3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2005 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2019, 09:54 PM
AmandasBlueberry
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi 4x4

Hello everyone,

First I am sorry if this was asked before, I tried searching and couldn't find exactly what I was looking for.
I am learning as I go with this, so please bear with me

I am wanting to replace my stock transmission cooler with one from a 2500 5.7. There is a few upgrades I was hoping to do to it, but finding any upgraded parts for my 1500 is almost impossible (or I am not looking in the right place) so I was thinking about using parts for a 2500. Are there engine parts that are interchangeable so I can prolong the life of my truck?
Or did Dodge use the exact same parts on the 2500 as the 1500 and just use heavier suspension parts?

Again sorry to sound moronic, I acquired this truck and trying to learn all I can.

Thanks in advance - Amanda

Old 11-15-2019, 11:14 PM
FaceDeAce
Veteran
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Kinda of a generic question. Some parts fit, some parts don't. Generic answer.
Other than the trans cooler, what other parts are you thinking about? What upgrades have you in mind?
The 2500 is a different chassis. Much will not fit. But some will. It is kind of a module by module thing.
In other words, you will have to be specific with your question(s).

On the cooler, just look at some of the aftermarket coolers available. They work fine, great. Here is one of many links to get you going in the right direction towards a decision.
https://www.etrailer.com/faq-engine-...n-coolers.aspx
https://www.etrailer.com/fitguidetran.htm
https://www.etrailer.com/tran-2005_D...+Engine+-+HEMI

The following users liked this post:
AmandasBlueberry (11-16-2019)
Old 11-16-2019, 09:27 AM
AmandasBlueberry

I'm sorry for the generic question, I'll work on learning to be more specific.. I'm just overwhelmed.

The transmission right works great until I want to tow. Nothing heavy, I have a 26' foot car hauler that I put a Toyota prerunner on, I can't tow it (I was told) because the transmission needs a new cooler, and overheats when under load. So I need to replace it, but wanted to get a heavier duty one if possible. That's why I thought one from a 2500 would be possible.

I guess that is when I started thinking about everything else about the truck.

Old 11-16-2019, 10:33 AM
AKCallahan
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AmandasBlueberry
I'm sorry for the generic question, I'll work on learning to be more specific.. I'm just overwhelmed.

The transmission right works great until I want to tow. Nothing heavy, I have a 26' foot car hauler that I put a Toyota prerunner on, I can't tow it (I was told) because the transmission needs a new cooler, and overheats when under load. So I need to replace it, but wanted to get a heavier duty one if possible. That's why I thought one from a 2500 would be possible.

I guess that is when I started thinking about everything else about the truck.
If I were you'd, I'd stick with parts designated for your model due to the fact, as mentioned before, that compatibility might be an issue. Spacing, mounting, and other aspects could negative impact your attempt to use something other than what's meant for your model. There should be plenty of aftermarket coolers to choose from that provide "heavy duty" performance, just like brakes.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...il+cooler,2088

Old 11-16-2019, 01:02 PM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker
Received 102 Likes on 95 Posts

How much does the trailer weigh loaded? 26 foot is not your typically single car hauler.

Old 11-16-2019, 01:41 PM
Magnoom
Record Breaker
Received 221 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by AmandasBlueberry
Hello everyone,

First I am sorry if this was asked before, I tried searching and couldn't find exactly what I was looking for.
I am learning as I go with this, so please bear with me

I am wanting to replace my stock transmission cooler with one from a 2500 5.7. There is a few upgrades I was hoping to do to it, but finding any upgraded parts for my 1500 is almost impossible (or I am not looking in the right place) so I was thinking about using parts for a 2500. Are there engine parts that are interchangeable so I can prolong the life of my truck?
Or did Dodge use the exact same parts on the 2500 as the 1500 and just use heavier suspension parts?

Again sorry to sound moronic, I acquired this truck and trying to learn all I can.

Thanks in advance - Amanda
Ok, you've gotten some good and not so good answers. You can either stop at a 2500 cooler (little bigger) or step up to the 3500 cooler (much bigger). Either are plug and play bolt ins. See 3500 cooler below:

Mine is an OEM Mopar cooler, p/n 52029089AB, but any direct replacement aftermarket one will work too: https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...il+cooler,2088
2005 5.7 engine parts are exactly the same between 1500 and 2500/3500 with the exception of the 1500 having EGR, so trying to use 2500 parts will not help you.
1500 and HD frames are very different as are the suspension components and running gear. The only things that are directly swappable back and forth in that generation are the engine, transmission and most of the body and interior parts; that's it.

The following 2 users liked this post by Magnoom:
AmandasBlueberry (11-16-2019), FaceDeAce (11-16-2019)
Old 11-16-2019, 01:44 PM
Magnoom
Record Breaker
Received 221 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by fj5gtx
How much does the trailer weigh loaded? 26 foot is not your typically single car hauler.
This is probably the most important question; will you be overloading your truck attempting to tow that load?

Old 11-16-2019, 01:44 PM
AmandasBlueberry
Default Thank you so much

Thank you got the info, I was starting to think I was on crack thinking it might work. I appreciate all info.

Old 11-16-2019, 01:46 PM
AmandasBlueberry

Originally Posted by Magnoom
This is probably the most important question; will you be overloading your truck attempting to tow that load?
The trailer has a dry weight of 900ish lbs and my prerunner is under 2000 so I'm assuming I'm good. I used to haul it with my dad's F150 with no issues.

Old 11-16-2019, 01:49 PM
AmandasBlueberry

Originally Posted by fj5gtx

Quick Reply: 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi 4x4