the engine at the end of the March, this has all played out over the last 3 weeks after the engine was received by the mechanic.

I'm glad to hear it couldn't be metal shavings tearing things up yet, it's some hope I guess!

Old 04-27-2019, 11:52 PM
Alex Medeiros
Captain

Originally Posted by aaronb_007
Sorry, after rereading my post I wasn't very clear at all; the mechanic cleaned the intake manifold after the seller recommended someone local do it to avoid the shipping costs. The truck is definitely going to a second mechanic on Monday for another opinion on the cause of this trouble.

I bought the engine at the end of the March, this has all played out over the last 3 weeks after the engine was received by the mechanic.

I'm glad to hear it couldn't be metal shavings tearing things up yet, it's some hope I guess!

Save the messages between you and the seller, especially when they told you to go local with the manifold getting cleaned. For now you probably need that second opinion, that'll be very helpful.

Old 04-30-2019, 12:04 PM
aaronb_007

Here is a video the mechanic just shot with a scope inside cylinder 2. The seller says this damage is caused by metal shavings not being properly cleaned out of the intake manifold from the last engine failing. The mechanic maintains I was duped in to buying a used engine branded as remanufactured and this is solid proof. After confrontation, the seller offers a full refund if I pay shipping, or to rebuild this one free of charge if I pay to send it back. My mechanic quoted 880 to take the new engine out but will reduce it to 600 considering the plight I'm in. I still have my core and the engine in his shop and the shipping is paid to send the core back.

Any advice on if this is a new part with recent damage or if it is a used part would be greatly appreciated.

Old 04-30-2019, 12:16 PM
Alex Medeiros
Captain

https://youtu.be/JKz4XiXcuLc

Here is a video the mechanic just shot with a scope inside cylinder 2. The seller says this damage is caused by metal shavings not being properly cleaned out of the intake manifold from the last engine failing. The mechanic maintains I was duped in to buying a used engine branded as remanufactured and this is solid proof. After confrontation, the seller offers a full refund if I pay shipping, or to rebuild this one free of charge if I pay to send it back. My mechanic quoted 880 to take the new engine out but will reduce it to 600 considering the plight I'm in. I still have my core and the engine in his shop and the shipping is paid to send the core back.

Any advice on if this is a new part with recent damage or if it is a used part would be greatly appreciated.

What's the seller's Ebay username? I'm curious to look up the seller. If they seem like a good/experienced seller you might want to take up the offer on the rebuild. How much did you pay for the replacement engine? Also, any idea how much it would cost to ship it back to get rebuilt? If the cost to ship it back is too much you'd be best to just return it and see if Ebay can refund you the money it cost to ship it back, as it's not your fault the engine came in faulty...

Old 04-30-2019, 12:43 PM
aaronb_007

The sellers name is rebuiltengines4less, here is a link the the engine I bought.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dodge-Chrys...7/252322810815

It has 169 sold with 100% positive feedback, which is why I felt confident buying from him.

Old 04-30-2019, 12:56 PM
Alex Medeiros
Captain

The sellers name is rebuiltengines4less, here is a link the the engine I bought.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dodge-Chrys...7/252322810815

It has 169 sold with 100% positive feedback, which is why I felt confident buying from him.

I like what I'm seeing from the seller. 100% feedback with over 1,500 sales is a good sign. Try to see if you can have the engine shipped back and rebuilt, WITHOUT PAYING FOR SHIPPING. Since there was a defect in the engine you should not lose money with the money back guarentee, and you have proof from a mechanic w/ video too. The seller should not be charging you shipping as it is their fault the engine is not correctly described. Contact Ebay support if the seller does not budge with an agreement from you. Or if you really can't wait then send the engine back and have them rebuild it. Personally I would trust them from what I can see.

Quick Reply: Desperate for help! Advice badly needed on 2002 Ram 1500 4.7l